Brother printers 'sleep' instead of printing in Racy puppy

Using applications, configuring, problems
sindi

Brother printers 'sleep' instead of printing in Racy puppy

#1 Post by sindi »

Racy puppy used to print but now when I send a file to either of my Brother printers (MFC-7820N, MFC-7440N) the printer reads 'sleep' and it will not print. The same pdf file prints in Wary puppy on the same computer. How might I have messed up the software?

I need Wary and the latest Pale Moon because ebay won't print shipping labels with previous Pale Moons and Lupu won't work with recent Pale Moon. Right now I save the pdf label in Wary and print it with Lupu.

Marv

#2 Post by Marv »

One thought:
Compare the /etc/hosts file in wary and racy on your computer. One Idiosyncrasy of most Brother installs is that they require a line like 192.168.10.31 BRN008077ECF5D2 in the hosts file where the second item is exactly the connection name from the CUPS install for that printer.
Another:
If you send a print job and then look at the queue in CUPS does it give you an error message?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Could try to uninstall the printer from CUPS and all needed software to use it.
Then do a complete new install, with everything needed.

You are using Racy 5.5?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sindi

Replaced racy save file

#4 Post by sindi »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Since BOTH printers were asleep it seems unlikely reinstalling either driver would help (though I could try that when I have time).
I put off fixing the problem and would download files with Racy and print with Lupu.

The save file appears to have become corrupt. Today 'loading kernel modules' produced a blank screen.
I tried replacing the big racy sfs file, and kernel and initrd.gz, then copied the 'save' file from my other (2004) laptop.
After using debbi to install the Brother driver, it works again. I will keep backups of save files.

The original 2007 hard drive may have a bad area. The laptop came to me with bad wifi and optical controller but lovely keyboard.

Lupu and Racy are the only Puppy 5's I could make work with my nvidia video chip.
Racy libraries were updated to support Palemoon 28, needed for Ebay now, from a helpful package.
Can someone post a racy 5.6 that includes them?

The Tahr 6.05 kernel and other Puppy 6 kernels do not support my video hardware.
Even an external monitor displays scrambled.

Ebay won't display images in listings in Racy (right click to view them anyway).
It will in Lupu on this computer, and in Racy on the older computer.

I set up a speedy 2006 Thinkpad T60, but no sound in Lupu 2016. Non-widescreen, matte.
DELL E1405 or E1505 are even faster. They came with bad hard drives or screens or power jacks.
They take 4GB but even Tahr works in 512MB (kill unwanted processes).

sindi

HP DV-6500 not recommended for puppy linux

#5 Post by sindi »

Racy is again sending the Brother printer to sleep from my DV-6500.
With newly replaced save file.

Wary, debiandog Jessie, and debiandog Wheezy, which do work with the nvidia chip, refuse to save changes.

Lupu works. Racy works with Palemoon 28 and I can save files to print with lupu.

Time for a replacement computer.

sindi

fixed 'sleep'by uninstalling and reinstalling Brother driver

#6 Post by sindi »

My original computer finished dying. dv6500. First it would boot Win7 but often not linux, then never linux, then sometimes Win7, then to grub4dos only, then not even that and it kept rebooting itself. Good riddance to the nvidia chip not usable with external monitor even in Windows, or with puppies 6 or later. Racy was the only linux that would run Pale Moon 28.

Next computer using same racysave.2fs also sleeps.

I deleted racysave and rebooted in RAM mode (no save file).
Installed Brother driver, it printed.
Made a bunch of other minor changes, then upgraded glibc to 2.2.0
(see forum discussion on glibc 2.2.0 upgrade) so Pale Moon 28.8 would work. Printer problem was back.

Uninstalled and reinstalled the Brother driver and it printed.

Something about the upgrade may have changed printer settings.
binutils, gcc, glibc and some gcc dependencies.

The download links for the six required upgrade files are on page 2. The links on page one have files by the same names but they are small and wrong.

On the new computer DV5000 (2006) I can't find a way to specify framebuffer console during boot but I don't expect perfection.

sindi

reinstall

#7 Post by sindi »

I forgot to thank bigpup for the reinstall suggestion.

It is hard to diagnose two problems at once. Good thing the first computer stopped working.

sindi

Back to sleep

#8 Post by sindi »

On DV5000 today both Racy and Precise 5.7.1 Light are sending the printer to sleep. The ppd file has some lines about sleep that I will research.

Tahr prints.

lp -d MFC7820N filename.pdf prints in Tahr.

The DV6500 is working again. It stopped recognizing more than 2GB RAM. 2x512MB worksor 2x1GB or 1x2GB. Tahr cannot handle the nvidia video.
Only Racy (if it still worked) and Windows 7 (in 2GB ;=( )will run Palemoon 28 and also print.

I probably did NOT uninstall the printer drivers since I don't know how to do that with debbi, which cannot find a dpkg directory it needs. Mystery.

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

with a really old computer or any computer doing strange things.
Open up the case and look inside.
Check all connections to make sure they are good, not loose.
Check for corrosion on any connection points.
Look for any damage.
Check capacitors for leaking and bulging.
Clean it out.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sindi

Avoid Brother printers

#10 Post by sindi »

Precise puppy light 5.7.1-3 updated. (5.7.2 has problems).

Prints several times in a row from HP DV5000.

Lupu 2016 also prints.

Racy 5.5 sends printer to sleep.

Tahr 6.0.5 won't connect to wifi. error on line 79 of gtkdialog
I tried sns, frisbee and net-setup.sh b43

On DELL 1521 CUPS tells me the printer is processing (does not print)
in lupu precise or tahr.
Racy kernel panics.
B43 wifi is not even detected in lupu but works in Tahr.

Good to have choices.

sindi

how do I disable nouveau so nvidia driver will work?

#11 Post by sindi »

I downloaded the no-PAE kernel, modules, and nvidia-340 pet (for Tahr).
petget in Precise 5.7.1 light fortunately works without X and installed the 17MB pet (which expanded a lot).

no-PAE because my HP DV6500 recently stopped working with more than 2GB RAM (1x2 2x1 2x512 all work but 2x2 or 2+1 prevent boot).

I added precise to menu.lst and it booted to console. I ran xorgwizard and it chose 1024x768 (laptop can do 1280x800) and booted to X, but the mouse does not move (touchpad) and there is a message saying to disable nouveau.

Terminal mode worked so I mounted /sda1 and edited menu.lst
and rebooted.

nomodeset did not help
nouveau modeset=0 prevented it from fully booting, with skinny square font and something about no (module?).

The instructions online for disabling nouveau are for Ubuntu and require using apt-get to fetch some fancy automated tools.

Do I edit some file to blacklist nouveau?

Framebuffer console is NOT working ;=( Maybe it will eventually work.

Racy on this laptop does framebuffer console but never prints on any computer to my Brother laser printers.

I will try Wheezy links soon, in Debiandog Wheezy. Jessie lynx works in Jessie but not Wheezy.

Precise light is working perfectly on the HP DV5000 (which freezes up randomly in various OS'es such as while typing at the forum) and two other laptops now.

sindi

wrong item sorry

#12 Post by sindi »

This was supposed to go in Precise Light discussion. Precise prints. Racy has failed to print on four laptops with two printers.