MyDbox,interactive Dropbox installer (cloud storage utility)

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Whitesnow

MyDbox 1.2 version available

#16 Post by Whitesnow »

December 14th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.2 version available.
Look at first post, in this thread, to find the pet.

Enjoy! :)
[b][i][color=darkred][size=134]*.* Snow *.*[/size][/color][/i][/b] :wink:

phredo

Dropbox still not starting

#17 Post by phredo »

I uninstalled the 2.10 version, deleted the .dropbox stuff from the root and home folders and deleted /opt/dropbox, and then installed mydropbox-1.2.

But I'm still getting the "Couldn't start dropbox" message! Perhaps something didn't get completely uninstalled before, because when I rebooted after uninstalling the earlier version and the files, I got a "can't find dropbox" or something like that upon booting.

Also, by the way, the dropbox-dist folder was created again in the root folder. After Dropbox wouldn't load, I tried moving it to home and linking back to root, but that didn't help. On the other hand, I found that mydropbox-1.2 did put the .dropbox folder in home with the link-back to root. And no /opt/dropbox folder was created.

Whitesnow

Re: Dropbox still not starting

#18 Post by Whitesnow »

phredo wrote:the dropbox-dist folder was created again in the root folder. After Dropbox wouldn't load, I tried moving it to home and linking back to root, but that didn't help. On the other hand, I found that mydropbox-1.2 did put the .dropbox folder in home with the link-back to root. And no /opt/dropbox folder was created.
You have to read carefully first post in this thread. Yesterday, I updated MyDbox and its information. I wrote about new Dropbox update specific Dbus requirement, too. All is written there (follow read-more link, in that post, and install Dbus before MyDbox). I suggest to uninstall every Dropbox-related stuff again (except "Dropbox" folder) and to follow instructions.
phredo wrote:I'm still getting the "Couldn't start dropbox" message!
If you still have problems after procedure above, you could post temporary error file created by Dropbox (look at address in error window).

phredo

#19 Post by phredo »

You were correct: I hadn't read the first entry. With Dbus loaded first, it now works!

But the new interface is annoying. It wouldn't let me choose my home drive, saying there was already a Dropbox folder there. I had to trick it by first renaming my Dropbox folder to something else, selecting the home drive for Dropbox, let it start to update, quit Dropbox, delete the new Dropbox folder, and rename my old folder to Dropbox. When I restarted Dropbox, it began happily indexing my files. (I did the above to save having to download all my files from the Dropbox server.)

"All's well that ends well." Thanks for being on top of everything!

666philb

#20 Post by 666philb »

thanks Whitesnow,

it's good to have dropbox working again :D
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Puppus Dogfellow

#21 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

666philb wrote:thanks Whitesnow,

yes, thank you, Whitesnow.

Whitesnow

#22 Post by Whitesnow »

phredo wrote:Thanks for being on top of everything!
:oops: :lol:
666philb wrote:thanks Whitesnow,
:D
Can you tell me if Dbus, that I compiled, works well in Tahrpup, too? I haven't tried yet.
Puppus Dogfellow wrote:yes, thank you, Whitesnow.

666philb

#23 Post by 666philb »

Whitesnow wrote: Can you tell me if Dbus, that I compiled, works well in Tahrpup, too? I haven't tried yet.
dropbox is working fine with tahrpups native dbus
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Whitesnow

#24 Post by Whitesnow »

666philb wrote:dropbox is working fine with tahrpups native dbus
Good (and useful) to know and spread. :)

666philb

#25 Post by 666philb »

hi Whitesnow,

it might be worth including the dropbox.py script https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py it allows you to control dropbox from the command line.

for instance i have a small script in my public folder.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/dropbox.py puburl "$@" | xclip -i -selection clipboard
if i drag a file from my public folder onto it , i get the download link put straight into the clipboard.

Whitesnow

Integration of dropbox.py script in MyDbox

#26 Post by Whitesnow »

666philb wrote:hi Whitesnow,
it might be worth including the dropbox.py script https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py it allows you to control dropbox from the command line.
Hi 666philb, :)
I knew that script, but I never thought about its potentiality, until now. ;)
Next release of MyDbox will download that script, too.
666philb wrote:for instance i have a small script in my public folder.

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/dropbox.py puburl "$@" | xclip -i -selection clipboard
if i drag a file from my public folder onto it , i get the download link put straight into the clipboard.
Many thanks for sharing this useful script! :)

Puppus Dogfellow

#27 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

working well in fatdog701.

Puppus Dogfellow

#28 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

working well in Quirky Aprli 64 7.0.4.1

bfg

Re: MyDbox 1.2 version available

#29 Post by bfg »

Whitesnow wrote:December 14th, 2014 UPDATE: 1.2 version available.
Look at first post, in this thread, to find the pet.

Enjoy! :)
Thank you very much Whitesnow :)
Finally Dropbox works on Quirky 7.2.1 32bit using dbus-1.8.12_i686.pet from your repository and after the following command...

dbus-uuidgen > /etc/machine-id
Still there is no autostart but it is no too bad: I can start from Internet Menu.

kenh

#30 Post by kenh »

It works fine for me in Slacko 6.3.2. I really needed Dropbox for my netbook.

Thanks for doing this!

Ken

slavvo67

#31 Post by slavvo67 »

Works well in Quirky Xerus and RUXerus. --Tks

jmm

#32 Post by jmm »

in a fresh slacko 6.3.2., when i try to install the mydbox 1.2.pet package, i get a "failed to install" message. no dropbox has been formerly installed. the dbus 1.6 is installed in this distribution. i get the same error message when wanting to install the dbus 1.12.pet package. any help?

watchdog

#33 Post by watchdog »

I have tested working mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet in my frugal install of slacko 6.3.2. Perhaps was the download link temporaly unavailable? Try again.

jmm

#34 Post by jmm »

watchdog wrote:I have tested working mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet in my frugal install of slacko 6.3.2. Perhaps was the download link temporaly unavailable? Try again.
thank you for your kind reply. yes, now the installation worked. but there is no menu entry, and i don't know how to start mydbox or the dropbox installer.

jmm

#35 Post by jmm »

watchdog wrote:I have tested working mydbox-1.2_noarch.pet in my frugal install of slacko 6.3.2. Perhaps was the download link temporaly unavailable? Try again.
i just made a fresh install of a slacko 632, then tried to install the Dbus and Mydbox pet packages, and also got a "failed to install" window ??