Change swapiness setting in Tahrpup

Booting, installing, newbie
dancingdog777

Change swapiness setting in Tahrpup

#1 Post by dancingdog777 »

I installed Puppy Linux 6.0 "Tahrpup" edition on an old laptop yesterday that has only about 800 MB of RAM and a slow CPU - it's an old 'made for early XP machine.

Is there a way anyone has found of changing the swapiness value in Tahrpup because I have low ram.

In Linux Mint the default setting for swapiness is 60 and their forum suggests changing it to a lower value in machines with low ram.

I like Tahrpup and I like the way it immediately found my wireless card and my wifi point.

Slight disappointment though when you click browse. At first it can't find the default Palemoon so I manually had to download Firefox from the desktop 'Quickpet'.

OscarTalks

Re: Change swapiness setting in Tahrpup

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

dancingdog777 wrote:Is there a way anyone has found of changing the swapiness value in Tahrpup because I have low ram.
Try this
For example, to set swappiness to a value of 10
Add the line:-
sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10
to the file /etc/rc.d/rc.local
Add a carriage return on the end to start a new blank line
Save the changes
Then reboot.

Or in terminal

Code: Select all

# echo "sysctl -w vm.swappiness=10" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
# wmreboot
Oscar in England

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Slight disappointment though when you click browse. At first it can't find the default Palemoon so I manually had to download Firefox from the desktop 'Quickpet'.
That is not normal.
If you are saying it took 5 or 6 sec for Palemoon to come up. That is normal.
If you are saying it would not run at all.
That indicates you got a bad download of the Tahrpup iso, bad install, etc....

As for 800 MB of RAM. That is more than enough for Puppy.
Puppy is designed for minimum of 256MB and works fine with that.
The entire Puppy operating system is around 350MB, but usually a booted system, before you start opening programs, runs around 100MB to 150MB.
So, you can see not much of a ram load.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

dancingdog777

#4 Post by dancingdog777 »

Thanks to both of you. P/moon won't run at all so I think a bad burn is a probable cause.

If I download the ISO again what do I need to type into a terminal to check that the MD3 or SHA codes match the ones on the download page?

I realise that it won't match the final CD.

Two other queries, in Mint you can type apt-get update and apt-get upgrade, to update the system. Is there a similar instruction in Puppy Tahrpub?

Also, being a Linux user anyway it's a little worrying that in Tahrpup the user is root. I'd prefer to be a user and for root to only be accessible via a requested password, for security reasons. Is this possible in this distro please?

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

Pale moon needs SSE2 I believe...might be a factor...but running from command line would give clues.

Mike

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @

ALL of the questions you asked in this post of your's are satisfied on this ===> TahrPUP thread.

I believe if you move your post's questions there, you will have more TahrPUP users guiding you to satisfaction.

Just an idea to help you.

dancingdog777

#7 Post by dancingdog777 »

gcmartin wrote:Hello @

ALL of the questions you asked in this post of your's are satisfied on this ===> TahrPUP thread.

I believe if you move your post's questions there, you will have more TahrPUP users guiding you to satisfaction.

Just an idea to help you.
Far too many 'he said, she, said, uncle tom said, sally said, he said, she, said, uncle tom said, sally said, quotes' and piles and piles of code, makes very boring reading, far too much to trawl through on the off chance of answering a question I may have!

Interesting only if you are a geek.