Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 02 Oct 2014, 02:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
MyDbox,interactive Dropbox installer (cloud storage utility)
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Whitesnow

PostPosted: Fri 01 Aug 2014, 20:38    Post_subject:  MyDbox,interactive Dropbox installer (cloud storage utility)
Sub_title: installs latest Dropbox (root or spot user choice, 32 or 64 bit)

What MyDbox does:

- interacts with GUI user (information messages, as well as action and error management)
- installs latest Dropbox - https://dropbox.com - (root or spot user choice, 32 or 64 bit)
- space saving behaviour: leaves a clean system (no unuseful files, like downloaded archives or temporary directories)
- provides unofficial icon, launcher script, desktop entry and link to run/autorun Dropbox at every boot
- removes itself (unofficial icon, launcher script, desktop entry and link - and also Dropbox, according to user choice -)

Please note, Dropbox auto-updates itself, so you need to install once.

Full information about this project is on my blog (use search box). You can download MyDbox also via my repository. See my sign for addresses.
Program tested only on Slacko 5.7. Feedbacks are welcome. Thanks in advance. Smile
mydbox.png
 Description   
 Filesize   79.34 KB
 Viewed   458 Time(s)

mydbox.png

mydbox-1.0_noarch.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mydbox-1.0_noarch.pet 
Filesize  5.34 KB 
Downloaded  103 Time(s) 

phredo

PostPosted: Tue 26 Aug 2014, 14:39    Post_subject:  

Installed fine. Thanks for the pet. But, like all my previous dropboxes, when I boot up dropbox starts but doesn't remember my account. I have to to through the signup process again, although it does then remember my dropbox folder location.

Isn't there some way to fix that, so it just asks for my password?
sfeeley

PostPosted: Thu 28 Aug 2014, 17:10    Post_subject:  

Quote:
when I boot up dropbox starts but doesn't remember my account. I have to to through the signup process again, although it does then remember my dropbox folder location.

I got this working via a clunky amount of steps, but works. Perhaps Whitesnow could incorporate some of my steps into his pet, which is far more elegant?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=95470
phredo

PostPosted: Sun 31 Aug 2014, 18:49    Post_subject:  

Well, I seem to have found a solution to having to enter my info each time dropbox starts, from a post by Fernando S at forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=55766#post-410131 :

Hi, I'm running puppy linux 5.25 and had the same problem, but I've found an easy fix to run dropbox under a FRUGAL install:

I moved the .dropbox folder outside the /root folder (where is installed by default), and made a link inside /root pointing to the real location. In my case, I've moved the .drobbox folder to /mnt/home/.dropbox

PAY ATTENTION THAT I'M MOVING AND LINKING THE .dropbox FOLDER, NOT THE Dropbox FOLDER

Although he doesn't state it precisely, my dropbox folder is at /mnt/home/dropbox, and the method above worked for me. My first try was to move the .dropbox folder to my Dropbox folder, but it turns out that there is already a .dropbox file there, so I didn't replace the file with the folder, but moved the folder instead to the higher level, just as the instructions above say to do, e.g. to /mt/home. Now Dropbox automatically logs in, that is, it just shows up in the right tray.
Whitesnow

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep 2014, 04:15    Post_subject:  

It seems to me that this could be a permission problem.
/mnt/home is actually /initrd/mnt/dev_save and it's set to 777 by default (everyone could read, write and execute). So, moving your (default permission) .dropbox directory there means can do everything into it (read configuration files - your login data - included). Maybe, in your default root directory, permissions were more restrictive.

Please, verify your permissions for these directories:

- /root
- /root/spot (only if you chose this as Dropbox user)
- /mnt/home
- /<your-path>/.dropbox

At last, what Puppy do you run?

sfeeley wrote:
his pet

Her pet. I'm a woman.

phredo

PostPosted: Tue 02 Sep 2014, 14:45    Post_subject:  

In my case, when I look at "properties" for each folder, in /root every item on the grid is checked except for Group/Write and World/Write. In dev_save all nine categories are checked.

My .dropbox folder is now in home (aka dev_save).

I'm running Slacko 5.7 and not using spot.

As I wrote earlier, Dropbox starts up and logs in on its own transparently.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum