Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 30 Sep 2014, 08:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Slacko 5.7 shutdown no response
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
warem

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep 2014, 08:10    Post subject:  Slacko 5.7 shutdown no response  

Dear all,

I did a full install of Puppy 5.7 Slacko to hard drive on IBM R50e (768MB of RAM).

I have used the system for a while and everything is OK. But, 2 days before, I found there was no any response to the button 'reboot', 'shutdown' of Menu->Shutdown (in fact the command logout_gui). No response means when I pushed the button "shutdown", nothing happened. The JWM was there and no any further progress. Then if I pressed "Ctrl+Alt+Backspace", it shutdown. I couldn't remember what I did.

If I boot the system from USB, the "shutdown" function is normal. I have compared the files, e.g., /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown with that in hard-drive install. They are exactly same. I also compared with the file for ALSA model and they are also exactly same. I couldn't find the difference between the frugal install and hard-drive install. It is strange that the system encountered a problem whereas it was normal a while ago.

Therefore, how can I recover the function of shutdown from menu?

Thank you.
warem

PostPosted: Wed 17 Sep 2014, 23:37    Post subject:  

I found where error is. Generally, the content of
Code:
/etc/windowmanager
is changed due to unknown reason (I encountered power failure and I tried to config JWM and restarted X or JWM from time to time. I couldn't tell which action caused the error). The content of the file should be (I assumed the default WM is JWM)
Code:
jwm
, but now it is
Code:
--help
. This is why the shutdown has no response. Followed are the steps how I found the error. It might be helpful to someone.

1. Check ~/.jwmrc to find what Shutdown points to. In my case, the command is logout_gui.
    2. Open a terminal, run the command `logout_gui' and then push the button `shutdown'. You will get the message "Usage pidof [OPTIONS] [NAME]". Sound strange. In fact, it is the output of the usage of command `pidof'.
    3. Command `logout_gui' in fact is a shell script and in /usr/sbin. After reading the shell script, we can find Shutdown is in fact the command `wmpoweroff' and Reboot is in fact the command `wmreboot'. They all are shell scripts.
    4. Add some `echo' commands in wmpoweroff, it finally came to the last two lines.
    Code:
    CURRENTWM="`cat /etc/windowmanager`"
    kill -9 `pidof $CURRENTWM`
    Since the content of /etc/windowmanager is --help, the command is finally to kill -9 `pidof --help`. This is what we see in step 2. If we just push button Shutdown from menu, we can't see the output and we feel it has no response of shutdown.
    5. Change --help to jwm in /etc/windowmanager. All is recovered.
Anyway, I have no idea why the content is changed.
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: