Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 08:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Android MTPdevices & Puppies
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
davids45

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2014, 02:43    Post subject:  Android MTPdevices & Puppies
Subject description: Connecting failures persisting

G'day,

I have a range of Android devices (phone, tablets).

I'd like to transfer files to them from Puppy on my desktop but cannot get connections with the MTPdevice pets.

I'm hoping someone can find where my problem lies.

Android Hardware:
Phone is a Bauhn SphereB5, running Android-4.2.2, cpu ARMv7-rev3(v71)

Two 7-inch newish 'Next7P12' tablets running Android-4.0.4 - for the nearly-3-year-old grandkids to play 'apps' games and watch videos;

One Bauhn 10-inch tablet (WL-101GQC) using 4.1.2 (mine again soon Very Happy maybe, having survived the assault by the ~3-year-olds during past 'minding' sessions)

Problem is erratic behaviour of the mtpdevice packages (failure to connect the devices).

Connection is via a micro-USB cable to Puppy desktops (tried a couple).

Running MTPdevice from the Filesystem menu.

Only infrequent connection achieved (the phone is least poor, the 7”s not once connected, and it seems the more I try, the less anything works)

- with mtpdevice-0.10 I get the red box (“An error occurred”) if a new device not having already been recognised
- with mtp-015, the red box for a “new” device, sometimes nothing with a previously recognised device.

Running mtpdevice-0.10 from Terminal:

dialog box opens advising me to connect device now.
device(s) connected so I click 'OK'
box disappears, message on terminal as follows:
cat: /sys/bus/usb/devices//manufacturer : No such file or directory
cat: /sys/bus/usb/devices//product : No such file or directory
cat: /sys/bus/usb/devices//idproduct : No such file or directory
cat: /sys/bus/usb/devices//idvendor : No such file or directory

Running mtpdevice-0.15 from the terminal, terminal dialog box reads as above or sometimes only:
/usr/sbin/mtpdevice: line 29: notify-send: command not found

(This seems to depend on which Puppy I try. I've tried Slacko, Tahr, Precise, as Fulls & Frugals without real success)

Running mtpdevice-0.15 from the FileSystem menu, there is no red “An error occurred” box – just nothing appears on desktop.

The grandkids' 7” tablets sometimes come up with a “USB-mass-storage connected” message when first plugged into the computer's USB socket, but nothing eventuates beyond this. The Androids all light up when first plugged in to the desktop, but their usb-device connection message seems to occur when their batteries are fully charged, otherwise the Android starts to charge via the USB. Can it do both (charge & connect, if mtpdevice works)?

I find in PupSysInfo under Devices > USB, the particular Android is listed with the driver being 'usb-storage', but mtpdevice won't mount the Android because there is nothing in the /sys/bus/usb/devices/ directories (according to the terminal output) nor is there anything in /mnt/MTPdevice.

I wonder if there is something being left running from a first successful mount that stops future mounts of devices or is something deleted to prevent a new mounting of any Android?

Could another .pet be interfering with mtpdevice? (Haven't tried with a basic, new Pup with no other .pet additions by me.)

And can I have more than one Android connected at the same time?

Very puzzling.

David S.
don570

PostPosted: Tue 28 Oct 2014, 19:31    Post subject:  

Quote:

The grandkids' 7” tablets sometimes come up with a “USB-mass-storage connected” message when first plugged into the computer's USB socket, but nothing eventuates beyond this. The Androids all light up when first plugged in to the desktop, but their usb-device connection message seems to occur when their batteries are fully charged, otherwise the Android starts to charge via the USB. Can it do both (charge & connect, if mtpdevice works)?

I have a cheap Android 4.0.4 tablet and I've had no problems using
my cable . It needs to be a special cable to tranfer files. Are you sure your cable is for transferring files? Will it work in Windows?

I wrote about this HERE

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Filesystem
Jump to: