Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 07:40
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
DRM fix pet for tv streaming sites using DRM
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
peebee

PostPosted: Wed 22 Oct 2014, 12:45    Post subject:  DRM fix pet for tv streaming sites using DRM  

Variable results - see below

Some tv catchup / viewing websites fail to work on Linux because of DRM (Digital Rights Management) issues.

The attached pet is a fix for systems without Hal (Hardware Abstraction Level) to fool Flashplayer into thinking that Hal is present.

Tested to work in the UK to watch Channel 4's 4OD (4 On Demand) service using Firefox + Flashplayer (11.2.202.425) on Slacko6Beta2. (Amazon Prime Instant Video may similarly be fixed).

Does not work for PepperFlash + Chromium. Crying or Very sad

If it works for you (or doesn't) post a report.

Cheers
PeeBee
hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet 
Filesize  16.6 KB 
Downloaded  82 Time(s) 

Last edited by peebee on Thu 18 Dec 2014, 05:01; edited 2 times in total
666philb

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:54    Post subject:  

working here on 4od

thanks

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:24    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
working here on 4od

thanks

hi 666philb

When you say "working" - does it still work after you have closed down the browser and done a reboot??

It works just the first time for me and then I get drm 3321 errors on subsequent tries.

Can you detail which combination of puppy version, browser type & version and flashplayer version you are using.

Many thanks
peebee

666philb

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 12:53    Post subject:  

hi peebee,

yes it's working after a reboot on tahrpup-5.8.4, palemoon and latest flash.
live streaming isn't working for me, i get a message saying i haven't got enough bandwidth which isn't true. but all other stuff works ..... adblock even works again on it Smile

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 23 Oct 2014, 16:46    Post subject:  

666philb wrote:
hi peebee,

yes it's working after a reboot on tahrpup-5.8.4, palemoon and latest flash.
live streaming isn't working for me, i get a message saying i haven't got enough bandwidth which isn't true. but all other stuff works ..... adblock even works again on it Smile

Thanks 66philb

I'm somewhat flummoxed.....(technical term)

You're right, on both TahrPup5.8.4 and Slacko5.9.3 the 4od catchup service works OK.

For some reason (TBD) on LxPup or LxPupTahr14.10 it doesn't work after a reboot.

Live Channel 4 works on my laptop but gives the "Not enough bandwidth" error message on my desktop....

ozsouth

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2014, 07:31    Post subject: Works in Slacko  

Peebee, you're a genius. I spent days trying all sorts of 'fixes', but this is it. Works in Slacko 5.7.0 with Firefox 31.2.0 esr, with all Melbourne (Australia) TV catchup stations.
peebee

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2014, 08:27    Post subject: Re: Works in Slacko  

ozsouth wrote:
Peebee, you're a genius. I spent days trying all sorts of 'fixes', but this is it. Works in Slacko 5.7.0 with Firefox 31.2.0 esr, with all Melbourne (Australia) TV catchup stations.

"Chris Horler" is the genius - I just found it and puppyfied it.... Embarassed

bark_bark_bark

PostPosted: Sun 09 Nov 2014, 09:18    Post subject: Re: Works in Slacko  

peebee wrote:
"Chris Horler" is the genius - I just found it and puppyfied it.... Embarassed

Tomorrow's headline: FACT (Fascists Against Current Technology) removes another FOSS project from Github.

greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 14:17    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
When you say "working" - does it still work after you have closed down the browser and done a reboot??

It works just the first time for me and then I get drm 3321 errors on subsequent tries.
Semme highlighted a possibility worth considering here. Don't know yet if it does much but worth a look.
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec 2014, 16:13    Post subject:  

Hi peebee, thanks for the HAL pet. It has definitely made a difference for me in trying to display videos from the TVNZ-on-Demand website. I still can't view all of the content there, but I can now watch lots of programmes that were locked out before.

I am using a Slacko 5.6 derivative, and as well as your HAL pet (followed by a restart of X) I am also using watchdogs Firefox 26 pet from here and OscraTalks FlashPlayer 11 11.2.202.424-i386 .pet from here

EDIT : Turns out I didnt need to update the Firefox - it runs just as well with the Firefox 17.0.8-esr that comes with Slacko 5.6. Just seems to need the HAL pet and the Flash pet. It does give me an error message telling me the flash version is outdated but lets me click on "activate this flash plugin" and then works well. So far it does allow me to view all of the videos that I couldn't display before - I don't know if there are still some others that will fail to display but time will tell...
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 16 Dec 2014, 14:48    Post subject:  

NOTE : Just want to mention one more thing which affects testing/troubleshooting: on my system the video will only be displayed the second time you run the browser. The first time you run the browser you only get the black box, but after shutting down the browser then opening it and accessing the video again it displays ok (after 30 seconds delay...)

This made troubleshooting a bit confusing.

I now seem able to watch all videos on the TVNZ website. I think it was the 'second run' bug that made me think some were still locked out before...

EDIT : It seems I can simply click the "refresh page" icon in the browser instead of shutting it down then restarting it. Much easier.

My test system is: Slacko 5.6 (including the standard Firefox 17.0.8-esr that comes with it), HAL pet and FlashPlayer 11.2.202.424-i386 referred to above.
greengeek

PostPosted: Thu 18 Dec 2014, 03:50    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
It does give me an error message telling me the flash version is outdated but lets me click on "activate this flash plugin" and then works well. ..
If anyone else is getting the error messages about outdated flash version this can be permanently eliminated by doing the following:
Use geany to create a text file called "user.js"
In this file put the following lines:

// Don't remember about valid flash versions
user_pref("extensions.blocklist.enabled", false);

Save this file in /root/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxdefault (the xxxxx is unique to each user)

NOTE: the // lines act the same way as # in bash code - it demarcates a comment line that is not treated as code. If you want to know more about creating a user.js file to define specific configuration settings that you want saved in the firefox profile see here
greengeek

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 06:08    Post subject:  

I have made a Slacko 5.6 derivative that uses peebees HAL pet and OscarTalks Flash pet to allow me to view drm videos on the TVNZ website. I'm hoping it will also work for other "on demand" delayed TV sites too.

thread and download link here

Thanks PeeBee!
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: