EmSeeV2.3-Cafe-Edition.iso Two Sugars 27/1/15!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
steevieb

#16 Post by steevieb »

Will this detect SCSI drives, or even better, boot from them?
I have a server with two U320 drives which Slacko, and most other modern puppies, does not see.

smokey01

#17 Post by smokey01 »

stemsee wrote:@smokey-01 you were right -
Your fears of oversize made me search hard I found a cache file of 700mb doing nothing whatever! Remastering again!
Excellent. I will have a look when you re-upload it.

Thanks

stemsee

#18 Post by stemsee »

@stevieb
No! I didn't leave the true scsi drivers in. But try anyway as the latest stable kernel is included.

gcmartin

#19 Post by gcmartin »

On desktop after FirstRUN tailoring

stemsee

#20 Post by stemsee »

I found that gimp-2.8 has remnants of a previous version (only links) here is the sfs and pet with correct links (links only) 4kb
sfs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing

pet
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing

Scooby

#21 Post by Scooby »

Now got the .iso

Booted without incident on my easy2boot usb stick.
Boot time a little long for obvious reasons.

A nice variety of programs but according to interest a bit bloated.

What the H*** is ppstream? Is it possible to have it in any other language
than chinese. Although I like cute chinese women I do not like the ads
this programs bring up all the time.

Is ppstream a hit in the west also?

Screent-tearing present as in all linuxes for me -- fixable

*edit*
Couldn't tab over to no at first shutdown when being asked question if I wanna save
session? dunnow why but maybe something with keyboard, Had to use danish
cause swedish unavailible??

A nice addition to puppy world which does not emphasize modular approach
As gcmartin said probably a good first puppy experience for Windows refugees.

Will keep it for as long as I got enough space on USB stick

stemsee

#22 Post by stemsee »

cheers @scooby.

PPStream is a purely chinese app. I think it is usefull for anyone, like me, who studies chinese language and culture. The quality of the broadcasts are outstanding too! The adverts are annoying as you point out. Just remove it and remaster.

I am uploading a slimmer iso right now. Even though I skimmed off at least 800mb from the iso (because of Smokey01 being apprehensive (good thing too)), I have opted for gz compression, which means two things. First the size is at 2.1gb instead of 1.6gb with -xz -b 1024 -Xbcj x86, but without the xz compression it is MUCH faster to load and use in general. Anyone who gets this can run sfs-direct-remaster and use a higher compression to get a smaller .sfs; even remove apps you don't like/need and reduce it further using ppm or remove builtin!
Also fixed a few things like gimp, xbmc stable, and teamviewer and sfs-direct-remaster and smokey-get (by Fredx181 over at DebianDog (this script is a game changer)) to which I have added pupli-repo by puppus dogfellow. Smokey-get also accesses 01micko, jemimah, saintless, pemasu, oscartalks, carolina, pemasu, jamesC, stu90 and Tman.

Puppus Dogfellow

#23 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

download failed, stuck at 2180. any ideas why?

stemsee

#24 Post by stemsee »

stuck at 2180, means appears to be stuck! Probably completed successfully. Navigate to download folder and have a look!

Puppus Dogfellow

#25 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

stemsee wrote:stuck at 2180, means appears to be stuck! Probably completed successfully. Navigate to download folder and have a look!
it was one of those cogs with a .part extension, which i've since deleted. will try again.

:)

edit: EmSeeV2.3.iso mirrored.

slavvo67

#26 Post by slavvo67 »

Hi Stemsee:

First off, congratulations on your offering. This is an extremely large offering but also has much to offer in return. Normally, I wouldn't even look at something this large but knowing the quality of your Pets, it certainly piqued my curiousity. I like looking at Puppies that are large because they usually have at least a few applications that I wouldn't normally add on my own, so it almost forces me to look at new programs.

My first boot attempt at 32 bit, I received a Kernal Panic. Yikes, not a good start. Then I tried the 64 bit and it booted up without issue.

This is well done and most everything works that is included from what I can tell. It was nice to see a few different default games. Nice touch. I admit, I use very few multimedia items, so all this extra is too much for little old me. Still, I can see the value for those that use a bunch of multimedia items. Same with the graphic items.

LibreOffice is big but it is the only real game in town if you want reliability. People will argue with me on this one forever but even Barry's attempt with Free Office has resulted in garbled files.

Firefox works nicely; though I'm definitely not sold on having IE on any Linux. It never seems to work quite right.

I think part of the size issue for the .iso is the fact that the DEVX is part of your Puppy by default. Most others include devx as an add-on to keep the size down.

Anyway, I want to thank you for the nice offering and changing the regular playing field a little. It's a nice addition.

Kind regards,

Slavvo67

stemsee

#27 Post by stemsee »

thanks @ slavvo67 for your comments.

You will be pleased to know that I have prepared an xz max compressed version of the same EmSeeV2.3.sfs and weighs in at 1.6GB, that is 800mb off the compressed size which by rule of thumb is 2.4gb off of the decompressed system!! Thinking more clearly now I realise that adding a complete set of apps so that nothing more need be added, means there is no real need to leave the devx files in the main sfs!
So still a heavy weight no functionality lost just a fairly serious clean up of libs. It should be up alongside present gzipped offering for those who prefer smaller over faster!

There are some neat customisations and scripts which I will turn into pets for all to use on any pup, should they want it.

veronicathecow

It's bigger than I thought

#28 Post by veronicathecow »

I tried to download and I thought, mmmm that's a long time.
Attachments
dlss.jpg
(49.88 KiB) Downloaded 388 times

stemsee

#29 Post by stemsee »

@veronicathecow

Ha ha! Thanks for sharing. Surely one for my facebook page!

Your connection must be in reverse! Or worse on a 56k dial-up modem! Or maybe your you are stuck in a time vortex!?
It is a good reminder of the perils of modern technology.
Send me a pm I will post you a dvd!

veronicathecow

#30 Post by veronicathecow »

Hi stemsee, that's a very kind offer but I cancelled and re-dowwnloaded it.
If you look to the right it says size is 17179869184 GB, 3.4MBs download speed :D
I remember using a 14400 modem. That would have taken 37.42 hours to download your DVD... Ah the good old days how I long for them...

gcmartin

#31 Post by gcmartin »

stemsee wrote:... Thinking more clearly now I realise that adding a complete set of apps so that nothing more need be added, means there is no real need to leave the devx files in the main sfs! ... .
NO, NO, NO!

Dont 2nd guess yourself. The beauty you have made for us, newbies or experienced, users or developers, is that "WE" don't have to add, search, or resurrect anything to use this distro to ANY benefit we would need.

Further, you have also provided us with utilities and subsystems that allow us to tailor this system to our likings, should anyone want.

This is what makes this a marvelously humble approach in 2014 with the world having come to this point in technology that many/most have in today's homes.

You have done us all a BIG favor with this, and it allow everyone of us to think as we explode the benefits we continue to find in this distro. This is a complete work! It is showing us how performance and functionality can be BOTH in a PUP.

Members are already seeing that they can boot it in 32bit mode or 64bit mode with their data and their content present in either case. So much ever present in this distro for all of us to witness. I am sure some distro developers are already thinking about how to take this to the next level.

@StemSee, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :!: ... again.

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

@GCMartin

Ah Ha!

Back to my original thought.!!

There are already enough slim puppies out there, let's keep a few St.Bernards with their brandy barrels at the ready ... !

Big pups are, indeed, my breed!

@Mavrothal

I have added code to EmSeeV2.3 - re-touched which with the click of a button in the tray nearest the menu button removes all icons from the desktop, and click again to restore. Is that what you wanted??

EmSeeV2.3 (should be 2.4 but I can't be bothered to rename it) slimmed down without loss of functionality (1.6GB). Added show/hide icons button (or terminal command nicons), stable sfs-direct-remaster and sfs-unattended-remaster at V4.7 (15/11/14), Bash reference Manual/tutorials, small improvements here and there. Recommended to download. This is probably my last revision of this distro at V2.*

Ready in the morning.

Stemsee out!

mavrothal

#33 Post by mavrothal »

stemsee wrote:@Mavrothal

I have added code to EmSeeV2.3 - re-touched which with the click of a button in the tray nearest the menu button removes all icons from the desktop, and click again to restore. Is that what you wanted??
Yeh, having the 2 ends is something, butyou may want to look at some old utilities that may make your life easier.
Desksetup curerntly at v 0.7 (or v 0.8-international) is the first one. I guess you could customize it for next version so all the arrangements for different resolutions could be there (ie 1440X900-full).
Another one is a simple configurable 2nd JWM panel that could be modified to generate a "game panel" a "media panel" etc.
For now the original versions of both may do. :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

stemsee

#34 Post by stemsee »

Here it is EmSeeV2.3-re-touched.iso; slim (1.6gb), compressed maximally, new= show/hide icons works globally, also upgrades to some apps/scripts.

see first post 2/12
Attachments
capture1694.jpg
Show icons
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
capture32064.jpg
Hide icons
(20.12 KiB) Downloaded 636 times
Last edited by stemsee on Tue 02 Dec 2014, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

#35 Post by Jasper »

It has died on me three times (each time within 20 minutes). Further, it (the 1.6 GB version) was slowish to boot and painfully slow to use.

The speed might be significantly improved using the 2.1 GB version and/or better hardware specs which, hopefully, would also rectify the instability.

It provides much that I do not want and lacks much that I do want and my personally tailored version of Precise 5.6 is, for me, infinitely superior.

I shall be interested to read the views of other testers (whether seasoned Puppy users (expert and/or experienced), newcomers and those in between).

My regards