"Saving RAM to..." for over an hour and counting [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
Haselrig

"Saving RAM to..." for over an hour and counting [SOLVED]

#1 Post by Haselrig »

Hello all, I'm running precise Puppy 5.7.1 and have a question about "Saving RAM to..." I normally use Chromium as my browser, but today I was having trouble logging into an online game I play, so I decided to try using Firefox. When I loaded FF, I got a message that Firefox had been updated. Didn't think much of it, used Firefox for a while and the normal orange box that says the RAM is being saved to the save file on my USB drive popped up. It's still saving more than an hour later. Far longer than it's ever gone before. I was wondering if this was normal after a browser update, or has something frozen? Any advice would be appreciated.
Last edited by Haselrig on Mon 01 Sep 2014, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Haselrig

#2 Post by Haselrig »

Still going, so I think we can safely come down on the side of frozen. I just need the best way to shut down the computer so I don't corrupt the save file.

solo

#3 Post by solo »

Hate to be the one to brake this to you, but a system freeze while the system is writing the safe-file, will almost certainly make your safe-file unusable.

So, just to be clear, your screen has frozen, and there is nothing you can do anymore, right?!
I mean, you are no longer able to open any other programs or open a terminal, correct?!
Because if you are still able to open programs, you may want to go to your System menu, and open Htop to take a look at which processes your system is running at the moment.

Galbi

#4 Post by Galbi »

I've experienced problems like this, and there were about the browser's cahe filling up the savefile.

It's necesary to tell the browser to put the cache outside the savefile, for example in /mnt/home/cache (you will have to create the folder cache in /mnt/home).

And yes :( perhaps your savefile it's unusuable.

Always have a copy of it as a back up.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

Haselrig

#5 Post by Haselrig »

Just the notification of "Saving RAM to..." was frozen. Everything else was working normally. There was a process that seemed to refer the save. I tried restarting X with no luck. Ended up being a choice between trying to kill the process or shutting down the computer. Ultimately, I did a hard power off by holding the power button until the system shut down. I restarted the computer, inserted the disc as I normally do. It booted with an additional line about the savefile that isn't normally there. System booted normally from there. Nothing seemed different or weird. I hit "Save" to see if the save RAM to would work, it went for a second or two and blinked off as usual. I shut down the system and rebooted it again, it booted normally and seems to be working normally. Just had a "Saving RAM to..." notification and it went off after a few seconds, Maybe I dodged a bullet?

Haselrig

#6 Post by Haselrig »

Galbi, I wouldn't be entirely comfortable adding directories without a step-by-step guide. Linux is definitely a second, or third, language for me :)

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

It's easy, right Galbi? :wink: From the directory you're in, rt-clk an empty area >> "NU" >> directory >> "NAME IT" >> DONE!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Galbi

#8 Post by Galbi »

Right for what we're talking about:

- Open Rox filemanager by clicking the Archive icon in the desktop.

- Click Up til you are in / (that is the root directory)

-Go to /mnt/home

-Right click in an empty place, then New >> Directory >> name it: cache

Now to tell Firefox where to put the cache:

-Launch Firefox and in a new tab type as the address

Code: Select all

about:config
-Accep the advert.

-Right click in an empty place: New >> String and type this

Code: Select all

browser.cache.disk.parent_directory
and the value for the string is: /mnt/home/cache

Restart Firefox and ready.

Note that this is valid for Firefox or derivatives, for other browsers is different, search with Google.
Remember: [b][i]"pecunia pecuniam parere non potest"[/i][/b]

neerajkolte

#9 Post by neerajkolte »

Hello everyone,
When using portable firefox app, like @shinobar's one.
Do we need to do what Galbi suggests or it's not necessary. I mean do portable apps save cache files in it's own directory or in savefile.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

mikeb

#10 Post by mikeb »

Simple answer ...disable the periodic saving in the bootmanager..whatever dialog... Its a pain in the neck and causes these problems with usb installs.

It will still save at shutdown or manually using the icon IF nothing it running.

Mike

Haselrig

#11 Post by Haselrig »

Thanks Galbi, I'll give it a shot o/

mikeb, that's the one under "System", "Puppy Event Manager", "Save Session" right? You set the save interval to zero?

mikeb

#12 Post by mikeb »

Yes thats the one...deleted all that years ago so memory a bit vague.

It used to seize up whenever i used the GIMP

mike

Haselrig

#13 Post by Haselrig »

I might have to go that route. I'm guessing it would lengthen the shutdown time?

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

Does not affect shutdown time...there is no 'real' ram flushing going on ...its just as a backup really.

Mike

Haselrig

#15 Post by Haselrig »

Hmm, I don't see any downside to disabling it then.

Haselrig

#16 Post by Haselrig »

Thanks for the help guys. I think setting it to zero is going to make life at least a little better :) Any way to set this thread to "Solved"?

Semme

#17 Post by Semme »

Use this search engine >> "mark thread solved" :wink:
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

Haselrig

#18 Post by Haselrig »

Too simple a solution. Doesn't feel right at all :P

Semme

#19 Post by Semme »

Oh yeah, that's the engine to use around here.

So it looks like you made out OK with your save time.. Easy enough to have proofed.

What's next on the agenda?

Haselrig

#20 Post by Haselrig »

Hmm. That was really the only issue I've had in a long while. This version of Puppy has been shockingly smooth for me. All of the earlier versions had things that wouldn't work or were a bit flaky on my system. Precise has been a real life saver.

I might poke around and see what I can do with WINE. Always wanted to tackle some Windows stuff on here.