SeaMonkey 2.48 on Wary

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
jodel

SeaMonkey 2.48 on Wary

#1 Post by jodel »

Hi,
I am trying to get SeaMonkey 2.48 running on Wary 5.5
The laptop I am using is a feeble Dell Inspiron 1000 with a Celeron 2.2 Ghz and 447 MB of memory.
When I try running 2.48 I get the following error.
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.48/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn't load XPCOM.
I am setting it up for someone to just use it to access Gmail and it defaults to the old HTML version of Gmail as the SeaMonkey 2.6.1 that comes with Wary is too old.

Any suggestions as to a solution.

Regards,
Jodel

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

You can install dbus and dbus-glib via Puppy Package Manager. This will deal with that error but unfortunately I think you will find that other libraries will still be missing which will be more difficult to find and install. I did a quick test and it wanted libX11-xcb. Others may be missing even if you could find that one.

The combination of Wary and recent browsers is always going to be problematic. I would suggest trying a later Puppy even though everything will probably be rather slow on that hardware. Try something like Precise if the very latest releases are too heavy. Make sure you have some swap to support the low RAM memory.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#3 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Oscar/jodel:-

Pet attached for libX11-xcb. Click to install. What else do ya need?

-------------------------------------------------------

However; I agree with Oscar, here. Precise 571 should be a better all-round Pup for your Inspiron 1000. I run an old 1100, in addition to the big Compaq desktop. Mine's been upgraded a bit; a 2.6 GHz 'proper' P4 (drop-in replacement for the 2.2 GHz 'Celery', since in those days Dell were using full 'desktop' CPUs - mobile CPUs were still just a distant gleam in Intel's eye at that time); 1.5 GB RAM.....and a 64 GB SSD.

She's been host to no end of different Pups; single, dual, even triple-booting at one point. But out of them all, Precise 571 has always been the sweetest Puppy on there, by a long chalk. She now runs 571 exclusively; I'm happy with that.

If you install 571, you can run PaleMoon 28.1.0, the current version.....and that will access the new-look GMail with no problems. I did a .pet for PaleMoon 28.1.0, which you can find here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gweO-J ... sp=sharing

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
libX11-xcb-1.0.0-i686.pet
LibX11xcb-1.0.0
(1.82 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

jodel

#4 Post by jodel »

Brillant, thanks for all the help.
I'll try Precise 571.
Thanks,
Jodel

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jodel:-

Just out of curiosity, did you by any chance end up on this page when you were looking to download Puppy? It's about the only page I know of (that's still in general circulation) which even mentions Wary any longer....

http://puppylinux.org/main/Long-Term-Su ... 0Puppy.htm

Precise itself can be found here. (You may want the retro version; it contains a lot of extra drivers for older hardware.)

jodel

#6 Post by jodel »

The reason I initially tried Wary is that there is a page that suggests various Puppies based on the ram available. It suggested Wary for 512MB.

I found this section of the forum just by looking at the subjects and it seemed the best option for browser help.

Finally, the advise was perfect! I am now using Precise 571 with Palemoon 28.1.0 and it makes the old laptop useful again.
Thanks to helpful and knowledgeable people.
Jodel

Mike Walsh

#7 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jodel:-
jodel wrote:Finally, the advise was perfect! I am now using Precise 571 with Palemoon 28.1.0 and it makes the old laptop useful again.
Thanks to helpful and knowledgeable people.
Good, good. Glad to hear you're 'sorted'. Nice one. Personally, I never see the point in throwing older machines away.....especially if they're still fully functional. They may have been left behind by MyCrudSoft's never-ending quest for resource assimilation.....but that's where Puppy comes in.

Puppy to the rescue!

Another 'satisfied customer'..! :lol: