Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile       

The time now is Sun 09 Aug 2020, 02:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Resurrection..!
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 13:56    Post subject:  

Ok found the links...I lost track of this thread for a while...

graphics seem to be intel's weak spot...trying to be jack of all trades it seems.... I suppose they feel obliged to provide the whole package.

On the older machines though I get up to double the data throughput on intel chipsets of the apparent same performance.... thing is the hardware timings are on (PC) spec with intel which unforunately the vias and alis of the world were simply not.

As for pentium 4... bit of a sick joke...they pushed that line even though it relied on piling in the current/voltage to max out the oudated technology... they wanted to recoup costs and then some.... the low power atoms etc came from the more efficient tulatin line which was held back to keep the 4 series selling and the i series were a further developement in cpu technology to take over to do the job properly without needing to fire up a small nuclear generator to run them. Very Happy

anyway...not sure if we are digressing or not...

mike
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:00    Post subject:  

IIRC, mikeb, Atoms are their own branch of the x86 architecture tree -- their own microarchitecture family and everything, not derived from elsewhere. You're probably thinking of the Pentium/Celeron M series, which *were* a polished and fancied-up P3 (likely Tualatin) architecture...

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:15    Post subject:  

atoms were developed along the lines of the tulatins..I tend to over simplfy cos me iz not an historian... thinner substates and lower voltages... used to lower power consumption rather than max the speed.... their instruction set is more limited than other cpu of the same era. I like the 4 watts max they sniffed even if they don't crunch the numbers as well as others.... the dual core variety do compensate for that to a certain extent and if you can dangle a decent video card on them can be fun too..

The later releases have nice specs but very unfriendly video for the linux world and older windows though

mike
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:24    Post subject:  

The roadmap here seems to suggest the olde pentiums live on... Smile
http://uk.ask.com/wiki/Bonnell_%28microarchitecture%29?qsrc=3044&lang=en#Roadmap

but to me it all gets a bit hazy

mike
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:33    Post subject:  

Did some digging... you're right, I'm wrong. Sorry for my earlier attempted 'correction'.

Atoms were developed from a 'Stealey' (code-name) CPU design set that was part of the McCaslin 'platform' (CPU + Chipset) for so-called 'mobile internet devices'. I'm not sure if they were ever used. If so, they would've been called A100 or A110 CPUs with no series branding.

Stealey was a cleaned-up sips-at-the-pump Dothan Pentium M... Pentium Ms of course used a variant of the P6 microarchitecture, which originally went from Pent Pro all the way to the P3 lines. Pent M stuff is the basis for the later 1st gen Core stuff (Core Solo/Duo), which in turn is the basis for the 2nd gen Core stuff (Core 2 Duo/Quad). After that, the waters in the Wikipedia River here get a little too muddy for travel -- Intel has later core architectures of course, but they don't say what the ancestors are any more Wink

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:39    Post subject:  

Yes its as clear as gazing through 50million transistors......

Another point is their developers will come and go as tends to happen with the big companies so arse won't have much idea what elbow did anyway..... Ford here for example get a new team of developers for every new car...which is why they keep making the same old mistakes...and what happens to the old ones??!!..'these seat covers were made from the 2004 fiesta suspension team....'

Are you following me or the other way around?

mike the paranoid bike person....
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:41    Post subject:  

LOL!

I had my post written out, clicked 'Submit' and was notified that we both had been typing at once.

Mere coincidence, friend.

mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 14:45    Post subject:  

STOP!!!!..I have to urinate!!!!

mike
starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 15:32    Post subject:  

Off to the loo with you, then Wink

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 15:37    Post subject:  

Hahaha!! You make a good comedy team, you pair... Laughing

I've got to the stage of middle-age now where I don't mind running the older CPU's.....'cos I'm just NOT in so much of a hurry these days. Good job, too; I tend to do quite a bit of thumb-twiddling with this old girl.....but it's like wboz posted a little while back; she might be slow, but at least she's honest! If she can handle an XP SP3 update, she can handle ANYTHING Linux can throw at her; took nearly 2 1/2 hours....!

What you see is very definitely what you get...

Regards,

Mike.
mikeb

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 15:50    Post subject:  

The way to a happy XP is to remove the update mechanism at birth....

Well happy bladder once more.

Oldie goldie eh... well still has to be snappy in my book...I like to click on something and it reacts Smile

Anyway olde does not have to be slow.....

mike
vincent.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   63.68 KB
 Viewed   93 Time(s)

vincent.jpg

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 16:17    Post subject:  

Hey, wboz.

wboz wrote:

I had no idea the chips were replaceable. Are you sure? I stripped it down to the motherboard, it didn't have any sort of CPU clip/lever like a desktop. I would not have guessed, but now I'm intrigued. And yes it does run hot. I assumed it was a CPUfreq issue, it wasn't bad enough to be concerning, that dell pulls plenty of air through with the fan ... it's a big chassis.

In my brief time with it I developed an affection for the machine. Very VERY slow but pretty honest. My favorite bit is the great keyboard.

I'll give you this link; it's for a pdf download of the original service technician's manual for the 1100.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/553953/Dell-Inspiron-1100.html

If you scroll down to the section on the 'microprocessor module', you'll see how the CPU's attached. It doesn't use the same set-up as a desktop (doesn't have the room for an 'up-and-over clip', like a desktop). Instead, it uses something called a ZIF-socket, with a cam-screw for securing/ releasing & applying steady seating pressure.

Have a look on www.cpuworld.com

If you have a look on this page:-

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/index.html

you've got the full list of the Pentium 4's. Just click on each core name (in blue) and you get the full listing of the CPU's available in that core. IF you want to replace that Celeron (I don't know which one you've got; mine's a 2.2 GHz), DON'T go for a higher frequency Celeron, because they've ALL got that same tiny L2 cache...barely any performance gains. You need to be looking at a Northwood (Netburst) Pentium 4; with a 400 MHz FSB, and the socket-478 micro-PGA package.

I know you can definitely slot a desktop Pentium in as replacement. I DON'T know about the Mobile Pentium 4-Ms; they're the same package, and same FSB, but much lower core voltage (plus they've got no heat spreader, so they're a bit more vulnerable).....can't hurt to try. Like I said, you can pick them up for a song these days; nobody wants old tech, do they? It's definitely worth considering, if you like 'tinkering'; and you can always put the old CPU back in, if the worst comes to the worst, and it doesn't work!!

Regards,

Mike.

starhawk

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 16:25    Post subject:  

ZIF = Zero Insertion Force. The lever type sockets on a desktop are also ZIF, just a different variation. Didn't know they used the slotscrew-cam method till Pentium M, lol.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 16:30    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
The way to a happy XP is to remove the update mechanism at birth....

Well happy bladder once more.

Oldie goldie eh... well still has to be snappy in my book...I like to click on something and it reacts Smile

Anyway olde does not have to be slow.....

mike

Now THAT, my man, is what I CALL a motorbike.....yessir! An uncle of mine had one when he was younger. Apparently, he used to terrorise the neighbourhood with it...

I like to be able to SEE what makes a bike tick. Not like these modern ones; all glassfibre, and completely enclosed.....might just have a big ol' rubber band under there, for all I know..... Rolling Eyes

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 18 Nov 2014, 16:33    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
ZIF = Zero Insertion Force. The lever type sockets on a desktop are also ZIF, just a different variation. Didn't know they used the slotscrew-cam method till Pentium M, lol.

Thanks for that 'nugget' of info, starhawk. The whole thing about ZIF-sockets was news to me..! Wink

Mike.

Page 3 of 19 [276 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 17, 18, 19 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: