#2 Post by ally »

don570

#3 Post by don570 »

It has a very old version of pschedule.

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi

Where is the ISO to find?

Are real Ubuntu Key maps etc included (so complete key maps for US INTL keyboard, including one of both:

- taking in consideration of CH, CH_FR and US_ACCENTOS as US_INTL keyboard
- or the a free entry field in the setting up menu for Keyboards!

(I can not understand why the keyboards of Switzerland, a country with fondamental working for the www movement, a perfect democratic republic union are not beeing in consideration in Puppy since 10 years!). And US_INTL keyboard is a "bridge" to be able to write other signs than only ASCI! As all Linux start with US keyboard, it is the most natural characters extension for all Linux user. A lot of languages can be written fully correct using that layout (Spanish, Pinyin Chinese, German, French, Portuguese, Dutch, Italian, Roman, Magyar etc. The Arch Pup did have correct keymaps: the keymaps of Arch!!! Why not all Puppy's?)

The download point in distrowatch seems to be wrong or not already include the ISO :roll:

With about 200 MB is Puppy now 10 time more big as the oldest release I yet have on my olds CD's :wink:

And I will remember that it is a really loooooooooooooooooooooog time that Puppy renounce to publish new onebone releases (for example to balance a bit the terrible increase in size :idea: !)

mai77

#5 Post by mai77 »

you probably save a lot of time if you use the 8 GB image. Just unpack it to SD or thumbdrive from within mintLinux-live and you're good to go.

raffy

not ISO

#6 Post by raffy »

oui wrote:The download point in distrowatch seems to be wrong or not already include the ISO :roll:
This is a very different build, requiring Linux filesystem on flash media. But I added a short howto at puppylinux.org:
http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm#quirky
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

oui

#7 Post by oui »

Hi Raffy

Thank you very much!

As I am refusing with all my power the IMPERATIVE use of USB things (why did I buy a PC with one TByte internal hard disk? To brush my butt? Since the begin of this politic Puppy did loose more than one ranking places...).

The maximal disturb through such USB:

- USB pens are not prepared for easy and clear tidy up
- USB cards are all black! you can write nothing on a USB cards! You can buy a pen to shack to possibly write in white, but nothing to do, it was for nothing

especially considering micro cards... but

micro cards are today usual cards :wink:

you are ALL INCLUDING B.K. KILLING PUPPY with those manipulations: owner of good hardware will use her good hardware and not a pin pinned as a mosquito on her good hardware! I am sorry, if Puppy renounce to publish new ISO's ...

... it is already

dead!

my condolences for the old brav but fat and obese becoming and dying Puppy...

kind regards

starhawk

#8 Post by starhawk »

oui, at least where I live (USA) you can purchase white electrical tape. It is a vinyl tape that will stick well to plastic. You could also use mailing address labels, but you will need a better adhesive.

This is of course for USB drives. For microSD cards and the like, I cannot help unless you have good eyes... my own eyesight is bad (I wear glasses and still have trouble...) so we are in agreement there.

The reason for huge sizes of computer hard drives is twofold, I think. Greed and laziness. Greed on the part of the company (which wants to make lots of money selling to people) and greed on the part of their customers (who want far more space than is really often necessary). I have a friend with a tech shop; he says that most peoples' data fits within 40gbytes. Imagine that. The laziness, is on the part of the programmers (not so much Puppy as Windows and certain, much larger, Linuxes that shall remain unnamed by me) who do not want to create "code" properly. The result is sloppy nasty programming, because the real effort is not there.

The Atari 2600 was essentially a computer in a game console, it had a 6502 CPU (well, not exactly, it was a 6502 with some things added in) and 128 bytes of RAM! And yet, it was able to produce, nearly on its own, a revolution in console gaming -- it started that whole genre. Even now, the Xbox and Nintendo Wii and such, they owe the Atari 2600 a thank-you for their existence. It was their distant ancestor. A tremendous quantity of amazing and wonderful games existed for the Atari 2600, and they all ran in that tiny RAM space. Oh -- and each game had to fit in 4kbytes of space... half of that for the very early ones. How was it done? Good programming practices that too many have either forgotten or never learned.

My mother's first IBM-compatible PC had an 85mbyte hard drive! She never thought she'd fill that up. (She was right, actually; when she gave the computer to me, two years later, it was not full yet.) Back then, Windows fit on eight 1.44mb floppies -- ah, but you really only needed the first six, unless you were installing printers and networking both... think about that...

Of course that was Windows 3.11... too far in the past to be useful. Puppy has its own Windows 3.11 sized version, although it's not nearly as practical as the rest IMO. Look at pUPnGO.

oui

#9 Post by oui »

Hi starhawk

I thank you for your warm message and reassurance but I am certain that a Puppy less ISO is a lost and vain cause and more if his size equal or more as a certain android :wink:

I am writing out Unicorn but the real one, the beta from Ubuntu, installed as netinstall without all:

- no cd
- no card
- no usb

only an old Puppy linux to help to install the minimal Ubuntu ISO on the harddisk, open it, start it frugal, as it was 6 month ago, upgrade to Unicorn :lol: (no problem! apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, dist-upgrade and wait until finish!)...

we need old puppies to do that, but it seems not to be possible to do the same with Puppy itself! poor Puppy now!

8-bit

#10 Post by 8-bit »

B.K. is the one that decided to use the new installation method steering away from ISOs.
It is a full install with no pupsave too.
And it hurts for those that want to try a Puppy version before they install it anywhere.
To be able to check out the new versions, one has to install them to a drive or partition.
I just got through installing Quirky Unicorn to an external USB hard drive from Precise 5.7.1 using Barry's install script.
And it was simple to use the script.
But to repeat, doing away with the ISO release makes it impossible to check out a new Puppy version that only offers a full install to a drive or partition.
At one time, Barry hinted that he might make an ISO of the version.
But it never came to be.

Rodney Byne

"First Time" notice is STILL there.

#11 Post by Rodney Byne »

Hi Barry & all the guys,
This old chestnut problem is still around even in 6.2.1:

The orange "First Time" notice appears every time
Seamonkey is launched and stays on screen for
a long while.

Do we still have to create the frowned-upon symlink
to get rid of the unwanted box, or is a lasting fix
ever going to be created?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ted Dog

#12 Post by Ted Dog »

long live Multisession and the optical drive... :D viva los ISO !!!!

Sylvander

#13 Post by Sylvander »

Used dd to write the downloaded->extracted image to an unmounted 8GB Flash Drive with no pre-made partitions.
Took longer than I expected to complete.
Booted OK, and running OK.
It's fast on my 2012 desktop PC.
But...
1. How do I configure it so I can manually choose "to save or not to save" session changes...
During the session, and at shutdown/reboot.
Does PupSaveConfig work on this as an alternative?

2. I'm worried that with no optical disk and no pupsave, the OS files and snapshot backup could be infected/corrupted, with no way to repair if the OS is no longer functional.
I'm inclined to agree with Ted Dog.

James C

#14 Post by James C »

It appears that some of you aren't in Barry K's target group.

To quote Barry K...
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00024
"Quirky6" is the "6.x" version series, with a raft of new ideas that I want to try out. It has turned out well, I like it and use Quirky as my everyday Linux distribution.

In a nutshell, Quirky6 is intended to be as small as possible (hence compiled from source in T2), very fast, very simple, and optimised to run on Flash memory media. There are other extended ideas that are in the pipeline.

.....with a raft of new ideas that I want to try out.
and
There are other extended ideas that are in the pipeline.
It's an experimental version folks...... it just happens to work well if used as designed.

oui

#15 Post by oui »

8-bit wrote:B.K. is the one that decided to use the new installation method steering away from ISOs.
It is a full install with no pupsave too.
And it hurts for those that want to try a Puppy version before they install it anywhere.
To be able to check out the new versions, one has to install them to a drive or partition.
I just got through installing Quirky Unicorn to an external USB hard drive from Precise 5.7.1 using Barry's install script.
And it was simple to use the script.
But to repeat, doing away with the ISO release makes it impossible to check out a new Puppy version that only offers a full install to a drive or partition.
At one time, Barry hinted that he might make an ISO of the version.
But it never came to be.
probably the best product from BK was Quirky 5.49 (all in Kernel) but the echo of puppyist was about ZERO.

no way documented
- to rebuild / remaster it
- to actualize the software

etc.

I am afraid the new way is

a/ not so good

b/ will finish as the precedent...

5.49 were a MAGISTRAL development! combined with the modular concept of RSH (having an about actual MAGISTRAL bibliothek of LPn-*.SFS, in that case LP2, more than 4 GB modules to download!) and as no-bone but only-actual-kernel-Puppy prepared for graphic operations and accepting more modules (window managers and all the other one), it would be a great development.

in Puppy is the amount of micri and old software (Seamonkey 2.4 in the new Tahr 6 I am using today to write this message! Seamonkey counts now 2.30! Please weak up developpers! We don' t need such obsolete software any more in new Puppy's! Please produce better one-bone as full Puppys with such desastral old software!) terrible...

I am sorry, it is NOT the right way...

second problem:

BK did produce in the past more documentation as other one developer probably! Puppy was the system how to learn an OS and why it do so...

(BK is not the only only one person having done that: The creator of Slitaz did do the same! The SliTaz handbook is and stay a Linux reference. But he did only write about the thing. BK did give rich background informations... If you want learn Linux, read the old and new books of SliTaz. If you want to understand undergrounds and hints from Linux, read the numerous texts of BK!)

but the most of the new version have a very very little literature!

is that what the future of Puppy has to be: nobody can really follow what happens :roll: ?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

James C wrote:It appears that some of you aren't in Barry K's target group.

To quote Barry K...
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00024
"Quirky6" is the "6.x" version series, with a raft of new ideas that I want to try out. It has turned out well, I like it and use Quirky as my everyday Linux distribution.

In a nutshell, Quirky6 is intended to be as small as possible (hence compiled from source in T2), very fast, very simple, and optimised to run on Flash memory media. There are other extended ideas that are in the pipeline.

.....with a raft of new ideas that I want to try out.
and
There are other extended ideas that are in the pipeline.
It's an experimental version folks...... it just happens to work well if used as designed.
The "compiled in T2" thing was for some earlier Quirkies.

The most recent, Quirky Tahr and Quirky Unicorn, are built with Ubuntu packages.

Yes, we have guys with a Puppy background coming along and giving Quirky a go. Fine, but you have to realise this is not Puppy, there is no "pupsave", it is a full Linux installation only.

Running a full Linux installation, I have explored various ways of recovery and rolling-back, such as the snapshot mechanism.
Also, in theory, the Package Manager is much more sophisticated than in Puppy, and can roll back by uninstalling packages.

In theory, even a Service Pack PET can be uninstalled, so Quirky can roll back to an earlier version.

I say "in theory" because much of this has not been properly tested.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

raffy

one big file

#17 Post by raffy »

Thanks, oui, for mentioning Quirky 5.4.x. I have always loved the "one big file" approach (remember the net-booting builds).

The current Quirky requires an installation before use (not a brief install, especially in flash drives), so it is somehow handicapped in the "let-me-try-it-quickly" route.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: one big file

#18 Post by BarryK »

raffy wrote:Thanks, oui, for mentioning Quirky 5.4.x. I have always loved the "one big file" approach (remember the net-booting builds).

The current Quirky requires an installation before use (not a brief install, especially in flash drives), so it is somehow handicapped in the "let-me-try-it-quickly" route.
I do actually have a script in the Quirky build system that creates the "one big file", with all of Quirky inside vmlinuz, AND creates a live-CD iso file.

The live-cd has no save-session capability though.

It could be used to run Quirky, then run one of the install scripts to install Quirky to a partition or drive.

I might create that live-CD soon.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

smokey01

#19 Post by smokey01 »

A live CD would be nice. This would allow a quick look in vbox.

neerajkolte

#20 Post by neerajkolte »

Hi smokey01,
If you want to test this virtually.
I suggest using thisguide made by gcmartin about KVM-Qemu or using any other Vvirtualization Software.
1) make an virtual drive image of required size.
2) boot any guest iso.
3) mount the virtual drive as hard drive.
4) do installation of QU6 to that drive in your guest then shutdown your guest.
5) now boot from that drive image to test QU6 as a guest in your VM.

I have used this method to test bluepup previously which doesn't come as iso too.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.