Firefox providing some good changes and ideas, of late.

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
gcmartin

Firefox providing some good changes and ideas, of late.

#1 Post by gcmartin »

This thread may belong in the Security section, BUT I post here as it has shown up on my Firefox (FF) upgrade done today on the "pre-August 17th version of EmSeeV2.2".

Today, this system's FF upgraded to V31.0. When it reopened, I had a screen offering a secure password vault. I have never used a vault before as my memory was pretty good for my userID info. But, as have my friends (the forgetful ones) have become, its only a matter of time (short time, I might add) that I,too, will catch the dreaded affliction.
Now, I remember this product's positive reviews from its past so I cautiously investigated it. Lo and behold, look what was found which "kinda" supports why is seen as a tickler on FF's reopening on the desktop where it appears to be offering for us to use "LastPass".

There is another product that I have had others recommend as well in the past. Namely, "RoboForm". It, too, offers a vault and a FF extension as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions/otherwise you have on the use of products which secure Vault personal information for our recalling, please share you experiences...Please.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

I have used for years....
Acerose Password Vault v1.02
It's a Windows program, that I use in Puppy->WINE [or in Windows].
Can be used as a PORTABLE program or installed.
I use it portable.
Held on a Flash Drive.
Only connect it when needed.

I have ENORMOUS amounts of info stored in there.
No way I could remember all of that stuff.
I copy&paste the info, so it's NEVER wrong...
e.g. URL to my banking website, so I cannot be re-directed to a fake banksite.
My bank changed their webpage address once; I phoned them to check it was correct, I think they refused to give out any info, but it was correct.
I've used that address since.
Username & password are guaranteed to be correct.
It includes a password generator.
You can specify the kind and number of characters to be included.
It makes auto-backups of the vault file so you don't lose the info. [SAFE]
You can manually backup at a moment of your choosing.
You MUST remember only your username and password to gain entry [the contents are encrypted methinks]. [SECURE]
It's good to use a looong [and complex] password that's easy for you to remember.

slavvo67

#3 Post by slavvo67 »

The security in Firefox worries me a bit. Sorry, it's a general comment but recently my daughter's PC (with Firefox) had a redirect virus. This happened to me with Firefox a few years back, as well. Firefox has never been my browser of choice but I am concerned about its vulnerabilities. To be fair, I've seen it in Chrome once, as well.

I'll still use if from time to time but I'm real careful about it.

Getting back on topic, personally, the thought of anyone saving their passwords on a browser scares me to death! It just doesn't seem prudent to me no matter how safe they claim to be.