Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 23 Nov 2014, 08:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
What do you think is the most important part of Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2014, 23:12    Post subject:  What do you think is the most important part of Puppy?  

An open question.

Here's my answer:

Puppy, the OS, is about speed, small size, ease of use, and reliable operation.

Puppy, the Forum, is about openness and community (well, for most of us, anyhow) -- it is an environment in which, yes, support and development happen, but it's more than that because for the most part we care about each other. Sure we have our differences (for example, there's one particular forum member whose sig is blatantly religious and it is mildly offensive to me because I'm not) but we have more together as a group than as individuals.

Further, Puppy The OS did not happen in a vacuum. It would not be, well, much of anything really -- if it were not for this Forum and the members therein. We all help each other make Puppy The OS happen, as part of Puppy The Forum.

Speaking from personal experience: I am a poor American. I have learned, by way of not having wealth to spread around (or, honestly, enough money for monthly groceries and the bills), that relationships are far more valuable than any currency could hope to be. A dollar, once spent, is gone -- but a few good friends will get you through near anything. (I'd like to think, for example, that all our sympathy and good thoughts/feelings/encouragement towards nooby near the end of his life, made his life brighter and longer than it would've been otherwise...)

The community end of things is the most important part... it gives us strength. One-person distros die when the one person either loses interest or stops being able to maintain the distro for whatever reason. Our community base lets us keep plowing on even though our one person decided to (mostly) retire.

OK, now that I've got the ball rolling, let's let the rest of the forum weigh in...

What do you think is the most important part of Puppy?

darry1966

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2014, 23:42    Post subject:  

Agreed size and speed and ease of use. For me though it is not having Windows style updates that hijack your system, eg. when you want to shut it down telling you have a 100 updates to download and install.
starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2014, 23:51    Post subject:  

...yeah, I can agree to that, lol... towards the end of using Windows I started to believe that the only real purpose of Automatic Updates was to slow you down so you'd want to upgrade. LOL.

Built a sys for my father for Christmas, put Win7 on it (he'll never convert, he doesn't get it) and when it went to install updates I was like, ohhhh yeaaaaaahhh I remember you little bastards...

p310don

PostPosted: Wed 29 Oct 2014, 23:59    Post subject:  

The question can go further than what I think is most important and what I like about it. I also would ask why I am still with Puppy?

I like Puppy because it is small and fast.
It is Linux, so it is probably more secure than windows.
I like to run as root.
I like that I can tinker if I want to. (this can also read break stuff).
I like that through a frugal install with a backed up save file I can restore stuff after my tinkering
I like that I know how to do a manual frugal install of just about all Puppies in grub4dos to get them working.
I like that I can do that manual frugal install in less than 1 minute.
I like that it is an Australian Made distro (largely) and I'm an Aussie!
I like that the community is from all parts of the world and can work together.

The answer to the OP's question, what is most important is probably the community. Without this forum, I wouldn't have my Puppy exactly how I want it. I don't know myself where to dig to change things. I know how to search on murga though to find where to dig to change things.

Without this forum, I don't think that Puppy would be what it is. Whether it may be better without it, and its inherent anarchic do-acracy, or worse is up for debate I guess.

I don't think I could put my finger on what part of Puppy is the most important, or best thing. Puppy is one of those special things that is greater than the sum of its parts. If one part wasn't there, it'd just be what all the others are. I guess that means that the most important part of Puppy, is Puppy.
p310don

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 00:02    Post subject:  

Windows updates undoubtedly slow a PC down. I have two PCs at work.

Both almost identical, on the same network. One has internet access, the other doesn't, and never has had.

Both are 10 years old, running XP.

The one that has never seen the internet runs like a dream. The one that has the internet is a slow old dog. I had to install an extra gig or RAM at one stage to liven it back up. Apart from that RAM, both machines are the same. The one with more RAM runs slower. It is the one that gets the "updates".

You decide.
starhawk

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 00:04    Post subject:  

p310don, I really like your answer re: Puppy. You put it better than I did.

As for Windows, yeah, that about confirms what I thought. LOL.

darry1966

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 00:12    Post subject:  

@Starhawk and those updates must use hard drive space as you end with about a million of the little buggers in add/remove programs.
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 04:02    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
I like Puppy because it is small and fast.
It is Linux, so it is probably more secure than windows.
I like to run as root.
I like that I can tinker if I want to. (this can also read break stuff).
I like that through a frugal install with a backed up save file I can restore stuff after my tinkering
I like that I know how to do a manual frugal install of just about all Puppies in grub4dos to get them working.
I like that I can do that manual frugal install in less than 1 minute.
I like that it is an Australian Made distro (largely) and I'm an Aussie!
I like that the community is from all parts of the world and can work together.

The answer to the OP's question, what is most important is probably the community. Without this forum, I wouldn't have my Puppy exactly how I want it. I don't know myself where to dig to change things. I know how to search on murga though to find where to dig to change things.

Without this forum, I don't think that Puppy would be what it is. Whether it may be better without it, and its inherent anarchic do-acracy, or worse is up for debate I guess..

Ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto
x100

Except for the 'i'm an aussie' comment. Us kiwis think of ourselves as your beta testers across the ditch Smile

Most of all I like that Puppy gives me the power to build it like I want it to be.
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 04:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
towards the end of using Windows I started to believe that the only real purpose of Automatic Updates was to slow you down so you'd want to upgrade. LOL.

as mentioned elsewhere...TURN IT OFF.
I always do at install and never had a problem without it.... 11 years on one install runs like new ON the internet. Done the same with windows 7 I was playing with and seems fine. Does not apply to built in service packs..they actually seem ok but being built in is better than any form of 'updating' as a general rule.

Puppy... easy to play with...in fact essential you do...get yer hands dirty ... good to learn the rights and wrongs . As also mentioned elsewhere this forum seems to be the kingpin of the whole raison d'etre. You just have to put yer poo filter on ...but thats a general internet need.

mike
6502coder

PostPosted: Thu 30 Oct 2014, 22:32    Post subject:  

@p310don

You nailed it!
slavvo67

PostPosted: Thu 20 Nov 2014, 22:44    Post subject:  

Back to the question at hand, answered in one word: Barry! Make it two words: Still Barry.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2014, 05:47    Post subject:  

I liked it when it was still small and light on resources (that's why I still use Puppy 412) occasionally. I have to confess however that I have re-discovered how good Windows XP operates with limited system resources, so still my primary system. Puppy is fun to play with though.
nic007

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2014, 05:54    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Quote:
towards the end of using Windows I started to believe that the only real purpose of Automatic Updates was to slow you down so you'd want to upgrade. LOL.

as mentioned elsewhere...TURN IT OFF.
I always do at install and never had a problem without it.... 11 years on one install runs like new ON the internet. Done the same with windows 7 I was playing with and seems fine. Does not apply to built in service packs..they actually seem ok but being built in is better than any form of 'updating' as a general rule.

Puppy... easy to play with...in fact essential you do...get yer hands dirty ... good to learn the rights and wrongs . As also mentioned elsewhere this forum seems to be the kingpin of the whole raison d'etre. You just have to put yer poo filter on ...but thats a general internet need.

mike

Windows 7 just seems a bit too bulky for me. Also not as easy to stop updates as windows XP it seems but maybe I have not worked enough on a windows 7 system to learn the ins and outs. With windows 7 there seems to be a pop-up whenever you want to open something - I find that annoying.
mikeb

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2014, 16:11    Post subject:  

Hmm yes their...."Our system is safe now because we have loads of annoying popups" design approach introduced in Vista....give you that nice fasle sense of security Very Happy

Yeah its big.... 4GB I got down to during an uncluttering session.... they also use hard links which often get lost along the way so you end up with lots of file duplications. There is a hell of a lot of redundant stuff for most users.... only thing I can say is that it can boot quickly and run reasonably fast in spite of the size....a low powered dual core is a good idea though. But then again I removed all but essential updates, turned that off and had no antivirus.... those 2 are major cpu/space hogs.

After testing and using for a bit its lefts on a hard drive or 2 and I might use it one day.

Most important part of puppy... the unsung heroes who make the blessed thing work.

mike
tallboy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Nov 2014, 22:49    Post subject:  

The most important part of Puppy is the user!

tallboy

Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: