Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 20 Jan 2020, 12:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Multiple package installation/removal with PPM
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 21 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 01:29    Post subject:  

If you are really keen of having it twisted and broken you should advertise it in the users forum. I'm not sure how many users pay a frequent visit to this geeks corner of the the Puppy forum. And if you want results, you should give it more testing time. This is no critical security fix, I see no reason to rush it.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 03:22    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
If you are really keen of having it twisted and broken you should advertise it in the users forum. I'm not sure how many users pay a frequent visit to this geeks corner of the the Puppy forum. And if you want results, you should give it more testing time. This is no critical security fix, I see no reason to rush it.

Do you think so?
Looking at the views/replies ratio, I have the feeling that all the active threads with the exception of those of the leading/official pupplet(s) get ~30 hits per post and as they age they may rise to 40 or 50. This is also true for cutting edge.
Also looking at download/views where a pet and an image are on the same post you start with 1/20 and with time may go to 1/10. And this is across the board.
But maybe there are indeed different persons frequenting one or the other sub-forum. So where would you recommend (to move v1.9) the "Users" or "Additional software >> System"?

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 03:49    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
But maybe there are indeed different persons frequenting one or the other sub-forum. So where would you recommend (to move v1.9) the "Users" or "Additional software >> System"?
When I started with Puppy I only frequented Beginners and Users forum. Beginners are the better testers, but since you would need persons with a bit of knowledge of the old version "Users" might be a better place. And if our dear moderator allows you shouldn't move it there, just solicit testers and opinions, but keep the main thread here. "Additional software" would be wrong as this is a prototype and not meant to last and also not "additional". I also noticed that ppm/petget stuff is more likely to find in "Utilities", but it appears that none of the categories really fit.
MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 04:32    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
I would appreciate if you try to "break it" in any (un)imaginable way(...) because stability is the most important part before it goes to woof.
Don't worry, took me only 2 minutes. A new record. Do I get a price?
Downloaded 1.8.5, installed it, tried to uninstall a pet, doesn't work. Hmm, how unimaginable is a user turning down the advice to install libstardust? So downloaded the newest libstardust stuff, clicked on the pet, confirmation box appears , clicked Yes....and nothing happens. The new petget can't install libstardust because now petget requires libstardust to work, and it must be the newest one, because the old one installed on my machine (April 2014), won't do .....grrrr! A command line tool with the need for a specific GUI tool and without a gentle fallback option. I wish you wouldn't include it in the 1.8.5 pet.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 04:54    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
I would appreciate if you try to "break it" in any (un)imaginable way(...) because stability is the most important part before it goes to woof.
Don't worry, took me only 2 minutes. A new record. Do I get a price?
Downloaded 1.8.5, installed it, tried to uninstall a pet, doesn't work. Hmm, how unimaginable is a user turning down the advice to install libstardust? So downloaded the newest libstardust stuff, clicked on the pet, confirmation box appears , clicked Yes....and nothing happens. The new petget can't install libstardust because now petget requires libstardust to work, and it must be the newest one, because the old one installed on my machine (April 2014), won't do .....grrrr! A command line tool with the need for a specific GUI tool and without a gentle fallback option. I wish you wouldn't include it in the 1.8.5 pet.

Sorry no prise. This is a known problem with libstardust. That's why the warning and offer to download in the install script.
You need to use PPM to uninstall itself (!) then install libstartdust and then re-inistall the new PPM.
But you have to read the warnings and follow the instructions Wink ... That's why is "cutting edge" Laughing
For genera consumptions I'll probably include libstardust in the pet even if its going to be redundant for users of modern puppies.

MochiMoppel

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 05:26    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
For genera consumptions I'll probably include libstardust in the pet even if its going to be redundant for users of modern puppies.
I'm running the newest Slacko with libstardust installed. How modern do I have to be?

I pulled the stuff manually from the libstardus pet and copied it to the proper directories. Confirmation button now responds and I received a beautilful "libstardust-150130.pet failed to install" message. Crying or Very sad

I've done my share for today. Good night.

P.S. Other pets install fine, only the dust doesn't.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 05:50    Post subject:  

MochiMoppel wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
I'm running the newest Slacko with libstardust installed. How modern do I have to be?

Tahr 6.0.1 or latter!
It was a warning about it on the install script. No?
The script checks to see if you have what is required.

MochiMoppel wrote:
I pulled the stuff manually from the libstardus pet and copied it to the proper directories. Confirmation button now responds and I received a beautilful "libstardust-150130.pet failed to install" message. Crying or Very sad

Now, how can someone reproduce that? Shocked

MochiMoppel wrote:
I've done my share for today. Good night.

This must be it then Laughing

stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 05:58    Post subject:  

A nice feature non-essential, for me would be the ability to open the downloads folder from ppm, and also the option to batch install whatever is in the downloads folder, and also option to extract the pets in download folder. I mean custom download folder for ppm of course not /Downloads. Probably you will say there are already apps to do that.....requiring half a dozen or so more clicks.

I agree that Description should be visible.
buti

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 08:02    Post subject:  

bigpup wrote:

The default width of PPM main window should be wider.
With two columns of package lists showing.
The one on the right side is a little small. Not much information is visible unless you make the whole window wider.

I know, use the side scroll.
However, with a small adjustment to the window width. The right column looks better if nothing else.

Making the default width, full screen, makes both columns show much more information, without having to side scroll.

Wouldn't it be even better to have the "Packages to install" column below the "category" and "package" columns? It could have just a few lines of height, so it would not add much to the actual overall height and have more information available in the "package" column that could be wider.

I agree that it is much easier to scroll vertically than horizontally.
mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 09:20    Post subject:  

buti wrote:
Wouldn't it be even better to have the "Packages to install" column below the "category" and "package" columns?

Good idea!
Actually the main window has sufficient space to grow vertically before the 620 limit is reached.
Is a matter of "aesthetics" but also the risk to confuse it with the classic UI where installed packages are below the available, but it could be tried.
Zigbert?

mavrothal

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 13:22    Post subject:  

So here is the horizontal layout of the new PPM with the same overall dimensions as the original.
I kind of like it Very Happy
Zig can probably make it better if he gets the chance/wish.

Votes?
PPM_vert.png
 Description   
 Filesize   111.86 KB
 Viewed   159 Time(s)

PPM_vert.png

PPM_vert_rem.png
 Description   
 Filesize   109.2 KB
 Viewed   157 Time(s)

PPM_vert_rem.png

stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 14:08    Post subject:  

I favor the new layout. So much less clutter.
ASRI éducation

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 14:56    Post subject:  

I prefer PPM_vert
buti

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 15:42    Post subject:  

Nice! Cool
zigbert

PostPosted: Tue 03 Feb 2015, 16:21    Post subject:  

mavrothal wrote:
Zig can probably make it better
No, he can't. This is clutter! Evil or Very Mad (imho)

The solution can be to detect width of screen at startup and increase width of main window if possible.
Code:
SCREEN_HEIGHT=$(xwininfo -root | grep -m 1 '\geometry' | cut -f4 -d ' ' | cut -f1 -d 'x')
To increase the mid-tree widget more than the right one, change the width values in line 549 and 561.

Sorry for my rant - you are all good guys, and the work mavrohtal has done here is enormous.
He should get huge amount of cred for digging inside this deepest matter of Puppy - but gui-designer - he is not.

Page 21 of 24 [351 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Cutting edge
Jump to: