install firmware-linux-nonfree. . .operand?

Booting, installing, newbie
ardvark

#31 Post by ardvark »

Walt52 wrote:I have a disk of Slacko 5.7 no PAE, and I found I needed to right click on the mousepad to enter anything, and it wouldn't shut off without a hard boot. I also tried Wary, which is fine for the old machines. Bottom line: when 528 works, it's hard to beat.

I'm willing to try 5.7.1 Precise. Is that different from Slacko?
Hi...

Precise is a bit different as it is designed with a level of compatibility with Ubuntu and you have access to Canonical's (Ubuntu's) repositories. However, because Puppy is not Debian based, not everything that runs in Ubuntu will work in Puppy. I know from experience. :wink:

While Precise might be worth a try, I'm starting to think the issues you are having are related to your hardware (the laptop itself.) What you have said you are experiencing, not counting getting the wireless adapter to work, are not typical in Puppy at all, at least to my knowledge. :(

Regards...

Walt52

#32 Post by Walt52 »

I made a disk of 5.7.1, and it's working fine. It said Wlan0 was down , but went ahead and connected anyway. (Could my 1501 laptop be psychotic, or possessed, maybe?)

One last question: has anyone heard of a list of laptops with suggested puppy distros? Say, like Asus A1000=Wary, Dell D600=528, Dell 1501=5.7.1, and so on?

ardvark

#33 Post by ardvark »

Walt52 wrote:I made a disk of 5.7.1, and it's working fine. It said Wlan0 was down , but went ahead and connected anyway. (Could my 1501 laptop be psychotic, or possessed, maybe?)

One last question: has anyone heard of a list of laptops with suggested puppy distros? Say, like Asus A1000=Wary, Dell D600=528, Dell 1501=5.7.1, and so on?
Hi...

If you're using Frisbee as your network, that message is normal the first time you connect to your network. You shouldn't see it again, although you will probably see a message indicating the ethernet connection is down.

Regarding your second question, none that I've ever seen. I think it's more of a matter of personal choice and what works best with the hardware. :wink:

Regards...