What flash drive speeds do you get?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
wboz

#61 Post by wboz »

I haven't checked this thread in a while so it may have been covered. Yes, there is a tech blog examining flash drive speeds. As you can imagine, trying to be comprehensive would be a bit of a fool's game. They focus so far on the higher-speed stuff (probably figuring correctly that people interested in the topic are interested in having higher speed transfer rather than lower). But they did throw in a USB hard drive and a "generic" low/mid range USB stick.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8724/expl ... ash-drives

They have benchmarks. Most drives can approach their rated speed, but briefly, and after that most need to throttle. Some do better. I also learned that the flash memory is effectively the same as what's in a SSD, although it can range in quality; what's different is the controller that accesses it. And options range from "low end/generic" up to "high-end/SSD-like" on the market.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8709/mush ... ule-review

As a result of this article I got a Mushkin Ventura Plus. The Ultra that's reviewed is a substantial step up in speed, but the Plus is quite fast enough for me and more reasonably priced.

Oh look I just found this site! http://usb.userbenchmark.com/

stemsee

#62 Post by stemsee »

Jasper wrote:From a PM I received in March 2014 [senders name withheld]
When I produce a guide, would you edit it for correctness and clarity?

But, I would like your review and your comment, Private, before publishing.

Am I out of line to ask for your review and comments?

Or is this supposed to be a al jazeera ground breaking news bulletin! I have a similar message, I assume that keeping it private means getting it right first time for the on-looker!

Are you really a 13 year old school boy?

gcmartin

#63 Post by gcmartin »

@Jasper does not seem to know what a PM is. He has not taken the time to LOOK at the blue line above the area of sender-post when sending or receiving a PM. PM is what is says; "Private Message". @Jasper chooses to create his own personal meaning that is associated with something that is done by an author of a PM to mean he has the "RIGHT" to post such in PUBLIC space. As such, in appearance, he exhibits a real disconnect in this understanding. Nor does he understand that something done in private space by an author is NOT for his publishing as he did NOT create it. None of us has the right to take something done by others in private to use unless consulting the author for their approval. In good behavior space, I think most in this community understands this, but he may have missed that class. As such he continues in presenting "really bad" behavior.

This thread wants to discuss flash drive speeds and he wants to attack because "[senders name withheld]" chose NOT to work with him. Maybe, it he examines his behavior he might see something that is useful to him in his future. :lol:

But for now, we must endure until he finds some clarity or an exit.

Back on topic
@Wboz I had some time today, and I found those site mentioned. They are providing a useful service by the means they use to examine and report USB behavior. Thanks :D

gcmartin

#64 Post by gcmartin »

Awareness: The USB interface change is underway as at least one smartDevice manufacturer is already using it. Expect the industry shift in this newer standard. In design, there exist potential for a flash to be used with PC boards as well as smartDevices.

neerajkolte

#65 Post by neerajkolte »

I installed usb3.0 pci expansion card that gave me 4 usb 3.0 ports at my floppy drive bay at front of my machine.
I don't have any usb3.0 drive yet but I will soon get one.

I did some testing using H2testw in windows7 32bit and f3 in Tahrpup 6.0, Fatdog631, Fatdog700b2.
The drive used is a non branded 8gb fat32 usb 2.0 drive.
Same usb 2.0 and usb 3.0 port were used for the tests.
The whole drive was filled during test and formatted after each test.
I didn't used cp command as I don't know how to use it properly.. yet.

Code: Select all

Write speed and time      Read speed and time

H2test in win7 : usb 3.0 port :  6.53mb/sec 20min 33sec -  17.30mb/sec 7min 23sec.
                          usb 2.0 port :  6.50mb/sec 20min 38sec -  16.30mb/sec 7min 50sec.

F3 in Tahrpup6 : usb 3.0 port :  6.94mb/sec 20min 01sec -  17.38mb/sec 7min 20sec.
                          usb 2.0 port :  6.93mb/sec 20min 04sec -  16.77mb/sec 7min 37sec.

F3 in Fatdog631: usb 3.0 port :  7.02mb/sec 19min 12sec -  17.50mb/sec 7min 17sec.
                           usb 2.0 port :  7.00mb/sec 19min 41sec -  16.91mb/sec 7min 33sec.

F3 in Fatdog7b2: usb 3.0 port :  7.02mb/sec 19min 10sec -  17.62mb/sec 7min 15sec.
                           usb 2.0 port :  6.99mb/sec 19min 29sec -  16.92mb/sec 7min 32sec.
Although I ran 3 tests per port per OS, the time given is only of last test.
Because only after 2 runs did I discover "time" command which is quite handy.
So I did it again the 3rd time.

And yes the numbers fluctuate somewhat but not highly.
I will have to see with copy command and different file systems.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.