Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 24 Nov 2014, 01:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
What tools for software development in Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
pman1

PostPosted: Fri 12 Sep 2014, 12:47    Post subject:  What tools for software development in Puppy?  

Does Puppy linux support all the same software development tools that I use with Fedora ( the GNU compiler collection ( GCC ) , GUI tool kits ( gtk , qt ) , integrated development environments ( Qt creator ) ). I assume Puppy uses the standard Linux API and that the GUI is based in some way on Xlib ( or some tool kit that uses it ) , so would code I've written on Fedora compile on Puppy? I've only really ever used Fedora/Red Hat , so I'm not sure of any of this ( I know that there are different software packages for different types of Linux so I'm guessing there is some incompatibility between different distributions ).
Moose On The Loose

PostPosted: Sat 13 Sep 2014, 12:46    Post subject: Re: What tools for software development in Puppy?  

pman1 wrote:
Does Puppy linux support all the same software development tools that I use with Fedora ( the GNU compiler collection ( GCC ) , GUI tool kits ( gtk , qt ) , integrated development environments ( Qt creator ) ). I assume Puppy uses the standard Linux API and that the GUI is based in some way on Xlib ( or some tool kit that uses it ) , so would code I've written on Fedora compile on Puppy? I've only really ever used Fedora/Red Hat , so I'm not sure of any of this ( I know that there are different software packages for different types of Linux so I'm guessing there is some incompatibility between different distributions ).

I'm on Puppy 528
I use gcc all the time.
ddd Works but has a bug
freepascal works
iverilog works
disciple

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2014, 05:03    Post subject:  

Linux is linux, pretty much. The main issue is if you want to install binary software that is built for another distro, and the libraries are incompatible.
But if you're building the software - you might find you have to install missing libraries, or newer versions of libraries, and if you build lots of ancient things you might get very stuck with some - but you'll have the same problems on any distro.
Most Puppies only include GTK2, but most puppies these days are also built from another distro's packages (e.g. Debian or Slackware), so it should be easy to install QT4/QT5/GTK3 etc.
Most Puppies also do not include a dev environment - you normally download the "devx" if you want to compile things: http://puppylinux.com/development/compileapps.htm

- - -
Beware the demented serfers!
pman1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Sep 2014, 15:35    Post subject:  

Ok , thanks for the information! I'll have to install puppy and see how everything works once the proper software is installed ( I've been trying it out using a live-cd and its very impressive ). I wish more Linux distributions would emphasize speed and efficiency like puppy does ( the trend in operating systems and software in general is slow bloated code and high hardware requirements to offset poor design and code generation tools ).
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: