Fatdog64 700 alpha1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#31 Post by kirk »

Installing the latest version (1.35) seems to work properly.
Thanks, will update.
AMD Beta failed for me too.
Yes, AMD is always slow at updating. The latest beta only supports up to linux-3.13 http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... river.aspx There's probably patches out there to make it work with newer kernels.

What's the issue here - why are we ignoring the savefile on reboot, unlike almost every other Puppy version out there.

Is there an idiots guide (clearly I must be one) so that we can read the savefile? The guide is a little obtuse on this for me.

(BTW ISO was written to USB using Unetbootin)
We don't slow the boot down waiting for usb devices to become ready, which is nice if you're not booting from usb. Assuming you put your savefile at the root of your usb drive and didn't rename it, then you probably need the waitdev boot option. Try adding waitdev=5 to your kernel line. I've never used Unetbootin, can't help you with the details of that.

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

jamesbond wrote:Control Panel --> Desktop --> Event Manager (perhaps I should rename this entry) and then change the "drive icon margins."
Actually Control Panel --> Desktop --> FatDog64 Event Manager

:-)

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#33 Post by Billtoo »

I used the Fatdog installer and installed to a 32gb usb 3.0 flash
drive.
Attachments
hardinfo.jpg
(51.22 KiB) Downloaded 2387 times
xinescreen.jpg
(92 KiB) Downloaded 2486 times

neerajkolte

#34 Post by neerajkolte »

Just when I was thinking to experiment with linuxfromscratch, you came up with a distro build from it. :D

Thanks @kirk and @jamesbond.

Ok I have edited the vlc.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and changed line 85 from

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/bin/vlc --started-from-file %U
to

Exec=/usr/bin/vlc
now after reboot vlc starts from menu entry. But I just wanted to know if this is the right method?

Also I had old 1Gb USB stick which I used for Fatdog64-631.
I used Fatdog64 installer in control panel of 700a, but after successful installation, while booting gives msg as no boot media.
That drive was booting fine with Fatdog64-631.
Gparted shows boot flag to drive, it's formatted as fat32, files in it also look ok.
Will try installer in 631 to install 700a or 700a installer to install 631 and get back to you (later when I get back home from work).

A few days ago @Wognath reported he was trying out Opera24-developer on Fatdog 700 preview. He was having problems with it.
Has anyone got it running?

Everything else looks really nice.

Thanks again.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

neerajkolte

#35 Post by neerajkolte »

Opps double post. :D
Can't delete.

So Now I would just say reserved for future. :wink: :wink:
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Gobbi

#36 Post by Gobbi »

jamesbond wrote:I can tell you how to change themes manually if you feel like it.
Thank's jamesbond ! I can do it myself when I'll get to it...

I found no more Menu/Graphic/mtPaint-snapshot screen capture - but there must be some command line from the terminal to do it :!: :?: :idea: Billtoo , could you please share how you do it ?

In Control Panel/System/System Profiler and Benchmarks as soon as I try USB Devices the CPU spikes to 97-98% and I can't see those devices , that window is blocked .Trying to close several times the window and then the system asks if I want to End the Process . Ending the process turn the CPU to normal.
I tried 3 times and the result was the same.

Billtoo

#37 Post by Billtoo »

Gobbi wrote:Billtoo , could you please share how you do it ?
File/actions/time delayed screenshot

The delay can be adjusted but the default is about 10 seconds.
Attachments
mtpaint.jpg
(38.11 KiB) Downloaded 2168 times

Gobbi

#38 Post by Gobbi »

Billtoo wrote:
File/actions/time delayed screenshot
The delay can be adjusted but the default is about 10 seconds.
Thank's a lot Billtoo :!:

I've looked into Files but didn't go further to Actions :oops:
It was always there ...

jamesbond

#39 Post by jamesbond »

Or you can also print Shift-Printscreen (which will execute "mtpaint -s" - that's the reason why we removed the "take screenshot" from the menu).

Alternatively, there are two additional programs included that can take screenshot: xannotate and xscreenshot. xscreenshot allows you to choose a region of the screen for taking screenshots (and for taking successive screenshots); xannotate allows you to "annotate" (draw) on desktop and then take the screenshot containing your annotation.

They are not made as the default because for most users, a simple screenshot that opens up mtpaint for further editing is probably the most obvious and the best way of doing it.
Gobbi wrote:In Control Panel/System/System Profiler and Benchmarks as soon as I try USB Devices the CPU spikes to 97-98% and I can't see those devices , that window is blocked
I will look into this. That particular section is problematic, it crashed hardinfo just before we released alpha so I tried to apply a quickfix to it - which apparently doesn't work very well.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Jaybot7

#40 Post by Jaybot7 »

Yes! Long-time Puppy-fan. Registered just to express my thanks for this excellent build.

After messing around with EFI bootloaders and 64-bit builds for various linux distros for weeks, I almost ended up giving up on any form of Puppy. Even the older builds, LHPup and the new Slacko64 weren't quite working out (drivers not working, mouse/keyboard, screen messed up, save file not working). Just as I was about to settle on sparky linux, I thought I'd check out the forums one more time to see if there were any new builds... And this was posted!

This is the first build that has worked (with some slight tweaking of the wifi drivers from an ubuntu repo). But I am now happy to say that I have Fatdog64 running very close to perfect on a Surface Pro 2.

Thanks again!

GKM

recovering previous fd solution

#41 Post by GKM »

Hi there,

Thanks for all the effort put into the first alfa release of fatdog 700.

@neerajkolte I had a similar problem with fatdog621, after installation of fatdog 700 no os could be found. I recovered my fd621 by booting from an fatdog 621 usb stick without savefile, and used the grub bootloader config tool in the control panel (expert mode). With the help of the fatdog instructions at http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/fa ... tions.html it is then relatively easy to regenerate your bootloader by reading the instructions in the config program carefully. I cannot give precise intrustions as this depends somewhat on the specifics of your fatdog 631 installation.

Regards,

GKM

neerajkolte

Ghost in the system???

#42 Post by neerajkolte »

Thanks for reply GKM,

Here's what I did,

I am booting from 64Gb USB multiboot stick made by YUMi 2.0 from pendrivelinux.com.
It has Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17 Cinnamon, Mint 17 Mate, Fatdog64-631, Fatdog64-700a.

I booted into Fatdog64-700a. Used Installer in control panel to install 700a to one old 1Gb usb drive and one new 8Gb usb drive.

I couldn't make good install even though installer said install successful.
I even tried with split initrd and also without it.
While booting both usbs gave me no good boot media msg.

Then I tried installing 631 from installer in 700a. Same thing happened.

So then I booted in to 631 and tried it's installer to install.
Installing 631 was good.
Installing 700a with split initrd gave me no boot media msg while booting.
Installing 700a without splitting initrd booted me to CLI Bulldog.

Then I got convinced my self that as 700a was done differently so old 631 installer was not working with it and installer in 700a might be having something wrong with it.

So I again booted in 700a and used installer again to find some error.
:shock: Surprise surprise :shock: Both sticks made good install and booted nicely with split initrd and without it too.

Must be some thing quirky about my USBs. But although one is old , other is quite new. Can't apply any logic here....

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
- Ken Thompson

- Amara’s Law.

01micko

#43 Post by 01micko »

Overall -- nice :)

Some polish needed for save file/folder. For example, I booted from a subfolder 1 level deep. At shutdown I was allowed to save in that subdir a save folder. On reboot that save folder was not found. I'm sure it would have been with a kernel line parameter but that's probably not what is expected. The save dir was created and saved to successfully, by the way.

I have legacy radeon. It has always worked well, and without doing any specific benchmarking, continues to do so, and possibly seems to work exceptionally well. Perhaps more later when I get an honest benchmark.

I feel somewhat responsible for the inclusion of pipepanic and xinvaders3d, though I have nothing to do with those programs! (Former is thanks to thunor, gtkdialog officianado).

:P

EDIT: I loaded up a libreoffice-4.3 sfs produced in slacko64 from get_libreoffice and while it loaded fine, there were no menu entries until an X restart. Little help on a refresh of menus please?
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#44 Post by Billtoo »

@jamesbond

I just wanted to report that my mac keyboard isn't recognized in Fatdog
700a.
The usb port which I've plugged my wireless mouse thingy into (it has a
usb port on each end of the keyboard) is seen and the enter key works at
the boot prompt but not when it gets to desktop.

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 05ac:1006 Apple, Inc. Hub in Aluminum Keyboard

I find the mac keyboard handy because of the usb ports it has which
work especially well on a netbook or laptop that may only have 2 or 3
usb ports to begin with.

Thanks

James C

#45 Post by James C »

Quick frugal install on an old dual core.Working pretty well out of the box.

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+
Memory		: 3791MB (495MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Fatdog64 [700]
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Sun Aug  3 23:48:55 2014
-Display-
Resolution		: 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Unknown
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       3791076     507732    3283344     236864      35216     343356
-/+ buffers/cache:     129160    3661916
Swap:      8294396          0    8294396
# 

jamesbond

#46 Post by jamesbond »

@Billtoo, perhaps because CONFIG_HID_APPLE is not enabled in the current kernel. Will advise kirk to enable this in the next kernel build.

@Mick, re: libreoffice: there is nothing special needed to refresh the menu - it should refresh automatically. Look at /usr/bin/getlibre.sh (step 10) - I just change some of the categories, that's all. re: savefolder: I should add a comment that unless you know what you're doing, do not change the path or the name of the savefile (or alternatively - if you change this, please ensure that you add "savefile" or "search" boot parameter).

And indeed, the xinvaders and pipepanic build recipes comes from you - thank you for that :)

@neerajkolte: your USB card is magical :) There is no change on the install script between 631 and 700; and there is no change in the way 700 is installed. You can even do this: if you think that 631 installer works, then install 631. After that, *replace* the initrd and vmlinuz with the ones from 700 - et voila, you've got 700 installation.

@Jaybot7, GKM - thanks for the kind remarks. We're glad that it works for you.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

stemsee

#47 Post by stemsee »

jamesbond wrote:@Billtoo, perhaps because CONFIG_HID_APPLE is not enabled in the current kernel. Will advise kirk to enable this in the next kernel build. .
Try the 3.15.5 kernel I provided here! I tend to include everything!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing

You will need edit the initrd and change the modules.

Billtoo

#48 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="jamesbond"]@Billtoo, perhaps because CONFIG_HID_APPLE is not enabled in the current kernel. Will advise kirk to enable this in the next kernel build.
/quote]

Here's what lsusb shows in Debian testing:

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05ac:1006 Apple, Inc. Hub in Aluminum Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 05ac:024f Apple, Inc.

EDIT:This is on a different desktop pc.

Billtoo

#49 Post by Billtoo »

stemsee wrote: Try the 3.15.5 kernel I provided here! I tend to include everything!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GhZV ... sp=sharing
You will need edit the initrd and change the modules.
Thanks but that's probably beyond me so I'll wait for kirk.

BHINTZ

#50 Post by BHINTZ »

I am really pleased with 700 - I have even been able to access amazon prime after installing firefox aurora.

The only disappointment has been suspend. It doesn't seem to work at either shutdown or lid closing.

Great work.

bob