ubuntu and puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
calimero8282

ubuntu and puppy

#1 Post by calimero8282 »

seen that puppy uses ubuntu and ubuntu use the update manager, there should be an automatic update manager also in puppy? thanks

ps an user says me use quickpet, but it is anyway manual, how do you know if you need updates? thanks

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

Puppy is based on Ubuntu, but that doesn't mean that Ubuntu updates will work on Puppy.

A beach buggy may be based on a Volkswagen, but that doesn't mean an update to the VW bodywork will fit a Buggy.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

saintless

Re: ubuntu and puppy

#3 Post by saintless »

calimero8282 wrote:seen that puppy uses ubuntu and ubuntu use the update manager, there should be an automatic update manager also in puppy? thanks

ps an user says me use quickpet, but it is anyway manual, how do you know if you need updates? thanks
Write and vote here to have this option included in puppy sooner. The script for automatic check is available and maybe you will get also advice how to make it auto-downloading the updates in the puppy version you use now.

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Burn_IT wrote:Puppy is based on Ubuntu
Not entirely. Some Puppies (Lucid and Precise, most notably, along with BarryK's Tahr experimentations) are based on Ubuntu, yes, but we have more than that.

Wary kinda does its own thing. IIRC it's not based on any other distro, per se; it's built with T2 packages but T2 is a build system rather than a regular distro.

Racy is an updated Wary. Wary is for relic-age hardware; Racy is for slightly newer stuff.

Precise is our current official Ubuntu offering.

Slacko is our flagship and is based on (depending on version) Slackware 13.37, 14.0, or 14.1 packages (but is somewhat backwards-compatible with earlier such packages).

However -- Puppy's core functionality is for the most part separate from any compatibility stuff. Yes, you can use Ubuntu Precise Pangolin packages in Precise Puppy (for the most part) but it's a compatibility thing. The stuff that makes Puppy, Puppy -- that hasn't changed dramatically in a long time. Sure, it's got more functionality, not to mention the compatibility stuff -- but if you strip everything out that's been tacked on to provide that, you basically get Puppy 2.14 with a very recent kernel and Xorg.

Puppy is not Ubuntu. Puppy is not really Ubuntu based (even including the ones that can use Ubuntu packages!). Puppy is --sometimes-- Ubuntu compatible. If you treat it that way, you won't go too wrong ;)

Burn_IT

#5 Post by Burn_IT »

Starhawk, you don't need to explain it to me, I am aware of the different versions and bases.
I was trying to explain it to the OP.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

starhawk

#6 Post by starhawk »

Burn_IT wrote:I was trying to explain it to the OP.
No worries, I was trying to do the same ;) Sorry I wasn't more clear.

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

starhawk wrote: Precise is our current official Ubuntu offering.
should be....

tahrpup and quirky unicorn are our current ubuntu offerings :wink:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96178
http://bkhome.org/news/?viewDetailed=00093
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

calimero8282

#8 Post by calimero8282 »

thanks guys, i use precise 571, should i use tahr 6.0 or not yet? thanks for the previous answers :)

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

I say use Tahrpup 6.0 CE

It is the latest and is very much actively supported by the developer.

Will require you to do a complete new fresh install of Tahrpup 6.0 CE.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

starhawk

#10 Post by starhawk »

@666philb -- BK has stated clearly that Quirky Unicorn is not a Puppy. As for Tahrpup, I was not aware that it was out of beta/testing yet... is it?