Disable the virtual desktop chooser from the tray or panel

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
zandarian

Disable the virtual desktop chooser from the tray or panel

#1 Post by zandarian »

If you want the virtual desktop choosing button or icon to go out from the tray or panel you just need to:
* Click on "file" icon (on the desktop) so the file manager (ROX-Filer) opens, exactly in the desired folder (~ = /root)
* Click on the eye icon so you can see the hidden archives
* Click on .jwmrc-tray so it opens with Geany (text editor)
* Take out the line with "<Pager/>"
* Click on "Save"
* Close the editor
* Click on Menu, then on "Shutdown", then on "Restart window manager"

solo

#2 Post by solo »

Since I never use virtual desktops, this was always one of those little elements on my desktop which was naggingly present, but I felt I had to accept because I couldn't find a way to remove it.

But I am somewhat of a obsessive maniac about these things so it kept irritating the Hell outta me.

So I just wanted to say I really appreciate you sharing this particular bit of knowledge with us.

My desktop is perfect now. My spirit has found its peace. :)

quenyan

Re: Disable the virtual desktop chooser from the tray or panel

#3 Post by quenyan »

tallboy

#4 Post by tallboy »

But I am somewhat of a obsessive maniac about these things so it kept irritating the Hell outta me.
I understand the principle that drives you to remove all VDs, but I must say that having just one VD, cluttered with many program windows, would irritate me far more. But, it's your choice! :D
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

B.K. Johnson

#5 Post by B.K. Johnson »

tallboy wrote:
having just one VD, cluttered with many program windows, would irritate me far more. But, it's your choice! Very Happy
+1
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

rufwoof

#6 Post by rufwoof »

tallboy wrote:
I understand the principle that drives you to remove all VDs, but I must say that having just one VD, cluttered with many program windows, would irritate me far more. But, it's your choice! :D
Hi tallboy.

Some like having multiple small windows on a desktop and zoom/unzoom windows as desired. Others like having windows spread out over multiple desktops, often for grouping of function/activity purposes. Personally I prefer each window to be (mostly) maximised and use the tray/alt-tab/click to switch between them, with grouping of function/activity within a window. For instance on my setup F1 toggles display of tilda terminal (Quake style), and within that I run 'screen' and where one of those windows runs a ssh into a ssh server where email/irc/etc are running (continually) within a tmux session. A simple F1 hides all of that. And when the laptop is shutdown those email/irc etc. sessions carry on running in the background, so I can connect again later, even from a totally different location/box and they're all there showing all of the activity whilst I was 'away'. But if my laptop is stolen, or the hdd fails then they all remain secure/intact. To protect things like my calendar on the ssh server side I have them contained within a encfs folder, so not even root on the ssh server can 'see' the content.

The 'tray' at the very top of this image is my local 'screen' terminal multiplexors tray that is running 'hashbang' (i.e. ssh connection), weather and sh, where the active window is the hashbang window (red coloured) and within that htop is running.
the very bottom tray is my Fatdog tray - that is running Chrome, and the one directly above that is hashbang's tmux tray (that is running chat, mutt, ...etc.). Not in that image is any links to my android phone (as its not powered on at present). Often however I'll have that sshfs mounted within the 'screen' tray, so that I can copy files to/from that between ssh server or laptop (mc is great for that). I also tend to have a lynx running and opened on my androids paste buffer (so I can paste any url links/whatever to my phone from the ssh server or laptop).

I very infrequently switch to desktop 2. As you suggest, the beauty is the choice/flexibility. My "desktop" is in effect a trio of ssh server, laptop, android phone. Laptop is booted from usb and all runs in ram. Laptop hdd is mostly used as a encrypted swap (I've set it to 26GB), so if/when I do copy large files around - even if copied into /root (that is ram based) the copy works ok (rather than the system locking up due to exhausting ram).

Yes 'cluttered' maybe for some, but I like the instant visibility all on a single desktop rather than having to switch between different virtual desktops.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]

MochiMoppel

#7 Post by MochiMoppel »

What is the point of getting the "desktop choosing button or icon to go out from the tray"?
This doesn't remove the virtual desktops. Reducing the number of desktops requires a different setting.

quenyan

#8 Post by quenyan »

MochiMoppel wrote:What is the point of getting the "desktop choosing button or icon to go out from the tray"?
This doesn't remove the virtual desktops. Reducing the number of desktops requires a different setting.
yes, MochiMoppel is right, it doesn't remove the virtual desktop at all. if you still got 3 virtual desktop and removed the interface, you still be able to switch in between the virtual desktop by scrolling up/down or whatever the shortcut it.

rufwoof

#9 Post by rufwoof »

I used to manually configure my jwm desktops, and in the .jwmrc file would have adjusted

<Desktops width="1" height="1">

(along with removing the <Pager/> )

for a single desktop. I believe standard Puppy's however nowadays has that as a setting in Puppy Control or suchlike ??
[size=75]( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) :wq[/size]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1028256#1028256][size=75]Fatdog multi-session usb[/url][/size]
[size=75][url=https://hashbang.sh]echo url|sed -e 's/^/(c/' -e 's/$/ hashbang.sh)/'|sh[/url][/size]