Fatdog64 700 alpha1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Jim1911

Running Windows 32bit Software using Wine

#106 Post by Jim1911 »

For those who are interested in running 32bit Windows software. I used version2013's latest wine-1.7.23-i486_v1.1.pet which works well with Fatdog64 700 after conversion to an sfs. Also required is the Fatdog64 600 32bit-slacko-3.sfs. I also converted version2013's wine_extras-v2.pet to an sfs which is also useful in the Wine setup.

Jim

kirk

#107 Post by kirk »

OldChap,

Checked out the latest stable source code of boinc and compiled it. You'll need these two packages to test it out:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/packag ... 6_64-1.txz

Download those two then right click on them and select install package. Boinc installs to /usr/share/BOINC and there's a menu entry under Personal in the main menu for the boinc manager. This is just the client not the server.

It launches and lets you select projects that it gets from the internet, but that's as far as I've tested it. Let me know if it actually works. I haven't made the updates for it to show up in Gslapt (the package manager).

Illutorium

Re: Running Windows 32bit Software using Wine

#108 Post by Illutorium »

Jim1911 wrote:For those who are interested in running 32bit Windows software. I used version2013's latest wine-1.7.23-i486_v1.1.pet which works well with Fatdog64 700 after conversion to an sfs. Also required is the Fatdog64 600 32bit-slacko-3.sfs. I also converted version2013's wine_extras-v2.pet to an sfs which is also useful in the Wine setup.

Jim
in a v2.1 is will be works too...
When If you want running a 64bit Windows Apps (Available from My Old post at a "Wine64 - Only for Fatdog" [Incoming I will be move with a Newest account] that's a depend to change a name folder from a 32bit Wine (Because that's a create build is will be a 32bit Libraries development When If I will be tried when It's goes to be end at a "Error" When that's goes only be create a 64bit instead.),That's must be a rename from ".wine" to ".wine32" [at a /root/ with a Ctrl+H] and That's My build doesn't be depend a 32bit libraries because that's a Native. (as a --enable-win64)
When I tested with a Newest Wine64... 7zip and Firefox (Nightly) at 5.2 Kernel from Wine is will be works around...

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#109 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded and compiled cairo-dock-3.3.2.tar.gz and it's working
well although I need to learn more about it.
I find that if you move your SDHC card or flash drive from one pc to
another some applications that were compiled won't work on the new pc
until they are compiled again, Goggles Music Manager,Mplayer,and
Smplayer in this case.
The other pc had nvidia graphics and this pc has intel graphics.
Attachments
cairodock.jpg
(59.12 KiB) Downloaded 1457 times

eowens2

#110 Post by eowens2 »

Fatdog,

I note that the touchpad drivers for Acer C720 Chromebook were included in the 700 alpha1 version of Fatdog64.

The touchpad works well on my Acer C710 Chromebook OOTB.

Thank you!

Billtoo

Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#111 Post by Billtoo »

After hammering on my SDHC card install for a few days I formatted the
card and installed Fatdog64 700a1 once again.
I spent a couple of hours compiling the parts of xfce4 and it's working
well...Yay! :)

EDIT: I added cairo dock and it's working well now.
Attachments
cairodock.jpg
(58.61 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
hardinfo.jpg
(47.89 KiB) Downloaded 946 times
screenshot.jpg
(12.54 KiB) Downloaded 983 times

neerajkolte

Re: Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#112 Post by neerajkolte »

Billtoo wrote:I added cairo dock and it's working well now.
Hmmm.. cairo dock looks like wbar in basic setup. But I hear it's mighty customizable. I have downloaded it's .tar.gz files. Could you share how you compiled it, so I might also try.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

Billtoo

Re: Fatdog64 700 alpha1

#113 Post by Billtoo »

neerajkolte wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I added cairo dock and it's working well now.
Hmmm.. cairo dock looks like wbar in basic setup. But I hear it's mighty customizable. I have downloaded it's .tar.gz files. Could you share how you compiled it, so I might also try.

Thanks.

- Neeraj.
I unpacked cairo-dock-3.3.2.tar.gz to a directory and then opened the
terminal in that directory.

cmake CMakeLists.txt -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr
make -j4
make install

When finished start cairo-dock and right click on it to do the
configuration.

I don't have any plugins installed,(I don't really have a clue how to add
them) I'm just using the basic dock for launching applications, you can drag items
from the fatdog menu to the dock and then they can be launched from the dock.

Mint 17 or Debian testing would have the full cairo-dock with plugins
available.

EDIT:Here's cairo-dock in my Debian Wheezy 686 pae install, all the plugins
are available in the configuration screen.
Attachments
cairodock.jpg
(31.62 KiB) Downloaded 1111 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 17 Aug 2014, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

live

#114 Post by live »

Hi,

First run of "Fatdog64 700 alpha1" on Core5, works like a charm for me, didn't try any external packages such as Google Earth, Skype, Kdenlive, etc.

Suggestions:
* A start-up config, esp: keyboard and internet connexion, sound speaker and microphone configuration.
* for people like me who uses an external monitor from a laptop also a prompt up config for that (people might not know where to find it)
* my desktop monitor 1366x768, my external monitor (1280x1024) => icons to the right of the screen do not show-up on external monitor (same with Precise), should be placed <1024 px.

Missing audio extension support, i.e. no default opening for:
.m4a & .m4b
.opus
.ogg if audio codec is opus
.flac
.eac3

Quid:
* no battery alarm (xbatarlarm)
* calculator Calcoo (found it small buttons, I prefer gCalc as in Precise)
* ROX default with thumbnail both image & video preview
* termit-2.3.0 as replacement terminal
* I encourage you to try to replace AbiWord & Gnumeric with OpenOffice 2.2.x.
Why this oldy?
* Fast, not as today heavy LibreOffice
* Additional features, such as .ppt support
* Light

Consider some updates:
* ntfs-3g to 2014.2.15 (works for me on Precise)
http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history

* ffmpeg & x264lib to Aug 2014
x264 benefit noticeable encoding gain since 2014-04
ffmpeg 2.3.x does offer new interesting filters & codec support

Many thanks for all your work!
Last edited by live on Fri 15 Aug 2014, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

Gobbi

#115 Post by Gobbi »

I'm using a wireless keyboard Logitech K400 with my old laptop, through a wireless unifying device - it's useful with the touchpad incorporated.
I noticed that if I forget the optical drive tray opened during the boot process - let's say I choose to boot from the hard drive - it is not recognized until I restart X from the laptop's keyboard.

Another bothering thing is that after successfully using Pburn - the progress window doesn't shut itself down . In fact it is difficult to shut down . I didn't find the specific process in Task Manager , so I restarted X again.

Then there is the GPG Keys which Gslapt does not accept and so I can not install new packages through it even with fresh downloaded ISO.
I saw the file in the repo but Gslapt does not offer the choice to load directly the file . Can anybody help me to load it somehow :?: ( changing a file , adding to a directory , from the terminal )

eowens2

#116 Post by eowens2 »

Dragging and dropping icons of often-used menu items to the desktop, thus enabling a shortcut, is very convenient.

Is there any way that this process can be extended to Control Panel programs?

smokey01

#117 Post by smokey01 »

Un-installing built in packages with the package manager seems to work but it does not remove the .desktop file so the menu entry remains.

jamesbond

#118 Post by jamesbond »

@billtoo - you can try starting xfce4 with "xwin xfwm4".

@live - thank you for the suggestions.
"my desktop monitor 1366x768, my external monitor (1280x1024) => icons to the right of the screen do not show-up on external monitor (same with Precise), should be placed <1024 px" - I presume you refer to the panel tray icons. You can do a right-click and change the width from 100% to 1024 pixel.

"I encourage you to try to replace AbiWord & Gnumeric with OpenOffice 2.2.x."
I can't find 64-bit version of openoffice 2.2.x, and even if I could, I remember that it's XLS handling was a bit rough round the edge (gnumeric is much better in that respect).

@gobbi - I've removed the package signing for now. It doesn't work in alpha1 (it will on future versions)

For your keyboard: try doing "modprobe hid-logitech-dj"

I will look into pburn.

@eowens2 - you can't do it from Control Panel, unfortunately. But you can launch Rox and go to /usr/share/applications and drag-and-drop the desktop files from there to the desktop directly.

@smokey01 - try uninstall "desktop-files-override" package too.

Note - one can always restore the removed built-in packages by running "fatdog-restore-basepkg.sh".

EDIT: clarification.
Last edited by jamesbond on Sat 16 Aug 2014, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

#119 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:@billtoo - you can try starting xfce4 with "xwin xfwm4".
In xfce4-410:

Xwin xfwm4 works better for a single monitor setup but startxfce4 works
better for a dual monitor setup.

When xwin xfwm4 is used shift prtsc works to capture the screen but
logout doesn't work,also can't have different background on each
monitor.

When using startxfce4 is used shift prtsc doesn't work but logout does
allowing poweroff from the prompt.

Anyways, Fatdog64 700a1 is amazing :)

Thanks
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 1084 times

Gobbi

#120 Post by Gobbi »

jamesbond wrote: I've removed the package signing for now. It doesn't work in alpha1 (it will on future versions)
For your keyboard: try doing "modprobe hid-logitech-dj"
I will look into pburn.
Thank's jamesbond , Gslapt is working now :!:

Doing "modprobe hid-logitech-dj" gave no answer ... Anyway the glitch was only if the optical drive tray was opened during the boot , otherwise - no problem .

I found that sandbox and lxc open directly with respective 'xiwin' file in /usr/share/sandbox and usr/share/sandbox/lxc . I couldn't do it in Fatdog-630 ... It would be nice to have them in the Main Menu ...
However using this way these tools gave as result the fact that after the first restart of X in fatdog , the changes ( I only changed GTK theme , Openbox and the wallpaper ) passed from sandbox or lxc to fatdog . I did it 3 times on two different laptops with the same result.

Now, did anybody try to make a remaster Fatdog700a1 :?:
Previously I did one , took the two files for a frugal install on an hdd and it ran OK . But I could not boot from the DVD . I remastered then 3 more times different versions of FD700a1 . One of them had both initrd and vmlinuz corrupted . I couldn't boot from neither of those DVD's on the two laptops mentioned above . Error : Failed to load Idlinux.c32
I think it should be an error the way the ISO is packed , since it is working in frugal install. I'm posting from one of them...

jamesbond

#121 Post by jamesbond »

@billtoo - thanks for the info. There must be something that startxfce4 does which xwin doesn't. I wonder why shit-prtsc not working though, does xfce4 uses it for something else? Did sven popup a message telling that shirt-prtsc is already used for something else?

@gobbi - the remaster has a problem, indeed, as we're using newer syslinux there are more files to copy other than just isolinux and vesamenu. And indeed it is the ISO build; the initrd/vmlinuz itself is fine. Fixed for the next release.

I confirmed the issue with pburn, I'll try to update to latest pburn and see if it helps.

Can you please clarify what you mean by "I found that sandbox and lxc open directly with respective 'xiwin' file in /usr/share/sandbox and usr/share/sandbox/lxc"?

I will look at "However using this way these tools gave as result the fact that after the first restart of X in fatdog , the changes ( I only changed GTK theme , Openbox and the wallpaper ) passed from sandbox or lxc to fatdog.". This is not supposed to happen.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Gobbi

#122 Post by Gobbi »

jamesbond - reading better the documentation about sandbox and lxc I understood I accidentally had used them impropperly . I've should opened them from the terminal .
I was curious , simply left clicking the executables files'xwin' from the folders mentioned ... The new desktop emulation just pop up and I thought this was meant to be ( a next level :idea: of those tools , so to speak...) . Only after I saw that what happened inside the emulation affects the host OS it crossed my mind that maybe I just used them differently that I should ...

Billtoo

#123 Post by Billtoo »

jamesbond wrote:@billtoo - thanks for the info. There must be something that startxfce4 does which xwin doesn't. I wonder why shit-prtsc not working though, does xfce4 uses it for something else? Did sven popup a message telling that shirt-prtsc is already used for something else?
xwin xfce4-session works better on this xfce4-4.8 that I'm using now.
logout and shirt-prtsc (:)) both work on this dual monitor setup.
Razor panel comes up too but I moved it to monitor 2, autohide if I leave it on the same monitor as cairo-dock, or move cairo dock etc.

I don't get a popup with startxfce4 when I shift-prtsc.

Thanks
Attachments
razorpanel.jpg
(17.28 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
screenshot.jpg
(35.51 KiB) Downloaded 800 times

OldChap

#124 Post by OldChap »

kirk wrote:OldChap,

Checked out the latest stable source code of boinc and compiled it. You'll need these two packages to test it out:

Download those two then right click on them and select install package. Boinc installs to /usr/share/BOINC and there's a menu entry under Personal in the main menu for the boinc manager. This is just the client not the server.

It launches and lets you select projects that it gets from the internet, but that's as far as I've tested it. Let me know if it actually works. I haven't made the updates for it to show up in Gslapt (the package manager).
You seem to have things done just fine kirk.

I finally have some time and did a fresh start on my laptop and proceeded as per your instructions above. Also used cli to start the manager and all went well attaching to a project.

The client is currently running ok and the manager too however in the terminal I used for the manager I see a warning:

Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

This does not yet seem to be critical as things are still running but I thought it would be something that you should know.

Now to my next question (copied from beginners questions)

This relates to what to do when I shut down. I only saw an option to save to cd last time I went to shut down and now that, with a couple of small issues, things are running I am hoping to make this a totally portable setup which I can run from any rig.

What did I miss last time around?

kirk

#125 Post by kirk »

I finally have some time and did a fresh start on my laptop and proceeded as per your instructions above. Also used cli to start the manager and all went well attaching to a project.
Great.
Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-fcitx.so: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Nothing to worry about, fcitx is for internationalization input. It's in the package manager. You probably don't want it.
This relates to what to do when I shut down. I only saw an option to save to cd last time I went to shut down ....
I've been using a save folder for so long I've forgotten what's in the dialog to create a save file. I'll take a look this week.