How did you get interested in Linux/ Puppy?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
rufwoof

#61 Post by rufwoof »

Bill Gates introduced me to it
Scooby wrote:I was happy running WinXp, I liked it.
Me also. Knew it inside out and was familiar with Excel etc, then they opted to drop support so I moved over to Puppy Linux last Feb/March and now have a fixed unchanging boot/system that I have become just as familiar with. Learning experience of moving to Libre Office took a while but now can flash around just as quickly as I used to with Excel. No enforced changes, boots real quick. I run with no savefile as I store all data/text outside of puppy space and the core puppy is set up/running how I like. No need for virus scanner/updates as a virus would only persist for the single session.

Initial experience of Puppy wasn't good. Too many selections and guidance rather deeply buried. Many wouldn't work with my particular hardware (black GUI on booting). Slacko did, and Slacko 5.3.3. seemed to work well. Cut that down/remastered several times to a 75MB boot puppy sfs filesize, the rest I load on the fly via sfs's as/when required. I've built up quite a nice collection of sfs's that work well with that core puppy that covers all the things I need to do (word processing, spreadsheet, video editing, burning etc.).

Portable firefox is great, as you run the latest version all of the time and it stores outside of puppy space. I use that for general browsing, but download a fresh copy on a factory fresh/pristine version of puppy for online banking purposes (totally RAM based with no HDD's connected/mounted).

I like familiarity - if it ain't broke don't fix it - the reason I stuck with XP for so long. MS however forces you to change things even though they might be working perfectly well for you - so you have to re-learn how to use a new version of the tool rather that getting on with the job in hand which I find irritating, especially when the new tool doesn't seem to do anything much different, but just looks/feels different. I prefer to be concentrating on what I want to get done rather than on how to use the tools.

Personally a fault with Puppy is all the puplet's IMO. Often the same functionality (tool) presented differently. Many seem to be nothing more than a change of desktop background and a different arrangement of menus. Which leaves new users somewhat confused by all the choices.

l0wt3ch

#62 Post by l0wt3ch »

Colonel Panic wrote:Yes, and can you (or anyone else) remember the days when you had to hand edit the xorgconfig file yourself - no setup wizards back then - and if you got it even a bit wrong X Windows wouldn't boot?
And having to create your own fstab file for internal drives... :cry: