What flash drive speeds do you get?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

small sized files are the bane of $$$ tests.
well since the banter goes on I notice this gets cited often.

Thing is do I or any one else care if it takes ages to write tens of thousands of tiny files...who actually does this?

There may be a couple of dozen now and then but strangely enough its the big stuff that bothers me.... I want to pop a few vids onto a stick to take with me or a pile of music or a copy of useful software... we are 99% of the time dealing wit several megs or more and its the time to copy these that makes the difference in my real world since its the difference between waiting seconds of many minutes (remember usb 1.1) if you happen to have purchased a crap flash stick.

In puppy its similar...time to mak a save file/sfs and how long to shutdown from a usb boot after adding a bundle of pets.

Raw data writing seems the most useful statistic we could test for and generate I feel and the least affected by system variations.

Just my 5 cents there

mike

gcmartin

#32 Post by gcmartin »

@Jasper, I'm not quite sure you understand what we are trying to achieve here. Most of the rest of us are interested in device speeds and some reasonable way of measuring and presenting this. The appeal here is about a consensus to moving with some front-ended positioning that would be agreed as a valid approach. @MikeB is echoing what we are all talking about. Hope that helps

If you would like, please open a thread and see if others will follow your lead.

Or, offer an idea of what you think WE should be talking about that would meet YOUR objective to help.

Here to help

Jasper

#33 Post by Jasper »

gcmartin

You repeatedly write “Here to help

gcmartin

#34 Post by gcmartin »

@Japer.! Have you taken a look at the thread's title. Again. Let me see if I can help you a litltle, This thread is NOT about me. So, look at the title, harder this time. Then read my post over again. The light in the tower will come on ... I think. :wink:

Hope this helps.

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper »

gcmartin,

This post was yours (and yours alone):

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 030#811030

As is easily seen it was addressed to ALL and it began "I would like to offer ..."

To produce a useful table of results - exactly which Forum member did you expect to offer to find the resources (thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours)?

Exactly how have you helped one iota to achieve what YOU superficially offered?

gcmartin

#36 Post by gcmartin »

Please @Jasper. This thread is about the author's request. Not yours nor mine.

Maybe you fail in understanding. Again, in case you didn't notice, it is not about me. Several occasions this has been repeated. Please assist, if you choose.

Here to help

Jasper

#37 Post by Jasper »

To whom it may concern,

In March this year I received an astonishingly illuminating PM.

I remember gcmartin has strong views on the publication of PMs.

So, I shall omit the sender's name from my upcoming screenshot.

Who will object to that?

mikeb

#38 Post by mikeb »

And jasper you sent one telling me to remove a posts of 2 of mine.... can we stop this muck slinging as this sort of thing totally trashes topics.

A script using standard unix tools perhaps with a series of tests.... small file...large file...many small files..... incorporating tests already mentioned here.

I was comparing dd and cp just now but was getting 1.7MB/s to the 8GB stick with either...reasons unknown... file size 300MB. Copied same to ramdisk and it took 8 seconds so no problem with the source and flash sticks don't have fragmentation problems (or do they?)

mike

Jasper

#39 Post by Jasper »

Hi mikeb,

I did once send you a PM with a very strong request that you withdraw what you had erroneously and maliciously written because it disrespected a valued member of this Forum.

I well remember that you responded with a PM that threatened to report me to a moderator solely on the basis you had interpreted my strong request as an order.

I no longer have your PM, but if you still have mine you are most welcome to publish it.

I let the matter drop for the reason that you frequently help on this Forum.

----------

Now to the subject of this thread and its three opening questions (as opposed to the single request gcmartin refers to). The three Rs (Readin’ ‘Riting and ‘Rithmatic) are under scrutiny - so let’s agree (or not) that gcmartin’s post that I quoted was on topic and in order so that readers may (or may not) agree that my questions to gcmartin about HIS offer are relevant and in order.

mikeb

#40 Post by mikeb »

I believe unwelcome and threatening PM's are against the policy of this forum and that a moderator would agree with this.

My public comments were just that... freely voicing my opinion and if I think someone is out of order then I say so...just like I am saying now. You appear to be badgering gcmartin for you own personal reasons and that's unacceptable if so. Once again YOU seem to be deciding what should and should not be posted here.

Being in the public part of the forum anyone is free to comment on any post though descending into personal attacks I believe is not forum policy either.

mike

Jasper

#41 Post by Jasper »

From today's Letters to the Editor

Fair warning

SIR - Nailed to a tree where a local garden
runs close to a footpath is a vintage sign
(Letters, November 29) which reads:
NO TRESPASSING
Violators will be shot.
Survivors will be shot again.
Jonathan Goodall
Bath, Somerset

-------------

mikeb,

I absolutely agree with your sentiments on threatening PMs; however, the only threatening PM I ever recollect sending or receiving was yours.

Unwelcome PMs are entirely another matter, as you may soon see; then attack or defend as you see fit.

mikeb

#42 Post by mikeb »

I absolutely agree with your sentiments on threatening PMs; however, the only threatening PM I ever recollect sending or receiving was yours.
well of course you would.....

I did threaten to take the matter to a moderator if that's what you meant.....
then you stopped... matter solved as far as I was concerned.

Anyway back to the current theme here... it just reminded me of times gone past. Whether I agree with gcmartin or not (and believe me I don't at times) I would never question his right to post whatever he feels is relevant , and as to if the material is relevant and worthy of posting is NOT yours to decide or attempt to bully out of the picture which seems to be your tactic here.

mike

stemsee

#43 Post by stemsee »

Overall a positive contributor of dialogue and ideas, but too insistent, at times, on imposing your own perspective while disregarding other perspectives of no less importance.

While the other contestant also full of ideas and mechanisms to persuade others to deliver, and lacking produce, and usually doesn't provide the promised assistance, yet avoids rudeness, much to their credit.

It could be a draw! Let the judges decide!

mikeb

#44 Post by mikeb »

Once I've purchased/have any particular stick (and makers rarely publish speed data) it's only my cans/usage that matter to me.
Most on this forum are either getting help or giving it.
I sense from the above neither is intended so question the presence on the thread at all apart from picking up on any mistakes us humans might make...

And yes manners are free and make quite a difference....

mike

Jasper

#45 Post by Jasper »

mikeb - If you would like me to highlight your many failures in comprehension; just ask.

gcmartin If you’d like me to PM you or Flash with an advance screen shot; just ask soon.

Else, if you want a truce, you could try a grovelling apology and an offer to lick my boots.

LazY Puppy

#46 Post by LazY Puppy »

What bash (ing)

write speeds

can we get

by this thread?
RSH

"you only wanted to work your Puppies in German", "you are a separatist in that you want Germany to secede from Europe" (musher0) :lol:

No, but I gave my old drum kit away for free to a music store collecting instruments for refugees! :wink:

gcmartin

#47 Post by gcmartin »

Well,it looks like @jasper's intent is to derail the thread. Unhappy with any success at that, he thinks the thread has become some sort of a contest. Truce??? What are we dealing with in his responses?

Maybe he is trying to offer something useful. What could it be?

Edit: Better idea may be to just ignore. Let hope the meds kick in soon.

gcmartin

#48 Post by gcmartin »

Back on thread's track.

I was at a Superstore over the weekend which had a wall of usb sticks from many manufacturers. Excepting Sony, HP, Toshiba, and couple others, there were manufacturers unheard of. And on this wall, as one would expect, there were many sizes from 4GB to 128GB. So, I started reading the labeling of those manufacturers who posted speeds. And, I also entered Superstore website and other sources to get some ideas of the info they posted on performance speeds. In my case at this Superstore, the hooks were 30 across and 9 down with at least 7 USB/sdcard units hanging from each to give an idea on the voulume of units. I find that the specs varied wildly with NO consistent variable, even in the same brand and model. In fact, some units had a 15fold difference between read/write speeds, while others were closer. No sticks show performances where read/write speeds came closer than 30MB/sec to their read speeds. Again, these manufacturer specs vary wildly and I found that "turbo" may not mean what one would think.

Surprisingly, too, I found that there are USB3 sticks that are slower than their USB2 counterparts according to package labeling.

In review, if seems that with all the sizes, models, across manufacturers, there will be daunting task ahead to collect and report USB performances in light of the new models coming and the connector changes in store for us.

I wondered while there if there is a site, similar to Tom's Hardware, which is actually measuring the performance of these units using some standard system and procedure.

So, today, I am at the same crossroad that I was at a decade ago when selecting HDDs with ATA/SCSI/SATA interfaces where price-performance showed similar findings.

Jasper

#49 Post by Jasper »

gcmartin,

I asked you:

To produce a useful table of results - exactly which Forum member did you expect to offer to find the resources (thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours)?

Now I ask:

Did you not agree with stemsee that all tests should be conducted on the same machine?

---------------
There are at least 3 observations I could make on your post immediately above, but you are a clownish waste of space and would claim I derail this thread even further.

Get something right and do something well and as stemsee effectively wrote - do NOT make offers and promises that are nothing but mirages.

mikeb

#50 Post by mikeb »

Ah another beautiful morning.....

jasper...Well that took the rest of the day to produce those 3 lines of reply.
In fact I am surprised you lower yourself to post on the puppy forum at all.

So no more twisting things to become the victim its now attempts to promote anger using belittlement which unfortunately fails as I realise I am one tiny piece in a world sized jigsaw. I ate my humble pie many years ago.

Well I wish you joy and happiness because believe me I would rather be happy than right.

As Gcmartin suggests to attempt to continue we should leave you be which is not such a bad idea just to be sure this is not some form of attention seeking. I am sure you will continue as you appear to be unable to help yourself. So be it...

On topic.... well the more I test the less consistent the results become....not exactly productive. My last checks gave ~2MB/s with a 300MB file on a stick that gave 1.7 with /dev/urandom and a lively 6-20MB/s with a 700MB file...or it did the other day. If the op has not given up on this thread perhaps he/she has some suggestions at this point. And yes there is surely a site testing sticks out there but perhaps that does not include on Linux of which the op was concerned that there was something in the kernels limiting performance.

mike