StemseeS-Remastering-Suite-V5.4 pet 22/05/15

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
slavvo67

#31 Post by slavvo67 »

I tested Option 3 on Unattended Remaster and the following occurred:

For the drive, I chose SDA3. I had it mounted.

I received an error: /usr/bin/sfs-unattended-remaster: line 473

/mnt/sda3/apupsys/etc/DISTRO-SPECS:

No such file or directory.

After checking my SDA3, most of the files were moved into bpupiso directory.

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

@slavvo67

You would normally have run sfs-unattended-remaster, menu option 8, first, choosing sda3 as the word drive! So I assume that you didn't do that and therefore there was no existing apupsys directory, or that you selected the option to delete that directory at the end of the previous remaster, which means you attended the remasterbecause default is to leave the folder , apupsy, in existence! Looking at the script I see that I need to put a better test in place for the apupsys folder. The script looks for /etc/DISTRO_SPECS in apupsys, but doesn't stop if not found. Then the script offers to rsync with running system ... at this point if apupsys doesn't exist then it could be created, or a path to the remaster section should be made.

Have you completed any successful remasters during this time?

Thanks for the feedback!

stemsee

#33 Post by stemsee »

duplicate

slavvo67

#34 Post by slavvo67 »

I'm working on it as I write this. It seems to be working quite slow when creating the sfs file. That might be because my distro is packed with LibreOffice, Truecrypt, PhotoRec/Testdisk, Seamonkey, Opera, MPlayer, to name a few. I'll let you know of the outcome. I'm doing a backup of the Puppy OV Precise Retro 5.8.

Sorry that I haven't been quicker responding to this. Barry's QU has spoiled me a bit, as it shuts down quickly and saves on the fly. It would be nice if his backup system created smaller backups but it seems to work well.

slavvo67

My initial results

#35 Post by slavvo67 »

Ok. Results were good when using (8 or 10). I believe 10 produced the .sfs file only, which was easily dragged and dropped into place on my USB. It renamed the .sfs the exact same as what was on the USB... I knew you were working on this ... NICE TOUCH!

I believe choosing 8 created other files but I wasn't sure what they were for? I originally thought for an .iso but burning the directory gave me a kernal error (could not find kernal VM Linux). It booted to your splash screen but items 2 and 3 would not work due to this kernal error. If they were supposed to be a recreation of the USB, this seems to have failed as the names of the files differed. I didn't boot to test this.

You'll notice from the attached photo that the count is different between the top and the bottom (one at 84%, one at 52% - not sure why).

Your menu was a little confusing for those of us that don't read very closely :oops: so I would suggest changing some of the options; putting the more likely important options on top and the "add ons" below. I would also put a 'q' for quit other than another number.

Overall, it seems pretty cool. I need to play around with it more. I believe item 10 gave me the best result (creating an sfs only, with the exact name of my distro .. just drag and drop onto the usb and reboot - provided you are not running that usb live at the time).

I will certainly be testing this one more as there are plenty of different options here. Maybe you can make a brief "how to" html or txt file?

All the best and thanks for the nice product!

Slavvo67

stemsee

#36 Post by stemsee »

thanks slavvo67

There are one or two bugs to squash and some improvements to make.

The reason it took long to make the squashfs was that you chose either rxm or dxm compression. For a speedy result choose either rg or dg, that will be the quikest.

SFS-direct-remaster will be developed to produce a bootable iso as well as sfs-unattended-remaster.

regards
stemsee

Ted Dog

#37 Post by Ted Dog »

where is the latest greatous version.

plan to add Bluray and EFI boot options ( no format boot for win8 and Macs on flashdrives )

I have a issue with google hosting.. :shock:

Ted Dog

#38 Post by Ted Dog »

and md5sum file support like other distros
and direct burn to DVD and Bluray ( skips the construction of an ISO file )

ok that is all I had on my plate except for GUI Support etc.

Also a delta file mode would be nice.

stemsee

#39 Post by stemsee »

Things I never ever thought of!

As you can see there is a lot of repeated code that should be reduced to functions. I am planning to rewrite.

So Just create your functions and after testing I will add them to the menu, or replace the existing faulty entries.

If you search for nluug-get.pet aftter installing run fixmenus then restart x. In the menu will be gdrive-get. Run that and explore stemsee pet files, you will find the latest remastering -suite.pet

:)

Ted Dog

#40 Post by Ted Dog »

ok good plan.

most are small code snippets anyway.

(it installed on FD7b2 but when I select the menu item nothing happens, good idea BTW on a google get..

stemsee

#41 Post by stemsee »

Ah HA

I forgot to mention the dependencies - elinks and Yad newer is better

slavvo67

#42 Post by slavvo67 »

Stemsee

Again, I revisit your thread! I was thinking, how great to store all of my .iso files in the same format as Barry's .xz files to install directly to USB using Barry's installer.

Looks like I can get there with your tools. I'm having a new looksie...

Best,

Slavvo67

stemsee

#43 Post by stemsee »

@slavvo67

Glad to hear it has other uses.

I just started working on parts of sfs-unattended-remaster today. Namely, menu option 7b (savefile resize on the fly) which now works perfectly in the bat of an eye, and updates /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf with new size in bytes. Must restart X to re-enable the savefile space icon in the tray, but that isn't needed for it to work. In fact I don't know how to make the tray icon update the new savefile size except reboot.

from line 649 onwards

Code: Select all

b) echo "Enter resize value e.g. 50"
		read rs
		umount -l /initrd/pup_rw
		if [[ -f /mnt/home/$SAVEFILE ]]; then
		SAVEPART=home
		elif [[ -f /mnt/Home/$SAVEFILE ]]; then
		SAVEPART=Home
		elif [[ -f $path$SAVEPART$SAVEFILE ]]; then
		SAVEPART=$SAVEPART
		fi
		dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=$rs >> $path$SAVEPART$SAVEFILE
		sync
		sed -i '4d' /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf
		SIZEPFILE2=`stat $path$SAVEPART$SAVEFILE | grep -e 'Size' | cut -f2 -d ':' | cut -f2 -d ' '`
		sed -i '4iSIZEPFILE='$SIZEPFILE2'' /etc/rc.d/pupsave.conf
		xn=`echo $SAVEFILE | cut -f2 -d '.' | cut -f1 -d 'f'`
		mount -t ext"$xn" $path$SAVEPART$SAVEFILE /initrd/pup_rw
		gtkdialog-splash -text "Restart X to update icon in  tray."
		$rtn2menu && exit;;

stemsee

#44 Post by stemsee »

Due for a rewrite.

I want to add reverse sync with apupsys to update a running system. I also wish to integrate sukk (stems-unattended-kernel-kompiling) into the suite to proved kernel upgrade path, or maybe just include wget line to download kernel package...or both! Also make clear the install function that exists in its functions.

Time to confer the ability to produce an iso on sfs-direct-remaster. And to remaster rufwoofs humungous initrd. And upgrade modules into lighthouse initrd automatically.

stemsee

#45 Post by stemsee »

If you wish to perform a remaster of April 7.0 you will need to edit /etc/DISTRO_SPECS and add 'DISTRO_PUPPYSFS=q.sfs' without the quotes.

You will have to manually update initrd.q but I will update the script to repack the initrd.q aswell.

sketchman

#46 Post by sketchman »

It's still giving me weird issues. It built an iso this time, but it still did not make an sfs. It just copied the apupsys dir into the iso instead. It also did not copy the kernel to the iso.

I used option 8 on a full HD install.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

stemsee

#47 Post by stemsee »

which partition is the install on (sda2 ?) or the entire sda hdd? Give more info/details.

. I recommend option 10 = sfs-direct-remaster.

sketchman

#48 Post by sketchman »

Install is on sdb1 and the iso is built on sdc1.

I'll try 10 when I get the chance later today.
"In a world that exists without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?"

stemsee

#49 Post by stemsee »

SRS-v5 accomodates April. q.sfs
removed code for rc.local
added 'growisofs -speed=8'

https://mega.co.nz/#!oJplASiC!1xoagNfBI ... 8jUM67Piks

slavvo67

#50 Post by slavvo67 »

Is #6 supposed to create a bootable USB from an ISO? I was having a bit of trouble there trying to do so with 3 Headed Dog. Can you detail this a little more?

Thanks,

Slavvo67