kernel compiling in woof-ce

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Dry Falls

fixed?

#106 Post by Dry Falls »

I think I've fixed it, starting with line 209:

Code: Select all

CONFIG_BPF_SYSCALL=y
CONFIG_SHMEM=y
CONFIG_AIO=y
CONFIG_ADVISE_SYSCALLS=y
[/code]
Attachments
DOTconfig.gz
(34.96 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

stemsee

#107 Post by stemsee »

Excellent stuff! So now chrome works properly, right? I have been trying to incorporate popcorn into my own distro, and even trying to upgrade the kernel in Chromecastpup-v3 but chrome always has problems and popcorn depends on chrome (apparently).

So I will change that for all configs and release sukk-1.0 after testing.

stemsee

#108 Post by stemsee »

sukk-1.0 with DryFalls config edits, small bug fix for aufs download file.
Attachments
sukk-1.0.tar.gz
(115.21 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

Dry Falls

#109 Post by Dry Falls »

Thanks Stemsee. This link Diseased Newt might explain why syscall/bpf is the key. syscall has to be enabled. Peebee directed me (thanks, Peebe) to the kernel/modules for the fatdog700 final (k3.18.7) which he used in the upgrade of LxPup64 from 14 to 15. Well, it runs lighthouse tolerably well even though I've yet to get fd700 to boot on this machine since the change from k3.16.2 (although virtual machine will boot it!). That is how I extracted the file to compare to my config from JL64-3.18.8. Unfortunately, their config file won't recompile in your kit because of a check built in to detect changes (as near as I can tell) and terminate the compile if found. Seems kind of proprietary to me, but that's just me. Anyway, while the new compile works well in lighthouse, I couldn't guarantee it will work with other distros. For example, I couldn't get LxPup64-14 to boot with it, so please be for-warned. It may not generalize. I'm going to try it in fatdog and see if it will finally boot to a desktop, but at the moment it's not a big priority.

df

stemsee

#110 Post by stemsee »

Well, your discovery has solved my chrome and popcorn problems. I have updated Chromecastpup-v3 to 3.19.2-64bit kernel.

NOTE BENE: I had to install the modules with headers to the savefile in order for them to load on boot!! They would not load as an zdrv_*_.sfs !!

So now I will remaster with modules 'in' after deleting old modules.

stemsee

#111 Post by stemsee »

kernel packages 3.19.2 pae and 64 appearing shortly!

stemsee

#112 Post by stemsee »

peebee

#113 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:3.19.2-64

https://mega.nz/#F!9IBCiA6C

3.19.2-pae

https://mega.nz/#!oFhBjQRK
Hi stemsee

Encryption keys are needed to download......

Thanks
PeeBee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Flummoxed but pleasantly surprised

#115 Post by peebee »

Hi stemsee

Thanks - but those links are the same - and lead to the 64 bit kernel

I downloaded it (thinking it was the pae version) and put it into a 32-bit LxPup15.03-pae install. It was only when I did some pup-sysinfo checks that I realised that I had a 64-bit kernel.

It all worked successfully which is great but now I'm really confused as I ended up with a 64-bit kernel and a 32-bit system which logic tells me shouldn't have worked. Can a 64-bit kernel run 32-bit programs???

Everything I tried worked - including adding a 32-bit sfs of Chromium.

Is there any need for the pae version if the 64-bit runs 32-bit with no problems?????

My laptop only has 4GB of ram - would a mixed 64/32 system support >4GB?

Looking forward to some enlightenment!
Cheers
peebee

p.s. any chance of kernel sources so that I can try compiling drivers?

p.p.s then tried the 64-bit kernel with LxPup64-15.03 and of course that worked OK as well.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(94.14 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

#116 Post by stemsee »

pae

https://mega.co.nz/#!oFhBjQRK!ULW5BbK6M ... 6oA5iqba3Q

fingers crossed

64bit with ia32 enabled in config runs all 64 and 32 bit programs when libraries are available. Aslo qemu will let you run 64 bit iso on 32bit system with 64bit kernel.

64bit kernel will recognize and use ram upto 64gb (i think) pae will use ram differently ... jamesbond says it is better to use a 64bit kernel over a pae kernel.

If compiling for 32 bit using 64bit kernel then you must specify arch as 32bit in configure.

Dry Falls

SUKK-1.0

#117 Post by Dry Falls »

I think it's done, and I'm keeping it! Sukk1.0 jut flew through its thing and produced a really nice kernel package. 3.19.2 runs things really well, and from the looks of things, deals better with f2fs (although personally, I'm sticking with EXT4).

All I did to interfere was rebuild the kernel modules to include kernel headers. Even so, Edit-SFS (parallel mksquash using 4 processors) compressed the new file down from 44 to 39M. Kernel sources compressed from 106 to 91M.

Great job. I'm going to write a batch file to start up Sukk1.0 and include it in JL64, if that's alright.

df

stemsee

#118 Post by stemsee »

That's alright with me!

stemsee

#119 Post by stemsee »

Sukk-1.0 is good for single kernel builds at-a-time but not auto consecutive builds. So here is sukk-1.1 and if you haven't got time to waste don't download it yet.

I realised that variable '$arch' was being reused ... Oops! (frickin amateur!)
Also solved consecutive building. And added menu item '888' reconfigure DOTconfigs then build 64 bit kernel. And tidied up a bit.

As usual , I release it first and test it later! Because I am not properly trained!! Not because I want to sabotage your own efforts. I'm just eager to get it out there.

But I will set it to build 3.19.3, 64, pae and nonpae kernels tonight. Should take about 3 hours.

To do :-
1 Add 4.0-rc* handling
2 Add remove non-system specific modules.
Attachments
sukk-1.1.tar.gz
(114.87 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

stemsee

#120 Post by stemsee »

sukk-1.2
Attachments
sukk-1.2.tar.gz
(115.25 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

stemsee

#121 Post by stemsee »

SUKK-1.4 - tested, goes all the way through with three builds!
Headers in with modules. arch identified from build* config not running system.
Last edited by stemsee on Thu 02 Apr 2015, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#122 Post by peebee »

Hi Stemsee

I've made an experimental build of LxPup using your 3.19.2-pae kernel.

It works great on 2 of my test machines (my desktop & a recently acquired Asus laptop)

but on my other, older, HP550 laptop I get lots of crash reports in dmesg - but strangely the system appears to work ok despite these crashes. They appear to be related to the graphics in this laptop - I've never previously had any problems with it.....

Attached I've included a screenshot, the dmesg output and a video report (both with false .gz).

Cheers
peebee
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(100.54 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
dmesg.gz
(2.74 KiB) Downloaded 212 times
video-info-glx.gz
(864 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times

stemsee

#123 Post by stemsee »

Hi peebee

I had a look . My opengl renderer is Gallium 0.4 no probs on core i5. I googled but nothing specific comes up! Actually I have no idea! What is the brand model and spec of the machine?

peebee

#124 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:Hi peebee

I had a look . My opengl renderer is Gallium 0.4 no probs on core i5. I googled but nothing specific comes up! Actually I have no idea! What is the brand model and spec of the machine?
Hi Stemsee

Hewlett Packard 550

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 550 @ 2.00GHz
Memory : 2059MB (396MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : LxPup - 15.03
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 30 Mar 2015 19:57:58 BST
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 965GME/GLE x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter : PC-Speaker - pcsp
-Input Devices-
Sleep Button
Lid Switch
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
HP WMI hotkeys
PC Speaker
Video Bus
SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA FUJITSU MHZ2160B
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L

8Geee

#125 Post by 8Geee »

peebee:

in /usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri

do you have both the i915 and i965 drivers?
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."