Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 03:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Opera-developer_24 in Slacko64 - 64 bit 6.0 alpha
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2014, 22:44    Post subject:  Opera-developer_24 in Slacko64 - 64 bit 6.0 alpha
Subject description: Easy install and operation

Yesterday I became aware that Opera was back in the Linux game. They have released opera-developer_24.0.1558.3_amd64.deb for ubuntu - debian. This uses Googles Chromium as a base. Opera was my main browser for many years so I had to try this out. Very Happy

Its 64bit so I downloaded and installed 01micko's Slacko64 - 64 bit 6.0 alpha. Once up and running I clicked on opera-developer_24.0.1558.3_amd64.deb. Puppy asked if I wanted to install and I said YES!

There was an internet menu entry but I've dealt with non-puppy packages and dependency hell before, so I opened a terminal, typed "opera-developer" and got
Code:
# opera-developer
[0723/105206:FATAL:setuid_sandbox_client.cc(283)] The SUID sandbox helper binary was found, but is not configured correctly. Rather than run without sandboxing I'm aborting now. You need to make sure that /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera-developer/opera_sandbox is owned by root and has mode 4755.
Aborted
So I typed in
Code:
#chmod 4755 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera-developer/opera_sandbox
Retyped "opera-developer" and it started, no missing dependencies, no other fuss of any kind. I'm typing in it now. What a surprise, Chromium was much more difficult and was over 60MB. Opera is 34MB.

Once I had it running checked out all the usuals, reset homepage, added Startpage search engine (although I haven't figured how to set it as default) and place "Gmail this" on the bookmark bar. I investigated how to install flash (it needs pepperflash) and ended up downloading chromium-pepperflash-plugin-14.0.0.145-x86_64-1alien.txz. In order to get it working I had to replace the symlink /usr/bin/opera-developer with a script of the same name containing
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera-developer/opera --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib64/PepperFlash/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=14.0.0.145
Once that was in place I restarted Opera and started playing flash games. Pepperflash is a little slow on my machine but much faster than when I tried it in Chromium.

So far so good. I just remembered that Chromium has a PDF reader, libpdf.so. I'll give that a try next and get back to you.

Cheers, J

Last edited by jrb on Wed 23 Jul 2014, 23:45; edited 1 time in total
jrb

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jul 2014, 23:44    Post subject:  

I got Opera-developer to recognize and install the PDF reader plug-in by adding
Code:
--plugin-path=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera-developer/libpdf.so
at the end of /usr/bin/opera-developer and it tried to open a pdf from the internet but sadly failed. Sad Oh well, I'm sure the Opera developers are working on it.

Edit: Embarassed Well, once I downloaded a 64bit version of libpdf.so it worked.

Opera couldn't seem to find it where it installed at /usr/lib64/chromium/libpdf.so so I moved it to /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera-developer/libpdf.so and used the script as above and it registered and worked although the fonts need a little work.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 02 Aug 2014, 22:59    Post subject:  

unnanounced version: http://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera-developer/24.0.1558.21/linux/opera-developer_24.0.1558.21_amd64.deb
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: