Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
MARX5

Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?

#1 Post by MARX5 »

so I go to the download link --

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20L ... elease.htm

look at the content on that page -- are you kidding me?

wtf am I supposed to choose and when I see the "folder" (at the various links) what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn link to puppy linux -- you click on it and it downloads?

typical of software geeks to NOT keep it simple stupid and I actually write code myself.

I don't care if you tell me HOW to install it at this point -- I'm not interested.

Semme

#2 Post by Semme »

:roll: Typical. It's usually the folks that claim to know something that don't really know anything.

That you're no longer interested is going to spare us all a potentially unpleasant exchange.

C'est la vie!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I agree... thats stupidly messy for anyone new to linux.

puppy ... the beginners distro for anyone who is not a beginner :D

mike

MARX5

#4 Post by MARX5 »

afraid to admit the truth.

I program in assembly language with microcontrollers and have written windows net apps

BUT -- you can't save people time by making things easy.

that is TYPICAL of those who think that, for some reason, what they do is propietary. got it ? (let's make it troublesome to make my geek fluids flow)

01micko

#5 Post by 01micko »

http://01micko.com/slacko57/download.html
Which file to download?

In the "List of Mirrors" above choose a location that is reasonably close to your geographical location. On clicking one of those links you are presented with a number of files. Puppy is distributed in ISO image format represented by the .iso file extension. That is, it's an image of a CDROM which can be burnt to CD or DVD. There are 2 files that have that extension. Click one and your browser will offer to download. Save it to a location on your hard drive.
There are 2 other important files for new users to consider. These are the .md5.txt files which open in the browser revealing a long string of code. This is the "checksum" which is a digital signature. When you download the file and it is complete it is recommended to test the checksum. In Linux this is done by the commandline with the command md5sum.

Code: Select all

# md5sum slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso
it returns:

Code: Select all

9ab896cfa0d915afe7ad2f1f4c2042b2 slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso
which is exactly what the slacko-5.7-NO-pae.iso.md5.txt file contains. If there is not a match you will need to redownload the iso file. Be sure you have the correct md5.txt for your particular iso file. There are 3rd party tools available for Windows that perform the same action in a GUI. I recommend WinMD5free, which is of course freeware.
I'm not in control of the main puppylinux.com download page. Barry is awol for some time now so I might ask raffy if we can host a download page on puppylinux.org with similar simple instructions - translated too.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

MARX5

#6 Post by MARX5 »

just grabbed lubuntu

a cinch

MARX5

#7 Post by MARX5 »

01micko

I appreciate your effort but what I'm saying is that you shouldn't have to go through the trouble -- right?

of course I know I need an ISO file so how about a simple link that takes me right there without all the choices and gibberiish?

01micko

#8 Post by 01micko »

MARX5 wrote:[snip]..without all the choices and gibberiish?
You want a youtube video? (seriously). I have noticed most people avoid reading these days - at their peril.

James C

#9 Post by James C »

*NEW* Slacko Puppy (Slackware-Compatible Build)

March 9, 2014 - The developers group led by 01micko has released the latest build of Slacko Puppy, version 5.7.

Open ibiblio.org folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.

Open nluug.nl folder of Slacko 5.7 and choose your preferred ISO*.
Let's see, click on one of the two links provided. Check.

Goes to folder at Ibiblio. A big choice of two iso files. (see screenie)

Click on desired iso and download.

Damn that's just so difficult to figure out. :lol:
Attachments
ibiblio.JPG
(55.91 KiB) Downloaded 785 times

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

You want an easy download link.
Here it is.
This is the latest version of an official Puppy.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/di ... .0-PAE.iso

Now do you know what to do with it?

The version web site is here:
http://slacko.01micko.com/index.html

Puppy is not like other operating systems, with one size fits all.
There are probably 200 plus versions you could choose to use. Each one is different in it's own way.

Puppy is developed and supported by people all over the world as a hobby not a job. They work on it when they want to and how they want to. It is not controlled by a company and people do not get paid.

The storage space, for storing and distributing Puppy software, is provided by people for free. So, you will not find one central location.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#11 Post by 01micko »

James C wrote:Damn that's just so difficult to figure out. :lol:
Yup.

Download...

mostly_lurking

#12 Post by mostly_lurking »

I'm pretty sure the original poster could have found and downloaded the proper file, being the smart guy he is... he was just looking for something to bitch about... without really making any constructive suggestions. ("Just give me a single download link" won't do, since there is more than one Puppy version.)

However, the download page is really a bit messy. It could probably include a not-too-technical explanation of the differences between the various "flavors" of Puppy (Slacko, Lucid, Precise, Wary, ...), and their hardware requirements, so that new users can decide which one suits them best. And maybe direct links to download the ISO files, for people who are allergic to folders. :D And links to step-by-step walkthroughs for transforming the ISO into a working system.

That said, I doubt that people who expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter and rage-quit at the smallest obstacle will have much fun with a Linux system... or with computers in general.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#13 Post by Flash »

mostly_lurking wrote:... It could probably include a not-too-technical explanation of the differences between the various "flavors" of Puppy (Slacko, Lucid, Precise, Wary, ...), and their hardware requirements, so that new users can decide which one suits them best.
The problem with that is, it presumes there is someone, or several people, who know the various "flavors" of Puppy well enough to say what their relative strengths and weaknesses are, never mind their hardware requirements. Even then, it would be a monumental job which would be accurate for about a day. Barry may have been the best person for that job, and even he only knew well the "official" Puppies that he created. It's similar to the blind men trying to describe an elephant. Each one can only describe the part he can feel. Nobody can see the whole thing. There really are too many Puppies that can be downloaded and no coordination between them. Rather than everyone pulling Puppy in his own direction, leaving the community in tattered fragments, wouldn't it be better if everyone concentrated on making a few really good versions of Puppy? That would make it a lot easier to deal with complainers like MARX5. :wink:

Ted Dog

#14 Post by Ted Dog »

mikeb wrote:I agree... thats stupidly messy for anyone new to linux.

puppy ... the beginners distro for anyone who is not a beginner :D

mike
No truer words spoken. :wink: Sometimes you point out what everyone knows but hopes its not real. BK did his best to baby proof his distro but running in root with a the tools to do so much novice damage was something I like about puppylinux I wish he was able to bring both aims together. If anyone could it would be BK.

Dang I miss that guy... :cry:

sorry for my emotions my father passed and this time of year I get all sentimental.

saintless

Re: Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?

#15 Post by saintless »

MARX5 wrote:...wtf am I supposed to choose and when I see the "folder" (at the various links) what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn link to puppy linux -- you click on it and it downloads?...
Good questions! Here are some more:

wtf am I supposed to choose when I enter in this PC shop, what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn shop for ONE PC -- you take it and leave?

Why do they waste my time forcing me to choose?

mavrothal

Re: Seriously? Which Puppy do I download?

#16 Post by mavrothal »

saintless wrote: Good questions! Here are some more:

wtf am I supposed to choose when I enter in this PC shop, what good does that do me?

how about you have ONE god damn shop for ONE PC -- you take it and leave?

Why do they waste my time forcing me to choose?
Unfortunately there is good indication that your questions are valid as the most valuable IT company indicates

:cry:

But the fact of the matter is that puppylinux.org is far from a good entry point for Puppy Linux.
I do not know who is (not) keeping it up, but I would rather have a KISS page and leave the rest to the forum or wiki/a.

The problem is: too much work and no glory. So I'm afraid it will be with us for some time and marxists ( :shock: :P ) will rightly complain.

Latter: Maybe this will help (if people really believe we have a problem...)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

bark_bark_bark

#17 Post by bark_bark_bark »

the problem is, that most people don't want to read. This is especially true for people born in this millennium.

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

When I go to the download sites of the mainstream Linuxes, there are lots of choices too. They just have bigger, prettier buttons.

RSH

#19 Post by RSH »

the problem is, that most people don't want to read. This is especially true for people born in this millennium.
Yes, seems they very often missing the ability to read - and to understand also.
You want a youtube video? (seriously).
Doesn't help either.

Got some similar experience some time ago on SARA-B and its interactive Video.

MARX5's wish seems to be a "One Size fits all" issue.

Isn't Windows supposed to be?
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

anikin

#20 Post by anikin »

I'd understand most of the above comments, had they been directed at someone, who's been here for a while. But MARX5 is a newcomer. Yes, could have been a bit less irritated, but nonetheless, does he deserve all the patronizing and cheerful sarcasm, that's been dumped on him? Why not just say hello and welcome to Puppyland, MARX5 and give him a chance to better introduce himself?

Lighten up, folks.

An excessive knowledge of Marxism is a sign of a misspent youth
- John McCarthy