SumatraPDF is the best PDF Reader

Word processors, spreadsheets, presentations, translation, etc.
john biles

SumatraPDF is the best PDF Reader

#1 Post by john biles »

Hello Everyone who has got frustrated waiting for PDF Magazines to open under most native Linux PDF Readers including Adobe Reader 9.5.5 making it hard to enjoy reading.
Well after searching for a PDF reader to do the job I came across SumatraPDF which is Windows Based but runs beautifully under wine. As you'll see from the attached image it's mostly open source.

Check it out here: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sum ... eader.html
Attachments
sumatraPDF.png
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 1114 times
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Yes its a fast one and has come a long way since its beginnings.

I believe it can be built natively which would be interesting.
Just lacks a few fancy features related to printing.

I tend to use epdfview (good but has some joke funnies,) foxit... fast, accurate but linux developement has stopped and adobe 8... not as slow as 9 but good for stubborn pdf.

mike

rcrsn51

#3 Post by rcrsn51 »

SumatraPDF is also my favourite Windows viewer. IIRC, it is built on the same codebase as MuPDF, which is my favourite Puppy viewer. You just have to learn its keyboard controls.

nic007

#4 Post by nic007 »

Yes, i also use it. Used to use foxit but SumatraPDF is slicker

john biles

#5 Post by john biles »

Hello rcrsn51,
Thanks for the lead on MuPDF. You're right about it being very basic but once you work it out it is very fast and now my favorite Linux based PDF Reader.

mikeb

#6 Post by mikeb »

muPDF...there were experimental browser plugins some years ago...I believe such float around and my now include linux. It was basic but certainly worked on windows.
Funny I got my head bitten off when I once requested someone might build muPDF for puppy use. :D

Mike

john biles

#7 Post by john biles »

Hello mikeb,
I grabbed the ubuntu precise package as I'm experimenting with Puppy 5.7 and installed it. I navigated to /usr/bin and opened a terminal there. Did ldd ./mupdf and installed 1 missing dependency.
I then right moused clicked in Rox over a pdf file and selected customized menu... and a box opens. I then navigated to /usr/share/applications and found the mupdf.desktop file dragging it in to the Rox box and linking it. I the renamed the link to MuPDF and closed the box. Now when I right mouse click over a pdf, I can open it by selecting MuPDF. Hope this helps.
Attachments
rox.png
(14.29 KiB) Downloaded 566 times

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

MuPDF does not have printer support, but the recent versions of PeasyPDF can handle this pretty well.