Trusty Tahr-rc2 EmSee CE - 11 October 2014

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stemsee

Trusty Tahr-rc2 EmSee CE - 11 October 2014

#1 Post by stemsee »

Built from Woof-CE-testing, kernel 3.16.5-EmSeeV3 32bit non pae.
There is one insignificant bug, when opening palemoon browser, an error message about dbus daemon, I tried to solve it but couldn't. That doesn't affect the great user experience with this distro.

Wether or not this will be the base for EmSeeV3 depends on my woof-ce Utopic build, final outcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing
Attachments
capture15144.jpg
(25.57 KiB) Downloaded 1649 times
Last edited by stemsee on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Download proceeding.

Edit:
Downloaded in less than 1.5 minutes. Google is still fastest on the planet.

Question: Can someone share what is the "Puppy prescribed" way to update Palemoon when newer fixes occur?

Thanks

stemsee

#3 Post by stemsee »

gcmartin wrote: Question: Can someone share what is the "Puppy prescribed" way to update Palemoon when newer fixes occur?s
a delta perhaps.

oui

#4 Post by oui »

Hi Stemsee

The ISO is heavy and I thing it is an error to integrate some browser as the puppy world is now really partaged which browser has to be the best now and in the future (fans of Seamonkey or Opera loose her email administration if they change)!

stemsee

#5 Post by stemsee »

@oui

Yes at 249mb the iso is 'heavy', I will strip it down and apply stronger compression.

So, you prefer this puppy to come with NO browser at all? With QuickPet that is a reasonable possibility, I guess ... but for new users that might be less easy.

gcmartin

#6 Post by gcmartin »

stemsee wrote:... but for new users that might be less easy.
+1. Any would be better than none. Author's choice.

Functionality and performance is good as these are some of the most important features.

Needs SAMBA (10MB) to make LAN integration simple. Repo approach has always been much too confusing for users needing simple content sharing.

I offer this as an idea that "many/most users are OOTB users coming into Puppyland". They want functionality!
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 11 Oct 2014, 23:18, edited 3 times in total.

slavvo67

#7 Post by slavvo67 »

As the subject came up, I've wondered why Palemoon? Is it a size/ functionality thing?

Edit: I agree with GCMartin, that you need to package at least one browser.

Best,

Slavvo67

stemsee

#8 Post by stemsee »

@slavvo67

Palemoon was simply the default in DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS in woof-ce.I didn't edit that file at all. I simply furnished rootfs-skeleton with a few customisations. It was just an experiment to see how it would build.

I have no intention of NOT supplying a browser. I think that is a 'ridiculous' suggestion/request/observation. I also have no intention of supplying every browser ... although EmSeeV3 wants to leave nothing to the imagination :wink:

peebee

#9 Post by peebee »

Hi stemsee

Thanks for this new puppy/kernel combo....

Tried it on my desktop - it failed to detect my wireless keyboard and mouse so it was unfortunately DOA for me.....press of power switch required.

from LxPup14.03:
-Input Devices-
Logitech USB Receiver
Logitech USB Receiver
[ 2.099634] usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=046d, idProduct=c517
[ 2.099637] usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 2.099639] usb 2-2: Product: USB Receiver
[ 2.099640] usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Logitech
[ 2.109770] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/input/input0
[ 2.109783] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0001: input: USB HID v1.10 Keyboard [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:02.0-2/input0
[ 2.119598] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0002: fixing up Logitech keyboard report descriptor
[ 2.120029] input: Logitech USB Receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.1/input/input1
[ 2.120112] logitech 0003:046D:C517.0002: input,hiddev0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech USB Receiver] on usb-0000:00:02.0-2/input1
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

#10 Post by stemsee »

hi peebee

do you mean it is a kernel/modules deficiency? Or maybe hal?

peebee

#11 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:hi peebee

do you mean it is a kernel/modules deficiency? Or maybe hal?
Hi stemsee

Don't know I'm afraid - and as I can't talk to the booted system I can't get any diagnostic info for you.

It's not a kernel problem though - I've dropped your kernel into both LxPup14.09 (i.e. Slacko6) and into TahrPup5.8.3.rc1 and in both cases the wireless keyboard and mouse work as expected.

Tried a usb wired keyboard.....also didn't work...

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

#12 Post by peebee »

Some more feedback - after testing on my HP550 laptop....

Broadcom b43 firmware as present in most/all? puppies seems to be missing - copied it across from another pup into /lib/firmware and then my wifi worked.

No problems with keyboard/touchpad on the laptop.

Cheers
peebee

davids45

No Partition for a Save file?

#13 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Did a manual install for a Frugal to an empty emseetahrpup subdirectory on my Frugals Partition (sda7) which boots up OK, but when I attempted to make a save-file during first shut-down, it reports no suitable partition for a save file (red box) and then shuts down. Happened twice.

sda7 is 49GB with 14% free space. There are two hard drives (14 partitions on each) with a good proportion of free space on most partitions.

Haven't seen this with any other CE Pup.

Also have no right-click menu to speak of - is this intended?

Have not checked iso download yet.

David S.

stemsee

#14 Post by stemsee »

OK ... Time to 'fes up. After creating the new tahr build, I spent some time trying to get connected to wlan, turns out it was ssl. However I did create some links and stuff and installed uninstalled other stuff .... then on top of that I remastered several times while testing my new sfs-direct-remaster app .... so maybe just maybe (read probably) I didn't reverse everything. Not to worry though as I now know exactly what I should have done, and so expect a fresh pristine iso soon. :lol:

No right click menu! As this is only the base system and not the fully furnished EmSeeV3: I reserve the right to share as is and give the user freedom to install/uninstall what s/he will. Rest assured that EmSeeV3 will have right click menu and more in due course of time, as I am resolved to pillage all useful scripts from others as I find them!! 8)

slavvo67

#15 Post by slavvo67 »

I had an issue with ABI Word 3.0.0 shutting down on me just as I was going to save. This is probably not an issue with your distro but with the constant instability that is "ABI". Still, I felt it was worth mentioning. I respectfully request that you consider dumping ABI in future releases for a more stable Libre or OO.

Best,

Slavvo67

davids45

Wallpaper changes

#16 Post by davids45 »

G'day,

Just another little oddity.

When the initial boot-up settings box pops up for me to set my language, keyboard, time zone, etc, there is the contoured grey background as per the first post pinboard image.

When automatically re-starting X after I put in my details, the MU Puppies wallpaper (as per latest Tahr Pup (5.8.4)) appears with the new X.

David S.

666philb

#17 Post by 666philb »

regarding openssl .. replace the openssl line in DISTRO_PKG_SPECS with this to use the ubuntu version

Code: Select all

yes|openssl0|libssl0.9.8|exe,dev>null,doc,nls| #old version.
yes|openssl|openssl,libssl1.0.0,libssl-dev|exe,dev,doc,nls
also are you using the z_tahrfix package, as that contains loads of accumulated bugfixes for tahr .

the missing righclick menus are related to the new ptheme and will probably take some setting up.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

ally

#18 Post by ally »