Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 12:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Pupserv
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
Evil20071

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 18:59    Post subject:  Pupserv
Subject description: Starting to take Puppy to the Server front.

Goal:
To create a fully functional production server version of Puppy.

Abbreviation key:
  1. s - Stripped
  2. m - multiple versions
  3. f - fat (nothing removed)

Pupserv needs:
  1. X64 *Buntu/RHEL/Debian compatible Puppy base (s)
  2. PHP (mf)
  3. Apache (f)
  4. MySQL (mf)
  5. FTP server
  6. SMTP Server

I want to use a *buntu, RHEL or Debian compatible base as both of these linux distros have been used as Web/Datacenter server OS's in the mainstream, and have many packages already available for many of the server parts that Pupserv will need. Additional services may come in handy, lik3 a way to process ASP pages, though I know of absolutely none such ASP server for *nix systems. Suggestions are welcome. I do work a full-time job and now have a 2 month old baby, so this is a project that will take quite some time. I may be able to get some friends from outside the Puppy community to lend me a few extra hands.

Last edited by Evil20071 on Thu 27 Nov 2014, 19:52; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
ICQ Number 
Evil20071

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 19:16    Post subject:  

Some have voiced concerns about running Puppy as a server as root. As Puppy doesn't really have multiuser support, this is something else we may look into after getting the alpha up and running. I know there has been talk about multiuser support and Puppy for a long long time, and the fact that it was stripped from the core intentionally should prove to be interesting. Some system for integrating the multiuser system from *buntu into Pupserv may be in order, though I'm not sire if that's possible, or even feasible at this point. Rather, I think setting up some form of remote management system that has multiuser support built in along with access rights would be more doable. Leave the root access to the physical server level only. I'm thinking a web applet written in Java/PHP may be in order. Ideas?
ICQ Number 
Evil20071

PostPosted: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 20:26    Post subject:  

Reserved for status update
ICQ Number 
Evil20071

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec 2014, 02:54    Post subject:  

Ok. So, I have decided on my base being Debian compatible. Debian, after checking out their repositories, has, IMHO, the best sets of Server packages to make this an easier project. I will begin working on this build shortly.
ICQ Number 
Atle

PostPosted: Sat 06 Dec 2014, 20:10    Post subject:  

Interesting... I look forward to see what comes out of this:-)
Evil20071

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec 2014, 02:12    Post subject:  

As do I. It's my first such attempt, so I'm kinda nervous. Hence me taking my time with it. I'm going to have to figure out which puplet to start off with. I currwntly run Slacko, myself. I'm going to be making good use of VirtualBox for this one, and I'm going to see just what Woof can really do, as well.
ICQ Number 
Q5sys

PostPosted: Tue 09 Dec 2014, 13:19    Post subject:  

You dont have to run your server as root. When I made Cloudpup ( http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90788 ), I set it up so that nginx and sqlite would all run as spot.

It's not as secure as a true legit user account, but its better than full root.

NeroVance

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 09:52    Post subject:  

Second Q5sys, spot server is what's supposed to be done. Multiuser could be good if you are crazy enough to try a terminal server, but I digress.
Evil20071

PostPosted: Wed 10 Dec 2014, 18:42    Post subject:  

I may well try to figure out how to set it up with full multiuser support...
ICQ Number 
efiabruni

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 10:57    Post subject:  

I have been using my puppy (saluki) as a webserver on my laptop since 2012. Hiawatha (the built in webserver) runs as "webuser" I think and I also installed XMPP and have it running as "nobody".

You can see it in action at: https://tine.pagekite.me

I think whether the underlying system runs as root or not should not matter as long as there is a root password.

Wouldn't it be easier to make a derivative of an existing puppy distro? DebianDog or Tahrpup comes to mind.

I'm interested in helping with the few skills I have (testing, packaging) because I will probably end up using it Smile
Evil20071

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 13:24    Post subject:  

I do believe you have a good idea there. Debiandog woild be a perfect fit as its already a .deb cokpatible system.
ICQ Number 
Evil20071

PostPosted: Today, at 01:36    Post subject:  

Started working on building tonight. Having a few issues with Woof, however. Once I figure that out, I'll get my alpha rollout going.

Currently going to make a fresh Woof2 build of a Debian compatible puppy with the bare minimum complete with a full web server, Filezilla FTP Server and I'm still looking at SMTP servers to try and include in it as well.

ICQ Number 
Page 1 of 1 [12 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: