Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 23 Oct 2014, 02:13
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
shutdown problem thinkpad precise
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
dae

PostPosted: Wed 24 Sep 2014, 23:36    Post subject:  shutdown problem thinkpad precise  

Hello,

I am new here but have been experimenting with various versions of Linux for almost a year now, Puppy included. I have been slowly learning the ins and outs of Linux and command line but would probably still be considered new in most ways. Just enough knowledge to be dangerous but I haven't killed anything, yet.

I have done a full install of Retro Precise 5.7.1 on an IBM Thinkpad T42 (type 2373-K9U).

Everything works great (have not tried anything with the bluetooth so far). However, on shutdown or reboot I get a flash of info (full screen, white text on black background) and then it says precise puppy is shutting down...
with flashing cursor, which freezes after a few flashes. Then it stays there. I have been holding the power button until power off.

Everything I do is saved and it boots up ok...I used Legacy GRUB Config 2013, set it for full install and the non-advanced set up. At startup I get a white text, black background boot up message about loading things for a moment and then it starts up the puppy bootup sequence.

I can't remember the details at startup right now. It is just up there for a moment.

Menu-System-HardInfo says:

Prossesor: Intel Pentium M 1.7 GHz

Family, model, stepping: 6, 13, 6 (pentium III/pentium III Xeon/ Celeron/Core Duo/ Core Duo 2)

Thank you for any help
Peterm321

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep 2014, 00:08    Post subject:  

Search the forums for the words "puppy shutdown problems" and so on. (There are quite a few threads on the topic).

In broad terms, Puppy Linux runs a variety of scripts to setup the system and run Xorg. The script that starts Xorg waits at the system console and by default setup Puppy will try to tidy up when Xorg is closed down before rebooting/poweroff.

If you are running a frugal install and have a save file that is one of the things that Puppy might try to tidy up and sometimes problems are reported from this process.

If the shutdown is causing you grief and you want a fast workaround to avoid pushing the powerbutton you may try typing at the command prompt:

Code:

/bin/busybox reboot   -f

or

/bin/busybox poweroff   -f

There are some scripts that carry out the same function more or less called wmpoweroff and wmreboot though the busybox command line option works for me.

BTW in this kind of problem it might be helpful to advise whether you have a frugal or full install and whether you are using a savefile.
dae

PostPosted: Thu 25 Sep 2014, 18:57    Post subject:  

It is a full install and has a save file.

I tried that reboot command and it freaked everyone out as an improper shutdown.

It does not seem to mind at all if I choose shutdown and then have to hit the power button. I don't mind pushing it, I was kind of wondering if I was doing "damage" in a sense of improperly shutting down but it does not seem that way judging by the response of the above command.

Perhaps I should just leave it be.
Peterm321

PostPosted: Sun 28 Sep 2014, 19:02    Post subject:  

By default setup, there is a file created in the root directory which flags up that the system was not shutdown properly by reason of the /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown script not deleting this file. The reboot by busybox does not necessarily mean the filesystem has been corrupted rather it means that the shutdown script was not completed. e2fsck would reveal if the filesystem was corrupted. I hope that at the time you push the power button an attempt to sync was already made so the filesystem should be OK if that case.

See this code in /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

Code:

if [ -f /fsckme.flg ];then
 if [ -f /tmp/dmesg_e2fsck_warnings1 ];then #120717 rc.sysinit creates this file for full installation.
  if [ "`grep -G "(${PDEV1})" /tmp/dmesg_e2fsck_warnings1`" = "" ];then
   rm -f /fsckme.flg
  else
   echo -n 'MAXIMAL' >> /fsckme.flg #read by /sbin/initNEW
  fi
 else
  rm -f /fsckme.flg
 fi
fi

If you have a full install then you are fortunate enough to be able to edit these scripts fairly easily. Now that you mention it I am on a frugal install with Upup-Raring because the full install was creating the kinds of issues you mention. I ended up with a frugal install but I remastered the puppy-raring sfs to make it behave more like a full install (eg no messing with savefiles).
vtpup

PostPosted: Tue 30 Sep 2014, 14:16    Post subject:  

Try acpi=force in the grub menu.lst kernel boot line

Acer Iconia A1-830 x86 tablet -- Puppy some day?
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: