Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 01 Sep 2014, 10:16
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
possible solution for iwlwifi wireless connection trouble
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
stray_dog

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 08:35    Post subject:  possible solution for iwlwifi wireless connection trouble  

If you have a machine that uses the iwlwifi driver & notice connecting to wifi is slow - or you experience disconnects - it may be because of a bug in the driver itself. Typing this into a console solves it easily for me:

modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 auto_agg=0 swcrypto=1 power_level=1

Just wanted to post this in case it could help somebody. Ok, that's all. Thank you.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 08:51    Post subject:  

Thanks. I have added this hint to the documentation for PWF.

Would you not need to preface this command with "rmmod iwlwifi"? This would unload/reload the driver.
stray_dog

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 09:38    Post subject:  

Awesome. Hope it helps some.

Yea that rmmod iwlwifi first might be a good idea, I haven't tried that yet, or tried some of the other options with modprobe yet. When I did this without the rmmod, the difference was immediate & very noticeable, so it did 'some'thing for me. I'll try to experiment & report back.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 09:46    Post subject:  

It may be that modprobe is smart enough to unload the previous instance of the driver before reloading it. Maybe someone else can comment on this.
stray_dog

PostPosted: Sun 10 Aug 2014, 10:17    Post subject:  

Yea, could be. I'm unsure. I think I've read that if you want to use a different driver, rmmod [old driver] needs to happen first. Maybe it's changing the parameters of the driver, rather than loading it again. I think it's also possible to create a *.conf file inside /et/modprobe.d directory and add this line to that:

options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 auto_agg=0 swcrypto=1 power_level=1

or if you have a conf file already, you could try "modprobe -C iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 auto_agg=0 swcrypto=1 power_level=1" which is supposed to override the default configuration directory/file. Since I've been booting up without a save file lately, I haven't really tried anything to keep persistent changes.
stray_dog

PostPosted: Mon 11 Aug 2014, 19:24    Post subject:  

Ok so the results of experimenting a little more with this seem to be:

If you're running in ram only or have no save file,
Code:
modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 auto_agg=0 swcrypto=1 power_level=1
produces a result for me that's great.

If I rmmod iwlwifi and then do the above, results are not so great unless I reboot. So, for those of you who've got an install on a hard drive, or use a save file (I have neither yet) that might work.

If you like to keep a save file, that's cool, I just tried out creating a file in etc/modprobe.d directory called iwlwifi.conf where I just had a line that read "options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1 bt_coex_active=0 power_save=0 auto_agg=0 swcrypto=1 power_level=1" ... saved it, Then shut down & created a save file (onto my bootable usb), rebooted, and my connections were as fast as trying the first suggestion.

The other suggestion about *if* you already have a config file & to use modprobe -C ... yeah, that's wrong, all wrong. You'll probably get a fatal error if you try it as previously written. According to the modprobe man page, it should be:

modprobe [-C config-file]

so there shouldn't be any modulenames or anything in there. I haven't tried this yet, but I hope to soon. The manual page says "this option is passed through install or remove commands to other modprobe commands in the modprobe_options environment variable" ... which I don't know anything about, but may be an explanation as to why running
Code:
produced an immediate result for me without any reboot & saving.

I guess what I mean is, if you're messing with options, you may not need a reboot like if you were unloading drivers and loading new ones.
stray_dog

PostPosted: Fri 22 Aug 2014, 21:45    Post subject:  

Okay so after searching the internet some and trying stuff myself some, I really can't say for sure that this will help anyone. For some people out there, disabling n worked, for other people, disabling bt coexistence worked, for some folks setting power level worked, for some folks all of it worked. For me it looked like it was immediate, but in the meantime even if I do some of this stuff, I still experience weirdness so I'll keep looking into it. Later I'll try to post links & also maybe there's firmware issues involved which I know nothing about yet. Ok, that's it for now. Must sleep.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Networking » Wireless
Jump to: