Comcast Declares War on Tor?

For discussions about security.
James C

#1 Post by James C »

http://www.deepdotweb.com/2014/09/13/co ... s-war-tor/

[quote]If you needed another reason to hate Comcast, the most hated company in America, they’ve just given it to you: they’ve declared war on Tor Browser.
Reports have surfaced (Via /r/darknetmarkets and another one submitted to us) that Comcast agents have contacted customers using Tor and instructed them to stop using the browser or risk termination of service. A Comcast agent named Jeremy allegedly called Tor an “illegal service.

Galbi

#2 Post by Galbi »

Thank you for contacting Comcast, have a great day.
Pre-made answers like this that those companies agents have recorded in their brains, made me think about a little technical question:

it´s possible to send high voltage through telephone lines?
:mrgreen:
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Barkin

Re: Comcast Declares War on Tor?

#3 Post by Barkin »

James C wrote:How did Comcast know its customers were using Tor in the first place? Because Tor Browser provides online anonymity to its users, This would mean that Comcast is monitoring the online activities of its users, to (among other things) check if they are following their Acceptable Use Policy.
It's not unusual that your internet provider would know what websites you visit, including Tor , unless you used a proxy.
Your internet provider shouldn't know what webpages you'd accessed via Tor though because it's encrypted by https .

cimarron

#4 Post by cimarron »

Comcast replies:
Setting the Record Straight on Tor
...Comcast is not asking customers to stop using Tor, or any other browser for that matter. We have no policy against Tor, or any other browser or software. Customers are free to use their Xfinity Internet service to visit any website, use any app, and so forth.

Here are the facts:

Comcast doesn’t monitor our customer’s browser software, web surfing or online history.

The anecdotal chat room evidence described in these reports is not accurate.

We respect customer privacy and security and only investigate and disclose certain information about a customer's account with a valid court order or other appropriate legal process, just like other ISPs. More information about these policies can be found in our Transparency Report here.

We do not terminate customers for violating the Copyright Alert System (aka "six strikes"), which is a non-punitive, educational and voluntary copyright program. Read more here.

Our customers can use Tor at any time, as I have myself. I’m sure many of them are using it right now.
That point about the Copyright Alert System was (welcome) news to me. I'm in charge of a network with several families (and their kids) and its hard to prevent all torrent use, which seems to be what gets you in trouble with copyright holders.

bark_bark_bark

#5 Post by bark_bark_bark »

We do not terminate customers for violating the Copyright Alert System (aka "six strikes"), which is a non-punitive, educational and voluntary copyright program.
It's not education if it is all one sided corporate BS, it's propaganda.

Moose On The Loose

#6 Post by Moose On The Loose »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
We do not terminate customers for violating the Copyright Alert System (aka "six strikes"), which is a non-punitive, educational and voluntary copyright program.
A really good reason to be using Tor is the case of women escaping from abusive relationships. They usually have to just give up on the smart phone and abandon all social media and in general go into stealth mode. It is not only their own lives that they are protecting. Using Tor, they can at least google on stuff so they are not reduced to having no modern connections.

bark_bark_bark

#7 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:
A really good reason to be using Tor is the case of women escaping from abusive relationships. They usually have to just give up on the smart phone and abandon all social media and in general go into stealth mode. It is not only their own lives that they are protecting. Using Tor, they can at least google on stuff so they are not reduced to having no modern connections.
Agreed. There are many good reasons for using tor. The gov does smear the name of Tor a lot, making sheeple believe it's only used by criminals and terrorists.

sheeple means:
urbandictionary.com wrote:A individual that forfits their right to choose in favor of inclusion in groupthink and what is viewed as popular or elete group. Allowing the influences of different forms of media and group members to hold great sway in the formation of attitudes, behavoir and opinion.
To accept the group mentaility and opinion as fact without examination.
Not only to be told what to do, but accepting the paradigm of thought as absolute thereby removing the weight of personal responsibility in the making of decisions.

In 2003 American President Bush states that the need to invade Iraq is imperative because it it was a supporter of islamic terrorism and developer of Weapons of Mass Destruction that would threaten the United States.

Although no evidence was given in support of such statements the american sheeple supported the war despite evidence to the contrary.

Moose On The Loose

#8 Post by Moose On The Loose »

bark_bark_bark wrote: Agreed. There are many good reasons for using tor. The gov does smear the name of Tor a lot,
Comcast is not the gov so I would use the term "the powerful" instead. Those in positions of power worry about things that may undermine the power. This includes corporations, churches, government and some others I can't think of right now.

bark_bark_bark

#9 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Moose On The Loose wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote: Agreed. There are many good reasons for using tor. The gov does smear the name of Tor a lot,
Comcast is not the gov so I would use the term "the powerful" instead. Those in positions of power worry about things that may undermine the power. This includes corporations, churches, government and some others I can't think of right now.
I know comcast is not the gov, but I am saying gov does that kinds of stuff.

Burn_IT

#10 Post by Burn_IT »

I think if you look into the history of TOR you will find that the US Government has a lot to do with its development in the first place and I believe still funds parts of it.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

bark_bark_bark

#11 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Burn_IT wrote:I think if you look into the history of TOR you will find that the US Government has a lot to do with its development in the first place and I believe still funds parts of it.
now that's what makes the smearing of Tor from the gov. ironic.

Mr. Hughes

#12 Post by Mr. Hughes »

It makes perfect sense to me, they want TOR for themselves, but don't want the public using it.
[img]http://i60.tinypic.com/2gwf243.jpg[/img]

amigo

#13 Post by amigo »

No, they want you to use it, so they tell you to not use it.