How to use Asus RT-AC66U wireless modem in Slacko 571?

Booting, installing, newbie
BalerGuy

How to use Asus RT-AC66U wireless modem in Slacko 571?

#1 Post by BalerGuy »

Slacko 5.7.0 and Acer Aspire One, 2 gig, Atom N270 currently running Mint 17. Unable to get through the configuration for Network/IT. I've looked at the list of drivers but don't see any with 802.11ac or Broadcom mfg which I think might do the job. Plus I've tried the "auto" function many many times to no avail.

Do you know what "chipset" is used in this modem?

I like the looks of this Pup and hope you have some ideas for me?

TIA

Carl
Last edited by BalerGuy on Sun 19 Oct 2014, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#2 Post by starhawk »

RT-AC66U is the model number of your router, not a wireless card. Please do a couple things for us so that we can help you further.

These are to be done within Puppy, not Mint.

First, open up the Puppy Menu. You should see, under the System submenu, an entry for HardInfo. Please run that program, and copy/paste here the info it gives under "Summary". This will tell us what specs your computer has.

Next, please open a Terminal (Console) window, and type the following, exactly as it is, ending with a press of the [ENTER] key --

Code: Select all

lspci
Please post the output it produces. Highlight, right-click-copy, go over to the window where your post is, and right-click-paste.

Last, one second command in Terminal. Same as before, exactly what you see then the [ENTER] key.

Code: Select all

lsusb
Post the output of that command as well.

Note that in both Terminal commands the first character is a lowercase "ell" and not an uppercase "eye" ;)

Once we have the output from all three, we can provide some significant constructive assistance.

BalerGuy

#3 Post by BalerGuy »

starhawk,

Thanks for getting back to me. Since I can't get the modem wifi to internet via the Aspire One I'm unable to clip and upload those 3 items you asked for.

I downloaded 5.7.1 Precise Pup and got further but possibly the "blocked wifi syndrome" stopped my progress there as well. That "blocked" issue is over a year old and possibly is already fixed although I couldn't find '/etc/rc.d/rc.local' to add the corrective fix. That may have been a fix posted by "John"? Am I headed in the right direction? I've seen enough pink "eth0" and "wlan" down (just can't get past it). Both of these OS (I think) have the right drivers and I've tried various dhcp and static ips including dhcp with manual ips............ can't get very far although "precise" was almost good. Balky menu(s) and mini crashes plus being curbed by the miserable 30 sec clock. I'm going to eliminate the wifi and narrow the variables some (next).

What about a possible "package fix" from the repository? Ubuntu possibly for a fix? My Mint 13 and 17 worked right out of the box in this regard.

In either of these OS the Frisbee #2 menu seems to semi work but the 3rd is nearly useless.

TIA

starhawk

#4 Post by starhawk »

Hmmm... without system specs at the very least, we're kind of in "shot in the dark" territory.

To be fair, you could use a screenshot utility (I've not seen a Pup yet without one somewhere) to capture the HardInfo bit, and you could paste the text from lsusb / lspci into Geany or another text editor, save it as a *.txt, and carry the lot to your 'Net-enabled system by way of flash drive... clumsy method but it works. ("Sneakernet" is the term, it's been around since the days of bendable floppy disks :P )

If you're a Windows refugee (sort of like me, I've been free of that mess for... geez... six months or so now, it's been... kinda crept up on me) I'd go with X-Slacko 2.2. JWM has some weird keybindings (keyboard shortcuts) such as using CTRL+X for delete. I'm on X-Slacko 2.1 right as I type this, and I *love* it! (I keep meaning to upgrade but I haven't gotten around to it yet. This is far more OK in Puppy-land than it is in the Windows world.)

Here, have a link --> http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=88846

bigpup

#5 Post by bigpup »

This could be your problem.

I have noticed a post or 2 about the firmware not being unpacked from the:

/lib/modules/all-firmware

to:

/lib/firmware.

Using Rox file manager.

In /lib/modules/all-firmware

Look for the name that will match your device.
Just unpack it.

Place it into /lib/firmware

Just so we have some idea of what you are seeing.
Follow this guide.

Illustrated Guide to setting up a network connection in Lupu 520+
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65346

If you get to a step that does not work.
Details.
What step?
You did what?
You see what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

BalerGuy

#6 Post by BalerGuy »

starhawk
bigpup

SOLVED!

I plugged into the modem direct eliminating the wifi and was immediately connected "eth0" lan all working...... switched to "wlan0" and was immediately connected! So the drivers were good as I thought but really have no explanation but "what tha"!

written and sent on the Aspire One with "Precise Pup" 5.7.1 :)