Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 29 Aug 2014, 06:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
jumper settings for Maxtor Master and Seagate Slave?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 03:04    Post subject:  jumper settings for Maxtor Master and Seagate Slave?  

This pair of IDE hard drives were installed in my computer. Now I install them in another computer without changing jumper settings, and the Primary Slave will not detect as such. First, I set the Maxtor Master hdd to Master, and then the Seagate Slave to Slave. Computer won't boot, freezes, and, after a delay, BIOS reports primary hard disk has failed. Then I set both to Cable Select. Neither of these setups succeeded. The Maxtor 500 GB Master hdd has OS and data, and the Seagate 300 GB Slave hdd has data only. After trying known combinations, I proceeded to systematically test all possible combinations. First, I set the Maxtor Master hdd to Master, and then tested all 4 jumper positions on the Seagate Slave. Then I set the Maxtor Master hdd to Cable Select, and tested all four jumper positions. This procedure still did not find the correction combination. Here are two pertinent facts: If I remove power from the Seagate Slave hdd, the Maxtor Master hdd behaves normally operating as a single drive. If I remove power from the Maxtor Master hdd, without removing the data cable from mobo, and then run live CD, the icon for the Seagate Slave shows on desktop. Therefore, the two hard drives operate as single drives without a problem, and the cable connection is good.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 03 Aug 2014, 09:14; edited 2 times in total
Latitude

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 04:09    Post subject:  

Hi nubc,

Maybe you need to enable something in BIOS?

If you set the jumpers to how they were in your old computer, plug them both in to the new computer, provide power to both drives, then re-boot and go into BIOS. Does BIOS detect both drives, and if so, does it show them correctly as Master and Slave?

Fossil

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 08:22    Post subject:  

First, boot into BIOS and check that the hard drives are recognized by the setup. Also, as this is a different computer, are you still using the original connector lead or, is it part of the new machine's motherboard assembly? Swap the cables around; does it make a difference?
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 09:16    Post subject:  

The Primary Slave is set to Auto in BIOS. The Seagate Primary Slave hdd is not detected and listed in BIOS. The geometry for cabling these two drives is very tight, and for this reason I tested individual connectivity of the two drives, as described in first post.
Latitude

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 09:34    Post subject:  

Does BIOS give you the option of manually setting the Master and Slave drives?
Les Kerf

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 10:51    Post subject:  

nubc wrote:
... The geometry for cabling these two drives is very tight...

Did you try connecting (swapping) to the other IDE cable(s)? This may require swapping physical location if the cables are too short.
jafadmin

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 13:03    Post subject:  

With IDE drives, cable position is important. IIRC, the master has to be on the end of the cable, and the slave has to be the second one.

Just match the master/slave settings and cable positions from the machine that worked.

I hope this helps.
nubc

PostPosted: Sun 03 Aug 2014, 21:39    Post subject:  

Well, this computer kinda bombs out. The volume from the onboard audio is about one-fourth what I expect from an audio port. To compensate I had to max out every audio parameter and use satellite speakers with greater amplification, but it still didn't make that much sound. Since this is a kiosk computer, it probably isn't going to work out. Plus, when there were too many windows running, it froze hard.
nubc

PostPosted: Fri 08 Aug 2014, 17:01    Post subject:  

The issue with detecting two hard drives was fixed by upgrading Award BIOS. I am having a problem with the installed PCI sound card. After reboot, it takes 15 to 30 seconds for sound to kick in the first time. After sound kicks in, it's good until the next reboot. After a cold boot, I have to use ALSA sound wizard to re-install the driver, ES1988 Alegro-1 (rev10). Any suggestions or recommendations to improve this situation?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: