Fatdog64-700 beta2 [Closed]

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Ted Dog

#16 Post by Ted Dog »

First time booting 700b2 via DVD with a win8.1 machine, yah! nice work. Seemed fast for DVD, not as fast as BluRay but not an option for this box. Now to test multisession.... be right back, I hope. :lol:

Ted Dog

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

Yep did fine for the lite multisession, did throw an error, but session saved ok it seems. its 2am off to bed

DC

Graphics

#18 Post by DC »

Hi Kirk,
Please find attached files as requested these were from a cd boot session.

Also the reason I think its a resolution problem is my monitor pops up an annoying window telling me what the resolution is every time it changes. But its only showing 1680x1050 as a change.

thanks

dc
Attachments
fd_X_logs.zip
(15.14 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
a little bit of knowledge and I'm dangerous

James C

#19 Post by James C »

I upgraded one install and did one fresh install.... no problems to speak of. I'll post some hardware info next time I boot one of those boxes.

Looks pretty good.

kirk

#20 Post by kirk »

DC, nothing really strange there, it does look like it probed the monitor a couple times. Are you sure your dvi cable is connected well? Maybe a xorg.conf made with the xorgwizard would stop the probing. Sorry I can't help more.

JustGreg

#21 Post by JustGreg »

I am trying to get angry ip scanner, which is a Java package. I have found the rpm ( ipscan-3.3.2-1.x86_64.rpm) and deb ( ipscan_3.3.2_amd64.deb) packages for it. The packages should contain a single Java jar file.

There was a command line utility for rpm call unrpm. However, it is not included in the 700beta 2. I did "right click" on the rpm package. There was a menu entry to Open the archive with PupZip. Pupzip fails to unpack the package.

With the deb package, a right click provides no unpacking option.

I managed to unpack the deb package. It requires two unpacking processes. I first expanded the package by using pupzip from a terminal window. It expanded into 3 files, debian binary, data.tar.xz, and control.tar.gz. A right click on data.tar.xz brought a menu to install, view or expand. I tried the expand, and it worked correctly. Now to see if it works.

Yes, the jar file worked correctly. So, the problem is solved for me.
There may still be an issue for rpm. Any suggestions, I will be happy to try them out.
Last edited by JustGreg on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 01:35, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

smokey01

#22 Post by smokey01 »

A couple of issues.

1. cpio is the busybox version. I thought this was changed in previous versions to the full cpio. This creates problems for people using gfxmenu when creating image files.

2. I'm not sure what has changed in the default graphics but it now eats dialog windows in particular when moving the windows near wbar.

See attached.
Attachments
eraser-behaviour.jpg
Notice the top of the window missing
(24.55 KiB) Downloaded 1147 times

Wognath

peasypdf

#23 Post by Wognath »

Here are some small issues I stumbled on.
Peasypdf as provided did not work for me (no output)
After installing peasypdf-3.0.noarch-1.txz and ghostscript-9.10-x86_64-1.txz from the repo, peasypdf joins pdf's ok, but when used to convert jpeg to pdf, the output pdf file is blank.
Finally, when attempting to install ghostscript from package manager, the download failed for "MD5 checksum mismatch". I had seen this before with some other packages, don't remember which...
I don't need a reply; I have worked through it (Irfanview and pdftk in Windows :shock: :oops:), so I'm just reporting it in case it's useful. Overall, FD700 is great. Thanks.

EDIT: Took a look at peasypdf and saw it uses things from netpbm. After installing libnetpbm and netpbm debs, peasypdf works just fine. (pnmtojpeg etc. are missing in FD700b2, but were in b1)
another edit: got the debs because I wasn't able to install netpbm-advanced package from repo: MD5 mismatch again. However, if I download from distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog and then install, it installs and peasypdf works.
Last edited by Wognath on Wed 29 Oct 2014, 21:53, edited 3 times in total.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-700 beta2

#24 Post by Billtoo »

I moved my sdhc card to my Gateway desktop, downloaded and compiled
the proprietary nvidia driver.

Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16417MB (457MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [700b2]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue Oct 28 22:43:34 2014
Display
Resolution 3840x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Input Devices
Power Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
PC Speaker
Printers
No printers found
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.104
Direct Rendering Y_es

No problems so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(24.75 KiB) Downloaded 1107 times

Ted Dog

#25 Post by Ted Dog »

Multisession and use of same DVD on two different boxes no failures so far. Even used the Archive folder, nice/ more people should be made aware that you have both types of multisessions. Autoreloading and save only Archive. I do wish the Archive could be 'forced' early and NOT only at shutdown. But minor should be very little needed for me to lift code and reuse. Some merging with pBurn methods would also be nice.
Kudos to FatDog devs, my moms Win8.1 toy has perfect SuperHD playback without needed changes or manufacturer blobs compiled to match kernel. I am super jealous may actually get me one of these. :D

kirk

#26 Post by kirk »

There was a command line utility for rpm call unrpm. However, it is not included in the 700beta 2. I did "right click" on the rpm package. There was a menu entry to Open the archive with PupZip. Pupzip fails to unpack the package.
The undeb script is included. It requires dpkg from the repo. If you run the undeb script without dpkg installed it will ask you to install dpkg.
1. cpio is the busybox version. I thought this was changed in previous versions to the full cpio. This creates problems for people using gfxmenu when creating image files.
bsdcpio is included, not sure if that wil work for you.
2. I'm not sure what has changed in the default graphics but it now eats dialog windows in particular when moving the windows near wbar.
Quite a bit has changed, new Xorg-server, Mesa, plus more. Haven't had any problems with dialog windows being messed up. I don't use wbar, maybe it needs to be recompiled.
edit: got the debs because I wasn't able to install netpbm-advanced package from repo: MD5 mismatch again.
That means the download was corrupted.

Thanks guys for testing it out.

James C

#27 Post by James C »

Quick live test of b2......working internet,incorrect 1024x768 resolution (should be 1920x1080). Did boot and is working though.
The Nouveau driver is pretty crappy sometimes. :)

Code: Select all

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory		: 8077MB (438MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Fatdog64 [700b2]
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed Oct 29 23:03:30 2014
-Display-
Resolution		: 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

VGA compatible controller		: NVIDIA Corporation Device 1381 (rev a2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller]) GTX-750

James C

#28 Post by James C »

Just for comparison purposes....Tahrpup 6.0 running live.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: tahrpup, version 6.0

Chip description:
VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM107 [GeForce GTX 750] (rev a2)

Requested by /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
  Resolution (widthxheight, in pixels): 1024x768x16
  Depth (bits, or planes):              24
  Modules requested to be loaded:       dbe 

Probing Xorg startup log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
  Driver loaded (and currently in use): nouveau
  Loaded modules: dbe ddc extmod fb glx int10 kbd mouse shadow vbe vesa

Actual rendering on monitor:
  Resolution:  1920x1080 pixels (508x286 millimeters)
  Depth:       24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video

# glxgears
2764 frames in 5.0 seconds = 552.681 FPS
3125 frames in 5.0 seconds = 624.916 FPS
3126 frames in 5.0 seconds = 625.040 FPS
3233 frames in 5.0 seconds = 646.542 FPS
3234 frames in 5.0 seconds = 646.753 FPS
3211 frames in 5.0 seconds = 642.084 FPS

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory		: 8209MB (270MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: tahrpup - 6.0
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Wed 29 Oct 2014 11:36:38 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 128 bits)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter		: PC-Speaker - pcsp
-Input Devices-
 Power Button
 Power Button
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA KINGSTON SV300S3
ATA WDC WD10EZEX-08M
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB
No problem with UEFI either.

Attempted every possible Fatdog video driver...the best I could achieve was 1024x768.Anything higher and X would refuse to start.

JustGreg

#29 Post by JustGreg »

Thank you, Kirk for the information. I got the dpkg package. One needs to update the package information first for the latest list of packages. Tried it and everything worked.
Enjoy life, Just Greg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

Fabio T

wvdial bug

#30 Post by Fabio T »

There is a wvdial bug that is present in fatdog700 (all test versions).

This is present also in slacko64, but not in Tahr Pup

When I try to connect my laptop with Vodafone network using wvdial or FatDog dialer, I obtain this error message:

8<--------------------------------------------------

--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.61
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATI
Manufacturer: Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Model: ME906E
Revision: 11.234.44.08.00
IMEI: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
+GCAP: +CGSM
OK
--> Sending: AT
OK
--> Sending: AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.omnitel.t"
OK
--> Modem initialized.
wvdial: utils/wvtask.cc:409: static void WvTaskMan::_stackmaster(): Assertion `magic_number == -0x123678' failed.

8<-------------------------------------------------------------------

This is randomly present in other Puppies, but I don't know if is kernel related.
Another caveat: I can't connect with Network Wizard (net-setup.sh), PC refuses connection.

In FatDog64 (6.31 version) I can connect my PC using net-wizard.sh script (that doesn't exists in 700).

With this problems i can't test adequately FatDog700 with no Internet connection.

FatDog630 works flawlessly in both situation (3g and wifi internet connection)

Thank in advance for suggestion.

Fabio.
Last edited by Fabio T on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 22:27, edited 2 times in total.

Wognath

Sandbox question

#31 Post by Wognath »

Hello,
Sandbox is really cool--hadn't looked at it much before. Now I'd like to write a script to fire up libreoffice in a sandbox. Is there a way to pass an argument so libreoffice is automatically executed in the sandbox after it starts?
Thanks

Edit: modified line 222 of rw-sandbox.sh as follows:

chroot $FAKEROOT $2
I'm not that comfortable messing with James's scripts! :? but
# rw-sandbox.sh /path/libreoffice libreoffice
now seems to work.

TJK

#32 Post by TJK »

Fatdog64 700b2 is working again for me! FD seems to be well on its way to being the best puppylinux based distro (IMO)

Just a questions though... Slap-get is installed by default, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried reinstalling it with Package Manager, but I'm still getting "command not found". Any suggestions on how to get it to work?

BTW, I still had to use Unetbootin to finalize my FD install. Has anyone else been able to use FatDog64 Installer with an external usb3 partitioned SSD (using the bios select to boot)? If so, which "bootloader option" do you use?

Ted Dog

#33 Post by Ted Dog »

My wifi on my Acer one 725-0687 oddly does not work. NEVER had that problem on past FD64s. However liking the clean and quick xwindows. It almost equals the blob drivers in the video cards tested. Very wowed on my minimac and support for hfs+ builtin. can I place the boot files and point grub to them within hfs+?

kirk

#34 Post by kirk »

Just a questions though... Slap-get is installed by default, but I couldn't get it to work. I tried reinstalling it with Package Manager, but I'm still getting "command not found". Any suggestions on how to get it to work?
We intend people to use Gslapt for the package manager. I haven't tried slap-get.
My wifi on my Acer one 725-0687 oddly does not work.
Is this a video problem? With beta1 there was a report of video problems with an Aspire one. That one had an odd ball Intel graphics chip that's not supported by the xf86-video-intel driver.
can I place the boot files and point grub to them within hfs+?
Last I read hfs+ support was not good in Linux. I wouldn't do it.

Ted Dog

#35 Post by Ted Dog »

my Acer wifi worked this morning, then a kernel panic.. not sure if related. (did swap memory with MacMini so reset card after panic) still testing. Maybe a delay in scan, I pressed it twice THEN it found my wifi )
This machine Acer is AMD-C70 with builtin video. Never can get it to playback nicely unless runnning win8. But the MacMini with NVedia running great. (CPU at 60%) without NV blob just fresh FD7b2, nice, also can max out at 32G RAM and compatible with RAM from ACER laptop.
Found a bluray drive for MacMini.... :wink: you know where I am heading, found out how to boot DIRECTLY into GRUB ... Ha Ha, OSX may never see life again. :lol:

EDIT: early morning after time change.. sorry for typos :oops:

double EDIT: yes HFS+ is iffy and comes up read only, ( ok by me ) I was going to have OSX copy sfs to a folder for me. And use the tiny 200M EFI part to hold grub.cfg and multisessions. freeing up flash and DVD from the boot process.