How to create a swap file so Hibernate will work?

Booting, installing, newbie
adam500

#16 Post by adam500 »

From what I've found out, (and others have mentioned) Hibernate shuts off all power completely. I use it all the time with Windows computers.

Suspend powers off most of the computer's power users and supposedly can survive for days off the battery. There must be just a trickle of power being used to keep the ram running.

I'll experiment with the Suspend and see how that works out.

Haven't ruled out making a swap file/partition yet though. There are a few other Hibernate programs to try.

gcmartin

Steps to use GPARTED to setup SWAP partition on a Windows PC

#17 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Adam500

To create partition for SWAP from the diagram you've shown, is easy.

To begin showing these steps, I preface with the usual statement: "I assume NO RESPONSIBILITY for ANY outcome you achieve." and "It is always recommended to have a backup"

OK, understanding this, let's begin using the Picture you present (if you have ANY questions, DON'T HESITATE to ask us here on this thread). In fact, much of what you will be doing is visual in GParted screen.

You ask to resize the /dev/sda2 partition. Since it is currently in use, to do the SWAP partiton will require 3 boots.

1st boot
  • Boot Windows, then immediately Shutdown
    Note:This is important as a boot cleans the filesystem for the next steps.
2nd boot
  1. Boot your Live DVD and AT THE BOOT-SPLASH, hit the F2 key before the 5-second timeout
  2. type ===> puppy pfix=ram
  3. On desktop, start GParted from the Menu to see the screen you show earlier
  4. On the /dev/sda2 line, right-click to select resize
  5. Change the line "Free space following" change from 0 to 3073 (to have a 3GB partition)
  6. Tab to Resize button and click will return you to the main screen
  7. Right-click the new line on the main screen /dev/sda3 to select format
  8. Scroll to SWAP and click and verify to return to the main screen again
  9. Review the picture on the main screen for accuracy.
  10. Meeting your expectation, YOU MUST click the Apply arrow on the toolbar for your changes to be made.
    Note: If this does NOT visually show what you expect merely do not click the Apply button. No changes are ever made until you hit the Apply button...NONE!
  11. Once the changes complete, exit GParted
  12. On desktop, shutdown WITHOUT SAVING
3rd boot
  • Boot any Live/Frugal PUP of your choice. ALL Linuxes and all PUPs, EXCEPT FATDOG6-6xx and 7xx, will acknowledge and use your SWAP partition.
  • If booting your normal PUP, DO NOT stop at Splash screen and do not enter F2
Use at your discretion.

Here to help
Edited: Add Subject to identify post's assistance
Last edited by gcmartin on Fri 29 Aug 2014, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

adam500

#18 Post by adam500 »

Thanks gcmartin.

If I can get my Carolina to recognize my usb wifi adapter I will follow up on this in order to use Hibernate. The 'Sleep Timer' Suspend operation resulted in a terribly abrupt shutdown and an equally scary restore from Suspend.

I'm still searching for the right version of Linux. I thought I'd found it with Carolina 1.2 but I'm having a problem finding a wifi usb adapter that works with it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Drivers for USB wireless adapters are kernel-specific. That is, they won't work at all unless compiled for the exact Linux kernel they'll be used with. Kernels seem to come with many drivers for wireless dongles, but if the kernel is older than the dongle you're trying to use, it probably won't come with the right driver. If you can tell us which kernel otherwise works best for you, and where to download the Linux driver for the USB wireless adapter you want to use, someone will usually be happy to compile the driver for you.

Alternatively, you could try several of the latest Puppy versions, which come with the latest kernels that have drivers for many more USB wireless adapters.

I'd download a likely-looking version of Puppy and burn it to a CD, then boot it in any computer that was available and see if the dongle will work out of the box. If it does, then I'd proceed to trying to use that Puppy, or at least that Linux kernel, in the eeepc.

adam500

#20 Post by adam500 »

Yes Flash.

That's about where I am now.

Focus on the weakest link first, then move on to the next Linux issue.

Right now it is finding a supported USB wifi dongle.

This has been the subject of my other thread in the forum [re: carolina].

Until then, I might try creating a Hibernate partition as described above.

After another full back-up that is. :D

So far I like Carolina 1.2 best of all Puppy's but I admit I haven't tried them all yet. Has there possibly been a newer Carolina iso created that features a newer kernel?

Is there a particular link showing info on the other versions of Puppy. Maybe I shouldn't be so smitten with Carolina.

Moat

#21 Post by Moat »

adam500 wrote: Has there possibly been a newer Carolina iso created that features a newer kernel?
You may want to give battleshooter's kernel 3.15 version a try - http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... l-3.15.iso

Bob

adam500

#22 Post by adam500 »

Moat wrote:You may want to give battleshooter's kernel 3.15 version a try - http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... l-3.15.iso

Bob
Thanks for the link(s).

I'll check those out.