Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free? (answered: No)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
technosaurus

#31 Post by technosaurus »

$9.99? if you want audiophiles to take it seriously -> $499.99 with a $99.99 sale price and a 50% discount for students.

If you have original code/whatever included with it, one model that I have seen to raise funds is to have a kickstarter style campaign to release code, artwork, multimedia to the public domain once $XXX is reached.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

stemsee

#32 Post by stemsee »

l0wt3ch wrote:My kernels are often updated, but I don't advertise it because there's no easy way to upgrade,
Checkout github woof-ce kernel kit. Using fatdog style initrd and vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs (zdrv_*.sfs) Shinobar's initrd is better; is the easiest way to upgrade kernels!

Also note some recent MBs do not boot off of usb-3.0 dongles in usb-2.0 sockets but are readable after boot... in case!

l0wt3ch

#33 Post by l0wt3ch »

technosaurus wrote:$9.99? if you want audiophiles to take it seriously -> $499.99 with a $99.99 sale price and a 50% discount for students.
Thanks. Pricing is a good question. I'm going to change the price of the download version to something a bit higher, but less than half the price of the usb version. I actually really like your suggestion, and imagine you're right, but...

l0wt3ch

#34 Post by l0wt3ch »

stemsee wrote:Checkout github woof-ce kernel kit. Using fatdog style initrd and vmlinuz and kernel-modules.sfs (zdrv_*.sfs) Shinobar's initrd is better; is the easiest way to upgrade kernels!
I'll look into it!

Thanks!

stemsee

#35 Post by stemsee »

I am trying to buy the digital download but paypal says the website has a problem!

l0wt3ch

#36 Post by l0wt3ch »

Please wait, the iso hasn't been uploaded yet!

edit: I've changed the website to say "coming soon".

darkcity

#37 Post by darkcity »

l0wt3ch wrote:OK! This has been up for 10 days, and it's time to close the poll. The results are (in order of appearance):

FOR: cthisbear 8-bit RSH puppyluvr ciento mcewanw stemsee Deacon
AGAINST: l0wt3ch starhawk matiasbatero darkcity

The yeas have it, 2 to 1.

So there will be another commercial release of Studio 13.37. Stay tuned to this channel for further details. :D
Please don't misrepresent me. My post was neither a nay or a yay, but a comment.

Deacon

#38 Post by Deacon »

l0wt3ch wrote:OK! This has been up for 10 days, and it's time to close the poll. The results are (in order of appearance):

FOR: cthisbear 8-bit RSH puppyluvr ciento mcewanw stemsee Deacon
AGAINST: l0wt3ch starhawk matiasbatero darkcity

The yeas have it, 2 to 1.

So there will be another commercial release of Studio 13.37. Stay tuned to this channel for further details. :D
Nice! And the video is great! -- just sent you a message.

Pelo

new version 2017

#39 Post by Pelo »

new version 2017
Sure i will not pay for computing. just for wireless ADSL is enough, and for a brand new battery, quite expensive.

bigpup

#40 Post by bigpup »

GPL2 and 3 apply.
It is that simple.
Follow and comply with the requirements.

As to paying for it.
This is a good example of what is considered acceptable to charge for the service of providing Linux OS's
Osdisc
https://www.osdisc.com/products/puppy

Red Hat is the big Linux OS that charges money.
But you are paying for technical support not the OS and other services that require physical servers, repositories, cloud storage, etc.... that cost money to provide.
A company using Red Hat is basically paying Red HAT to be their computer technical department.

The free to use version is CentOS. It is exactly the same as Redhat Enterprise Linux, except branding information and subscription has been removed and CentOS community re-pack the RHEL packages into CentOS.
That thing is a 4.3GB iso :shock: :roll:
Well, the small version is only 998MB :lol:
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

wiak

#41 Post by wiak »

Work is work and asking to be paid for it is perfectly okay. The market decides.

Size of distro download/hard disk storage space is all but irrelevant nowadays. I have no idea why people worry about needing 1 GB or 5 GB to store a distribution on their harddrive. Even 10 year old computers support hard drives of 100 GB and more and can even quite cheaply by 32GB or 64GB usb flash sticks. Most distros can be configured to use efficient window manager and not run too many services so can run perfecly fine and fast on pretty old machines. Low RAM of less than 2GB is the only major concern and that effects all distros, large and small, near enough the same - the issue is generally the browser filling up the RAM when loading RAM-hungry webpages such as Gmail.

Whether a Pup is 100MB or 300MB is no big deal.

wiak

l0wt3ch

#42 Post by l0wt3ch »

Little-known fact: "Redhat Enterprise Linux Server Entry Level, Self Support" costs $349 and you get ZERO support: https://www.redhat.com/en/store/red-hat ... ku=RH00005

So Redhat doesn't just sell support. That is a myth.

Did you know I went to see Richard Stallman speak back in university? You should read up on what he says about selling GPL'ed software. "Richard Stallman approves."

bigpup

#43 Post by bigpup »

"Redhat Enterprise Linux Server Entry Level, Self Support" is still paying for access to Red Hat services.
Only no hand holding.
That is to me a high price just to get access to their other resources!
One Example:
Can I use RedHat without subscription?
Yes, you have to have an active RHEL subscription to download packages from RHEL's repositories. If your machine has never been subscribed, or the subscription is expired, you will not be able to use any of the repositories provided by RHEL.Sep 9, 2013
The Red Hat OS is still offered as a free download as Centos.

Again, follow the rules and requirements of GPL 2 and 3.

Speaking of free.
Anyone that has a Windows 7 OS can still get the Windows 10 update free.
Just did one.
I was going to post a topic on how, but this is Puppy Linux forum.
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 22 Jul 2019, 07:51, edited 4 times in total.
YaPI(any iso installer)

darry19662018

#44 Post by darry19662018 »

l0wt3ch is right there is no problem with making money with Open source Software. Only problem is those that moan about said person earning anything (as long as they follow what ever GPL their software is licensed under.
Puppy Linux Wiki: [url]http://wikka.puppylinux.com/HomePage[/url]

[url]https://freemedia.neocities.org/[/url]

bigpup

#45 Post by bigpup »

This will really muddy the issue, but give you some good info about charging for free software.
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/selling.html

You have the right to charge a price for free software.
I have a right to not pay it. :shock:

If it is using Puppy Linux as the base OS.
We all want some of that money.
We all worked on the Puppy OS. :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
YaPI(any iso installer)

p310don

#46 Post by p310don »

Refer to this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 4&t=116043

Free software cannot be trusted is a commonly held belief with the greater unwashed masses. Charge for it, it must be better.

Lowtech, make as much money as you can (which is probably very little as all musician's are broke). Just make sure to always acknowledge all those that helped along the way (which I've seen you do).

l0wt3ch

#47 Post by l0wt3ch »

Ya... "make money".

Maybe someday. LOL

Honestly, I wish I'd never went to school, and never wasted my time doing any of the things I've done with my life. I should have spent it doing something hands-on and productive, that anyone can do. Like mowing lawns. If I had spent all this time mowing lawns instead of computer programming, I would be rich, have my own business, my own fucking lawnmower - top of the line. Every hour or two somebody would give me fifty dollars, and I'd just have to walk around with a lawn mower all day. How did education, or the rest of my life, benefit me? I could have just mowed lawns. I would have been so much more successful.

cthisbear

#48 Post by cthisbear »

" I could have just mowed lawns.
I would have been so much more successful. "

Which I still do occasionally.
Some for money...all for exercise.

Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free?............... No way.
With the freebies you re-released people had a chance to test it out
with no comeback...done and dusted.

I only hope that sales start to climb.

Cheers.....Chris.

l0wt3ch

#49 Post by l0wt3ch »

Funny thing is, we're on the third release now, so v2 is free. Pretty sure I released this for free quite a while ago.

Anything's possible, I guess. Could be walking down the street, and find a whole bag of money, just sitting there. Probable?

ciento

#50 Post by ciento »

The rpi users, Blender 3D raytracers, and Black Magic
video editors might be groups more receptive than
the average mac/win swilling wannabbe music producers,

rpi dealing with limited hardware, the 3D and video editing
folks just needing to maximise and re-maximise
their systems to compete.

Also, targetting the very highest selling android tablets,
name brands like Nook and Kindall, that soccer moms
have no fear of, could be a niche, an anti-spyware platform
for home-school and charter schools students, trying to get educated