Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 01:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48 (SOLVED)
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2014, 10:39    Post subject:  Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48 (SOLVED)  

Hello puppians
I used to be able to save a graphic in mtpaint to GIF format so that I could create an lss file using giftolss. But mtpaint-3.44.48 doesn't have the option to save as GIF it seems anymore or maybe only in slacko builds. Can't find in either slacko-5.7 or tahrpup.

Perl is included in slacko-5.7. If I can get a link to a ppmtolss16 pet that would help.

Last edited by B.K. Johnson on Wed 03 Dec 2014, 03:04; edited 1 time in total
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:26    Post subject: Re: Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
Can't find in .... tahrpup.

Run: Image > Convert to Indexed > 256 Colours
mostly_lurking

PostPosted: Mon 01 Dec 2014, 11:51    Post subject:  

I found that when converting an image to indexed colors and cutting down the palette size to no more than 16 colors, mtPaint gives me the option to save the image in lss format. Maybe your version does too so you won't need an additional conversion tool?

(But in case you do, here is a package that contains ppmtolss16, ls16toppm and gif2lss.)
wjaguar

PostPosted: Tue 02 Dec 2014, 13:53    Post subject: Re: Output in GIF format missng from mtpaint 3.44.48  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
I used to be able to save a graphic in mtpaint to GIF format so that I could create an lss file using giftolss.

mtPaint can save 16-color indexed images to LSS entirely by itself.

Quote:
But mtpaint-3.44.48 doesn't have the option to save as GIF it seems anymore or maybe only in slacko builds.

Might happen if built on a system without giflib. But more likely, it was the image itself that wasn't indexed, but RGB. If that is the case, convert it to indexed. (And given that you want LSS - use 16 colors, and then save straight to LSS.)
B.K. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 03 Dec 2014, 03:00    Post subject:  

Thanks to rcrsn51, mostly_lurking and wjaguar for answering.

There is nothing wrong with mtpaint. Embarassed

On following rcrsn51's instructions with a jpeg file loaded, GIF but not LSS16 appeared in the drop-down box when saving.

mostly_lurking wrote:
Quote:
converting an image to indexed colors and cutting down the palette size to no more than 16 colors, mtPaint gives me the option to save the image in lss format.

and wjagua wrote:
Quote:
..But more likely, it was the image itself that wasn't indexed, but RGB.

If that is the case, convert it to indexed. (And given that you want LSS - use 16 colors, and then save straight to LSS.)

You are both correct; I had not reduced the palette size. That done, I got the LSS (I think both GIF and LSS16 were options for saving).

B.K. Johnson
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Graphics
Jump to: