Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Nov 2014, 06:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Losslessly convert FLV to MP4
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2014, 03:54    Post_subject:  Losslessly convert FLV to MP4
Sub_title: Tools for handling those undf videos.

If you happen to gather flv video from say the /tmp folder or elsewhere on the net you probably have come across the problem that some video players don't like them or have problems navigating through them.

Been trying out this which seems to work a treat and produces an mp4 that even me olde vlc 0.8.6 gets on with.

There are ways with ffmpeg but this is another fast approach plus links for the tools which are a little elusive on linux or special builds.

1. split the video using
FLVExtractCL -v -a INPUT.flv
or
flvextract -v -a INPUT.flv
for the python version
The result is a 264 and aac file....

2. Join them...
MP4Box -add INPUT.h264:fps=25.000 -add INPUT.aac OUTPUT.mp4
the fps is important...flvextract will give you the figure...this keeps sound in sync happily.

Done...one nicely playable no hidden codec definitions scrollable mp4 in the time it takes to read and write the files. Yes you do need room to pack and unpack the stuff...MP4box uses /root(pwd) by default but thats changeable. with the -tmp option....handy if you have a small save file for example.

Ok tools... not really petable stuff since what you use and what you have will vary.

FLVextractCL...standalone binary but needs Lucid kernel or newer ??!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oixoksfomeza3cp/FLVExtractCL?dl=1

flvextract ... standalone python version...runs on anything you have python 2.6 or newer...still needs python if that makes sense.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/64bzcvbgptdxpar/flvextract?dl=1

MP4box ...the swiss army knife of mp4... this was my build to work on older systems.... ok for puppy 4 for example/non SSE2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4sxcxi2nwllotdv/MP4Box?dl=1

All the above will need making executable since they are direct web downloads. All use basic dependencies only.

python 2.7 in squash 4...way way smaller than using the devx...and includes img2pdf.py...a lossless jpg to pdf converter....very fast.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hrg0uslg0eb84t6/Python-2.7-PIL_sfs4.sfs?dl=1
If anyone wants a squash 3 version let me know.

that's it

mike
neerajkolte

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2014, 10:22    Post_subject:  

I have some 'undf' videos which were given by friends but their extension say mp4. I don't know how he downloaded them from tube. maybe they were flv and because of not playing he may have changed their extension to mp4 to see if it works.

I will play with this tool on Fatdog.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.

mikeb

PostPosted: Mon 17 Nov 2014, 11:11    Post_subject:  

Yes...one site I originally tried this on had the .avi extension.... but a hex editor showed them to be flv.

Apart from the undf usually you cannot scroll through them either .... just rename to .flv to avoid confusion.

They mainly appear when you watch on say you tube with older flashplayer and you use the temporary file in /tmp.... they have hidden the codec info but flashplayer is ok because it only expects certain formats anyway....h264/aac was the later flv format for flash after soreson spark. After that they went to true mp4 handling and vp8 I think but that seems to have remained unpopular...cos its crap lol. A you tube downloader will get you a true mp4/webm or whatever.

mike
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum