Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 28 Nov 2014, 14:26
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
LiVES-2.2.5
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 20:57    Post subject:  LiVES-2.2.5
Subject description: Linux Video Editing System

Compiled on Slacko 5.7, included in Studio 13.37 v2.

Requires JACK (and it's dependencies) and preferably python.

Pet

Sfs

Md5sum for sfs

Last edited by l0wt3ch on Mon 11 Aug 2014, 23:29; edited 2 times in total
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 12:30    Post subject: Missing Lib  

Hi l0wt3ch,

Thanks for your continuing work in developing media editors. Downloaded and installed Lives-2,2.5 in Slacko 5.7. It installed but when nothing happened after clicking the menu entry I tried to start it via the terminal. The following was reported:

lves: error while loading shared libraries: libmjpegutils-2.1.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I tried this first with a SaveFile in which included Kdenlive and Openshot among other applications were installed or loaded. Figuring a possible conflict, I rebooted into Slacko 5.7 pfix=ram, installed the pet and received the same missing file warning.
By the way, although your instructions were that Jack is required, pfind in both the populated and virgin versions of Slacko 5.7 indicate it is already present.
Lastly, just a matter of curiosity. When possible I prefer running applications via SFS load rather than pet install. So I attempted to convert the pet to an SFS. Changing the ending "pet" to 'tgz" and attempting to decompress it produced a report that no files were present, despite that "properties" showed it to be 18.5 Mb. Tried this a couple of times with different downloads, and eventually with the pet which actually installed. Not a serious problem. Just strange. Any ideas?
Thanks again. I look forward to getting this working if possible as the reviews suggest it is able to in real time cut out portions from several clips and use such portions to create a vid. Few, if any other, video editors can do that.

mikesLr
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 13:24    Post subject:  

Hi Mike,

Thanks for testing it. I'm away from my computer right now, so I can't look into the dependency issue just yet. As for the pet, maybe try changing it to xz instead of tgz?
RSH

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 15:04    Post subject:  

To extract a .pet without any useful tool to use, one needs to rename the .pet to .tar.gz.

A .pet file is just a .tar.gz file which includes a .tgz(?) file and something like a md5sum File (of the .tgz) and this may be the reason why a .pet renamed to .tar.gz will extract with an error message.

Though it will extract completely.

Note: if the .pet was renamed after its creation, there may be some other issues, like extracting it into two different folders, of which one will have the .pet's original name and the other one will be just "var".

However, the extraction directory will contain all the files included in the .pet file.

l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 16:17    Post subject:  

That used to be always true. (Although tgz and tar.gz are equivalent.) But recent versions have had the ability to use xz instead.

Same routine, except you change the extension to xz.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 17:31    Post subject: Decompressing pets which used xz compression  

Thanks l0wt3ch for the clue. But just changing "pet" to xz didn't work. So the full procedure for decompressing a pet when Archiver doesn't show any files when the ending is changed to tgz or tar.gz is to rename the file end to "tar.xz".

Having done so, libmjpegutils-2.1.so.0 is, in fact, not found in the /usr/lib folder. No version of libmjpegutils is found there, or elsewhere.
Terminal>cd /usr/bin
ldd lives

finds no other missing dependencies.

Possibly of f less importance, an examination of the files and folders revealed that
/usr/local/lib/perl5 and /usr/local/share/perl5 are empty
I didn't examine all folders to see if they had contents.

mikesLr
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 23:30    Post subject:  

Sorry about the confusion. Please try the new package from the first post. (You will have to install JACK and its dependencies.)
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 12:16    Post subject: Lives-2.2.5 is now working  

Hi l0wt3ch & All,

No confusion. I estimate that there's about 750,000 computer hadrdware-software combinations, just counting those of people who might try Puppy Linux. Which is why we have testing. On my system Lives-2,2,5.SFS --thanks for the SFS-- now opens and opens acceptable file types, as to which more below.
My system:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: VT1708B Analog
SB {HDA ATI SB], device 1: VT1708B Digital

running Slacko 5.7 using vicmz's Openbox-Lxpanel comination, and employing a SaveFile in which several multimedia applications, including Kdenlive and Openshot, had already been installed/loaded. As some version of jack was already present, I did not follow your instructions to install it.

Following is my notes of things you might want to look into.

The Lives.sfs loads and initiates its configuration setup. First step is to choose a working directory. Default is /root/livestemp. I wanted to choose a directory on /mnt/home. Created an empty folder /mnt/home/aLives and browsed to it. Clicked open. Nothing happened. Could not select any directory other than default.
Configuration Testing: png/alpha “fails.” Mplayer2 was not detected. Mplayer was detecteed. Suggests upgrade to mplayer.
Although I did not install jack –as pfind suggested it was already present—Configuration Testing did not indicate failure.

Selecting audio player choices were jack, sox and mplayer. Pfind indicated presence of files relating to all of these. Chose jack, the default.

Once it reached its “open” stage, what appeared to be terminal out-put showed up at the bottom of the screen. Information there could be cut/pasted. Nice feature. It read:

Checking optional dependencies:mplayer...detected...mplayer2...NOT DETECTED...convert...detected...composite...detected...sox...detected
cdda2wav...detected...jackd...detected...pulse audio...NOT DETECTED...python...detected...dvgrab...detected...xwininfo...detected..

Attempting to select flv or wmv file caused Lives to crash. Might just be the specific files rather than flv and wmv in general. I don't know what file types Lives can use. Avi, mpg and mpeg files could be opened and played. I did not try to edit or render anything.

After the crash, Lives no longer appeared on the Menu. I think it initially had. Lives could be started by clicking /usr/share/applications/lives.desktop. I checked Lives.desktop categories id. “AudioVideo;AudioVideoEditing;” was used. This appears to be correct as that is what appears in other video editor's desktop files. Also Lives was not found by Lxpanel edit-add launcher for application. Changing default xpm icon file id'd in desktop file as Lives's icon to a png file in /usr/share/pixmaps solved the missing menu entry problem. I think this is a problem with Openbox which, if memory serves, is less robust than jwm in accepting definitions and icons in its desktop files.

In sum, Lives appears to be a useful application. Only the limitation regarding choice of working directory might be problematic on computers with limited RAM.

Nice work. Thanks again, l0wt3ch.

mikesLr
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 12 Aug 2014, 20:02    Post subject:  

You're welcome!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Multimedia
Jump to: