How to stop whining about wine

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
mikeslr

How to stop whining about wine

#1 Post by mikeslr »

The following was started in response to a question asked by Johnmeehand, who at that time was new to Linux in general, and Puppy Linux in particular. So it is addressed to him. But as I've tried to present a complete overview. It will hopefully help future neophytes trying to obtain a handle on how to use XP programs in Puppy Linux.

Hi johnmeehan,

As Fossil has suggested, before you try to run Windows Programs under Wine, consider whether you have to. Several years ago it was different. But by today you can find some Linux Application which can accomplish everything you could using a program in Windows, often better; with the exception of specialized business programs which probably won't run under wine anyway. In looking for a Linux Application as a substitute for a Windows Program, be more concerned with the category of activity --i.e., Video Editor, Web-Browser-- than a specific name.
And as nic007 suggested, if you must run a windows program, look for the portable version because, as Fossil pointed out, many Windows programs often have dependencies. The builders of Portable Programs include them in the build.
But, if you still feel the need to run a Windows Program, this is what I would do.

This first two steps may seem counter-productive, but will save you a lot of time in the future.
They involve uninstalling the version of wine you found via Puppy Package Manager, PPM, and substituting it with Shinobar's Portable Wine. There are several reasons for doing this: it will make your life easier; it will provide two locations from which many of your XP programs can easily be accessed; and it will not install wine into your SaveFile. Your SaveFile has limited space which can quickly be filled up, especially by programs running under wine and all the data files they customarily would store on Windows C: Drive, an entire Drive or Large Partition. If you're new to Puppy, you may not yet know that many applications, especially sizable ones, are available as Squash Files, known as SFSes. These are somewhat like Portable XP programs. They do not get installed to your SaveFile, can be placed anywhere on your hard-drive, but are best used by placing them on your Home Partition. Your Home Partition is the one whose icon on your desktop always shows an X in its top-right corner. Clicking that icon will display its contents. It can also be reached by opening Rox, and using the up-arrow and clicking folders to follow this path: /root > / > mnt > home. Other file-managers, such as Thunar and pcmanfm, when opened will display a left-pane. You home partition will be named either Home or dev_save.
Keeping your SaveFile slim and healthy is important when using Puppy Linux. For a good discussion of techniques, read Shinorbar's thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 769#468769
Another reason for preferring Portable Wine to an installed version is that once you set it up and install programs into it, you won't have to do that again if you change Puppy Versions or add another Puppy Version. The Wine-portable version I recommend can be used with any Pup published in the last 4 years. It also comes with a working version of WineTricks.
Winetricks is an easy way to install many common Windows programs –although they may not be the latest version, and not as good as recent Linux comparables-- and the dependencies some XP programs have. To use winetricks you'll have to open a Terminal/Console and type a command. The following page shows you how. http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks. Scroll down about half-way thru the page. However, using portable wine, you'll have to preface the command you will use with the argument wine.sh. So, having opened a terminal, where the Wine organization says to obtain corefonts and vcrun6 they would have you type:

sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6,

using Portable Wine you would type

wine.sh winetricks corefonts vcrun6.

Before proceeding further, may I make four other suggestions for anyone just getting started with Puppy Linux.
(a) Read the sticky posts which appear at the top of the Beginner's Help Subforum. Or at least scan them so you'll know what's there. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=2
(b) At least scan the categories of Software Applications discussed in the Additional Software Subforum. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=63 so you'll know what applications are available that a Creator of a Pup may not have included in his or her creation.
(c) Before posting a question, see if it's already been answered by typing some keywords into the Wellminded Search Box: http://wellminded.net63.net/
and
(d) until working with Puppy has become second nature, create a folder on your home partition into which you can place documents that might be helpful in the future. For example, if you think this post may be useful later on –the next time you have a question about wine-- do the following:
Click your Home Partition's desktop icon. Then Click an empty space. Select>New Directory, and give it a name such as my-notes. Now open your wordprocessor –probably at this point Abiword-- or for a short note your Text Editor, probably Geany. Switch back to your browser and highlight the text you want to copy. Just click and drag your mouse-cursor until that section is highlighted. Then right-click and select “copy
Attachments
WinePortable.png
Wine-portable's Right-click Menu
(78.74 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 06 Mar 2016, 17:27, edited 3 times in total.

ardvark

#2 Post by ardvark »

Hi...

I don't use wine but thank you for taking the time to write all that out for folks who do! :)

Regards...
Our Lord and Savior [url=http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/]Jesus Christ[/url] loves and cares about you most of all!

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up [url=http://www.spiritlessons.com/Documents/BillWiese_23MinutesInHell_Text.htm]here![/url]

neerajkolte

#3 Post by neerajkolte »

Just bookmarking this.
Nice one mikesLr.
Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

1. Began following your instructions...
Went well at first...
Began to fail to comprehend at item 5, but got there [I used Xfe rather than ROX to "unpack" the tar.gz file to folder "wine-portable-1.6.2"].

2. Used ROX to right-click on "the folder" [took me some time to realise that "the folder" was "wine-portable-1.6.2"]

3. Moved folder="wine-portable-1.6.2" to my special banking Flash Drive that holds my Windows portable "Pasword Vault" exe file [that needs WINE to run it under Puppy].
I use a multi-session DVD+RW of tahr-6.0-CE_PAE for my online banking.
I'd much rather run a portable version of WINE that's held on my banking Flash Drive; seems to me that would be more secure.
It's only used for banking, and only connected for the short time taken to complete transactions at the banking website.

4. Regarding the running of Windows portable programs under WINE:
I saw that you said...
"You can, of course, start it opening Rox to its executable, and clicking it."
I thought "surely that's impossible", but gave it a try anyway.
I was ASTONISHED when it worked! :o WONDERFUL! :D
How is that possible?
Was that portable WINE running in RAM?
How can ROX run a Windows executable?

mikeslr

Wine-portable without Rox

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sylvander,

Rox, especially when lots of right-click options have been added, just makes life easier. But your post reminded me that I should have included a link to how I set up wine-portable under Carolina which uses Thunar. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 047#793047. For completeness, I'll add the instructions battleshooter gave me subsequently about creating symlinks when using Thunar. IIRC, :? you hold down the Ctl key while dragging and dropping.

Neither Rox, nor Thunar, nor pcmanfm actually knows anything about wine by itself. But they do know BASH. If you look in /usr/bin you'll find the Bash script named "wine.sh".

When you install wine, rather than employ the portable, you'll find in that location an actual binary named wine. That's the reason when using the portable Bash scripts require the command "wine.sh" rather than "wine".

Frankly, I don't really know how the geniuses shinobar, version2013 and the japanese team worked their magic. I suspect that the wine.sh script calls the wine binary tucked away in the SFS enclosed in the portable's folder. And I suspect that part of either installation includes appropriate mine-type definitions. I don't recall ever being able to obtain full control over handling wine when emelfm2 was the file-manager. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 017#574017

Which Windows portable "Pasword Vault" exe are you using?

Many of my earlier posts have encouraged the use of "Program Folders" --applications decompressed into Folders on /mnt/home rather than SFSes. But I made the mistake :wink: of looking into the Security subforum's threads recently. Hardly a day goes by without some major malware exploit being reported. I don't expect to be targeted, and most of the data on my computers has the sensitivity level of a granite, but the technique of criminal organizations seems to be to cast out a big net, catch everything and let computers hunt for gold nuggets.
The files of a Program Folder are entirely exposed. SFSes are compressed files, so surreptitious manipulating the files they contain can't be done easily. But probably everyone has some personal data on his or her computer which they would prefer to remain "personal."

The recent development of SaveFolders has made Puppy easier to expand: to add applications and include more data files. On the other hand, SaveFolders don't even have the compression protection of SaveFiles. That's of little concern for most things. But again, especially for banking and other online financial matters, it makes the use of Puppy riskier. So I'm exploring the idea of a Two-Puppy Setup. One for most things, the other for sensitive matters. Greengeek's development of Banksy falls into the later category. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 562#813562. For expandability of banksy's closed system, RSH's RoxApp link to SFSes may be serviceable. His technique avoids the general 6-SFS limit. In fact, it enables loading and unloading any number of SFSes on the fly. While we have been using Application SFSes, RSH's technique suggest that there is little reason not to store data as SFSes*. [Perhaps, ala windows adding a “Documents

Sylvander

#6 Post by Sylvander »

1. "Which Windows portable "Pasword Vault" exe are you using?"
Acerose Password Vault v1.02 first got/used in 2008 May 11th.
Been happily using it since.

2. "If you look in /usr/bin you'll find the Bash script named "wine.sh". "
There is no "wine.sh" to be found anywhere on my Slacko-5.7.0-PAE filesystem [from where I'm typing this].
Nor on sdb1 [partition on Flash Drive], where folder "wine-portable-1.6.2" currently resides.

3. "When you install wine, rather than employ the portable, you'll find in that location an actual binary named wine."
I have "wine-1.5.15-i686" installed here, and there is indeed /usr/bin/wine.
And this installation works just fine.

4. "...the other for sensitive matters. Greengeek's development of Banksy falls into the later category."
I'm seriously thinking of giving the latest Banksy [3?] a try.
I wondered if I'd be able to install WINE into Banksy...
So then I thought that a portable WINE on my Flash Drive might make that un-necessary.
Banksy could run the portable WINE, and that portable WINE could run my Password Vault.
...Or as an alternative...
Does it have "SFS-Load on-the-fly" [or can it be installed?], and might that be used to run an SFS of WINE.

5. Problems encountered:
a. I have 2 Flash drives, each with a different Puppy installed, as follows...
tahr-6.0-CE_PAE
And...
Quirky Unicorn
I tried running each, using ROX to run my Password Vault that's held on yet another flash drive, and on each Puppy, APV FAILED to run.
I'm confused...why doesn't running APV using ROX work in this environment?
So...
b. I installed wine-1.6.2 in one of the above, and discovered that somehow it had installed to [over?] the portable copy within folder "wine-portable-1.6.2".
This confuses me!
And I could then use the winefile command to run wine, and use the Z:\ drive to run the "Acerose Password Vault" [APV].
Any idea what's going on here?
At least it works, but is the portable WINE being used?
Am I whining?

mikeslr

banksy-SFS-Load on the fly & other questions

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sylvander,

banksy does have a working SFS-load on the fly. But as banksy is designed to be run from a CD/DVD or a frugal install without a SaveFile. You have to load the SFS after every reboot, and IIRC restart of X. Moreover, NTFS mounting is locked to 'Read Only' to minimize risk to existing Windows partition. I don't know whether that might prevent using SFSes from an NTFS formated USB-Key. I think they can still be loaded, but you may not be able to change them; such as add new a new file to an encrypted folder on a NTFS formatted USB-Key. [Work-around: a two Puppy system. Files written to Linux partitions under banksy, then transfered to USB-key running a different Pup]. Before running Personator, SFSes can also be copied to a folder in /opt/ -- I think its named /b3user. Such SFS will be part of your personalized banksy and won't requiring running the pmount command to be reached. But again, changes won't be preserved unless personator is run again creating a new personalized OS.
Moverover, pmount --necessary to access drives-- has been "hidden". It won't run from the menu. Currently, to run it you have to open a terminal and type pmounter. On the drawing board is a way to customize this command to the users choice. pmount/pmounter are just scripts. You can name them anything. For example, if it had the name "eatme", typing eatme in the terminal will run the mounting application. The idea is that the user will select a name before running personator. On the personalized version only he or she will know the command for mounting drives.

Regarding your wine questions, currently I don't have a glue regarding your question 5.

My initial impression are as follows: (1) wine.sh will only be present in /usr/bin if you've registered Wine-portable. With Thunar as your file-manager, such as in Carolina or X-Slacko, you'll only see wine-portable as another folder on the partition. Click it to open it. You'll see a script named register. Click it. Using Slacko-5.7.0-PAE, right-click the wine-portable folder an you'll see an option to register it. The register script installs into your Pup the files, including /usr/bin/wine.sh, which are necessary for wine-portable to run.

By the way, although I haven't tried it, you should be able to have both a wine-portable and an installed wine version at the same time. But after registering or installing the first, you'll have to change file names --in particular those of and referenced in the /usr/share/application/wine_anything.desktop files before registering/installing the second. Otherwise only the Menu will only display the second "installation."

So I suspect that's what's happened. Your installation of a wine pet over-wrote the menu listing for your previous registering of wine-portable. Then when you started winefile from the Menu, it was the "installed" --rather than portable-- version which was run. So your Acerrose program was installed to the "installed" rather than portable-wine.

Last thought: banksy personalized sfs can be edited just like any other Pup. I did that with banksypup2 to include Chromium39. So it should be possible to edit it to include an installable version of wine. But, IAPITA. And to preserve anything --such as new data files-- you'll still have to mount a partition on which to write because banksy doesn't have a SaveFile. It always boots in the pristine condition it had just after you ran personator.

Consequently, it should be easier to use portable-wine. I think all that would be necessary would be the following: format your USB-key, or at least part of it, as a Linux drive. Place your wine-portable on the Linux formatted partition.
After starting banksy, run pmounter --or whatever its been named-- and mount the partition holding wine-portable. Register it the first time, and every time you boot banksy. Since Puppies --including banksy-- run entirely in RAM, merging the files copied from drives with new files you install or create in RAM, after registering portable-wine it will be available as part of Puppy's "merged file" system until you shut-down/reboot/restart-x. Since portable-wine will be on a writable Linux partition, anything you write to it will be preserved. Although XP programs will run when installed to Linux partitions, Windows can't natively read files on Linux partitions. That adds a level of security. But, of course, there are windows programs which can be installed so that Linux partitions, folders and files don't appear to be just "blocks."

Remember, if using banksy links to external partitions are not preserved. While your portable-wine folder will still hold, for example, the Acerose Program, previously installed, banksy won't have any menu listing for it. To run such program, you can right-click portable-wine and select Open Drive C:, and then open folders until you see and can click Acerose's executable. Or if you took the necessary steps to create a Acerose-pet --before running personator, or while running a different Pup-- you can copy that pet into /opt/B3user (or something) before running personator. Your personalized version will have the pet there. After mounting the partition on which wine-portable is located, clicking the pet will install it creating listings on banksy's menu. At least until you shut banksy down/reboot. As an added measure of security, you don't have to name your pet Acerose. Names to help humans remember. Computer's don't care. Name your pet "jolly-jack-game", use Jolly-jack-game for the Name argument and use "Fun;Game" as the Category argument; and someone browsing into /opt/b3user-something, won't know what it does, and won't know why just clicking the pet --creating a menu entry for the Jolly-Jack-Game on the Games submenu-- clicking that menu item does nothing. You, of course, will know that to run Acerose you first have to mount the partition holding wine-portable.

All of which may seem like a great deal of unnecessary work. And it is unless you're using a Pup like banksy whose primary objective is to provide a secure OS for online banking and financial activity. Then that amount of work has to be measured against the time and cost of gasoline you save banking online rather than having to drive to your bank on each occasion.

mikesLr

Sylvander

#8 Post by Sylvander »

1. "You have to load the SFS after every reboot"
That's OK by me.

2. "and IIRC restart of X"
Why so?

3. "might prevent using SFSes from an NTFS formated USB-Key"
The partition on my USB Flash Drive is ext3, so no problem there.

4. "currently I don't have a glue regarding your question 5."
Ah well, looks like I won't be using the portable WINE with those, untill I figure out how to make it work.

5. "wine.sh will only be present in /usr/bin if you've registered Wine-portable"
Ah, so I need to register it.

6. "right-click the wine-portable folder an you'll see an option to register it."
I'll try that, and report back.

7. "you should be able to have both a wine-portable and an installed wine version at the same time."
I'll avoid that complication, methinks.

8. "Your installation of a wine pet over-wrote the menu listing for your previous registering of wine-portable."
Problem is...
I haven't yet registered a wine-portable in any running Puppy.

9. "Then when you started winefile from the Menu"
I've never yet done that.
Will report that once I have.

10. "you'll still have to mount a partition on which to write because banksy doesn't have a SaveFile. It always boots in the pristine condition it had just after you ran personator."
Is that somewhat of a PITA, or don't you mind that?

11. "run pmounter --or whatever its been named-- and mount the partition holding wine-portable. Register it the first time, and every time you boot banksy."
Hmmm, I wonder if I'll find that pestiferous?
Might put me off using it.
Time will tell.

12. "Since portable-wine will be on a writable Linux partition, anything you write to it will be preserved."
I like it! :D

13. "Although XP programs will run when installed to Linux partitions, Windows can't natively read files on Linux partitions. That adds a level of security..."
NICE! :D

14. "While your portable-wine folder will still hold, for example, the Acerose Program, previously installed"
I never install Acerose [APV]...I always run it as a portable program.

15. "you can right-click portable-wine and select Open Drive C:, and then open folders until you see and can click Acerose's executable."
Since I use APV as a portable, I don't use the C: drive, I use the Z: drive.
So how would that be done?

16. "After mounting the partition on which wine-portable is located, clicking the pet will install it creating listings on banksy's menu. At least until you shut banksy down/reboot."
Now that definitely seems like too much trouble...
And besides that, the whole point is that I want to use a portable WINE held on my banking Flash Drive ext3 partition.
I already have all kinds of Puppies with WINE installed.

17. "All of which may seem like a great deal of unnecessary work. And it is unless you're using a Pup like banksy whose primary objective is to provide a secure OS for online banking and financial activity."
I shall think about that, provided I can get my mind around it all.

mikeslr

Banksy & Wine

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Sylvander,

I think the most important thing to get out of our discussion of the use of Wine-portable is that it won't be easy. Possible, but not easy. And, regretfully our discussion might better have taken place on the Banksy thread.

2. Still not sure. My memory for insignificant details isn't very good. So it was just a "caution" should users wonder what happened.
6. If using Xfce-thunar, you have to click the portable folder to open it, then click the register file.
8.&9. -- I was just guessing. Hadn't realized that you hadn't registered wine-portable.
10. & 11. & 16. & 17. I agree with you. See below.
14. Acerose unpacks to a self-contained folder. That is, it doesn't write to Windows or Wine-fake registry. Once you've run setup and installed it to a folder, that folder can be moved anywhere and Acerose will still run. So you can move it to /mnt/home, to /root/.wine/...Drive_C or to /mnt/home/wine-portable.../Drive_C,,,Program Files. Which also means you don't have to run Acerose's setup.exe each time you install a new operating system. You can just copy your "old" Acerose file.
15. Just a small variation. With Acerose on Z: you can start it by browsing to it and clicking its executable. If you used Wine Control Panel, it might be on Menu>Wine. Or you can add it to your Menu using the script-desktop file technique described above. But then your script would have to reference Z: drive. Best browse to Acerose's executable, making a note of what folders you entered to get to it. Your script would have to show the full path to the executable.

#!/bin/sh
wine.sh FULL PATH TO EXECUTABLE /acerose.exe

As banksy is designed to be self-contained, so that it will always boot in a pristine condition, and the use of wine-portable to run Acerose creates many hurdles, it may be that wine itself may be a better choice. But that too, involves hurdles: more at the inception, few later on.
Banksy has a simple "remaster" tool --Personator-- for creating a SFS containing your settings and the bookmarks and addons you add to firefox. That tool also automatically burns a new CD/DVD so that you always boot into a pristine environment including your settings etc.
But the SFS in the banksy ISO you download, like any SFS, can be edited using Pizzagood's Edit_SFS. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 127#348127 To use Edit_SFS you start it, and "drop" an SFS onto its "in box". Edit_SFS creates a Work-directory containing all the files and folders of the SFS.
I had banksy on a USB-Key. To include Acerose in banksy, what I did was
(1) Install Acerose to a folder on /mnt/home.
(2) unpack a wine pet: Right-click>Rename wine.pet to wine.tgz. Click it and tell Archiver to unpack it.
(3) Drop the banksy SFS onto Edit_SFS's in box. I had banksy on a USB-Key.
(4) copy each folder and file from the unpacked wine into its proper place in Edit_SFS's banksy-work directory.
(5) Copy the Acerose folder into /root/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files'/
(6) Create a script in /root/my-applications/bin with the command:
wine /root/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files'/Acerose/Acerose.exe
(7) Create an Acerose desktop file in /usr/share/applications whose arguments include Exec=the script in (6) and ICON = a pixmap I placed in /usr/share/pixmaps.
(8 ) Press Finished.
Edit_SFS created a new banksy SFS which included wine and Acerose and had a Menu entry to start Acerose. I deleted the old banksy.SFS and substituted my new one. I could have then "setup" banksy with my preferences and run "personator" to create a new CD/ISO etc.
But decided that a Linux-only method of encryption would be easier. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 424#815424 :oops:

mikesLr

Sylvander

#10 Post by Sylvander »

Wow! 8)

I think I'll need to leave working on this until after Christmas.
Hoping I'll "fancy my chances" at that time.

When a thing seems easy to me, I just dive in...
When it seems difficult I'm very reluctant to touch it, so I wait to see if the mood takes me.

I'll keep the link to your post above, in my Thunderbird email identity to remind me to look at this.

nic007

#11 Post by nic007 »

Just a tip. To get pass the limit of sfs's that can be loaded at startup, more than one existing sfs file can be combined into another one. Eg, I've combined java, wine and opera into one sfs file called java_wine_opera.sfs. An easy way to combine sfs's, is to use the utility pets2sfsgui.

ttuuxxx

#12 Post by ttuuxxx »

When I first started using linux I needed wine, After a year or so, I noticed I no longer needed it, I haven't used it in the past 6yr+, Really the only need for it would be for some games I guess. Everything else you can do with other apps in linux mostly.
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

I can't do without wine. Some windows programs are just better. For example 2nd speech center (which is an excellent text to speech program), XMPlay (best music player I have ever used as it is about the only one that can use the old winamp DSP plug-ins), Atlantis Word Processor, Spread32, SumatraPDF etc. I do however stick to older versions of wine which is good enough to run 80% of my windows programs.

slavvo67

#14 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm with ttuxxx on this one. I've tried using Wine but didn't care for the size of the program and realized that I don't really need to crossover from Windows except with documents and spreadsheets, where LibreOffice fits the bill nicely.

ttuuxxx

#15 Post by ttuuxxx »

slavvo67 wrote:I'm with ttuxxx on this one. I've tried using Wine but didn't care for the size of the program and realized that I don't really need to crossover from Windows except with documents and spreadsheets, where LibreOffice fits the bill nicely.
I was like that with Photoshop and at the time I wasn't used to gimp so It put me off, So I went to wine, Then I just kept trying Gimp along with Photoshop and before I knew it, I was using Gimp 24/7,
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

nic007

#16 Post by nic007 »

But then again, Windows XP Pro is my primary operating system. Works the best for me on my old computer with limited resources.

mikeslr

Re: How to stop whining about wine

#17 Post by mikeslr »

I think I said this at the very beginning of this thread:
mikeslr wrote: As Fossil has suggested, before you try to run Windows Programs under Wine, consider whether you have to. Several years ago it was different. But by today you can find some Linux Application which can accomplish everything you could using a program in Windows, often better; with the exception of specialized business programs which probably won't run under wine anyway. In looking for a Linux Application as a substitute for a Windows Program, be more concerned with the category of activity --i.e., Video Editor, Web-Browser-- than a specific name.
There's only one xp program I actually have to run. It's InfoCentral, an object-oriented relational database manager. It was part of WordPerfect Suite 7, masquerading as a PIM. There is no other program like it in Linux or in Windows. For about 20 years I used it to take notes and associate each note with other notes creating an information tree. Calling up any note recalled the links to others I intentionally linked, and revealed associations I might have forgotten or overlooked. Although the data can be converted for use in other programs, the links can not. Fortunately, InfoCentral runs under wine. It can't be run under Window7 or above.

In common with ttuuxxx's experience, I may use an XP program with which I am familiar until I become familiar with its Linux analog. For example, 7zip-portable has recently been replaced by peazip.

mikesLr

slavvo67

#18 Post by slavvo67 »

MikeSLR:

No complaints, here. It's not for me but Wine has proven to be necessary for many people who like their Windows programs.

Hello Union! I used to live off of 22 out there near the Wal-Mart.

Best,

Slavvo67

mikeslr

digression

#19 Post by mikeslr »

Hi slavvo67,

That's the standing joke:

First Person: I live in New Jersey.
Second Person: Off what exit?

mikesLr

slavvo67

#20 Post by slavvo67 »

I know it, well. Originally from 15w or 145 (pkwy), depending which you prefer. LOL

South FL now but my daughter's looking at Ivy League schools, so possibly Jersey bound again in a year or so....

Best,

Slavvo67