Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 22 Sep 2014, 06:38
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free? (answered: No)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:21    Post_subject:  Should Studio 13.37 v2 be free? (answered: No)  

Hey everybody. It's me, l0wt3ch. I've put together a new version of Studio 13.37. It's really cool, and I'm pretty excited about it.

But here's the question - should I sell it?

I want to hear your thoughts. Here are mine:

I'd kind of like to release it for free, because it's so awesome I'd like to see as many people as possible use it.

But on the other hand, why abandon a perfectly good online business? I still have unsold usb sticks, a website that gets a bit of traffic, a dedicated YouTube channel, and a support forum. I'd still be free to give away free copies to friends. So why not keep trying? The last version of Studio 13.37 managed to get featured in Recording Magazine. Maybe this time it will go even further, who knows? I could do a lot of good in the world if I had a successful FLOSS-based company. And I think I've figured out how to get around the problems I discussed with you before.

Another thing is, it would be a disaster if nobody ended up using it, and that jerk over at DistroWatch probably won't cover it, so who's going to hear about it? So what's the point of giving it away for free?

Anyway. Please post your thoughts below.

Thanks. Very Happy

Edited_times_total
cthisbear

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:32    Post_subject:  

Hey mate!.

You and I love to disagree....but!

Sell it.
I would like to see you succeed with this.

You have released plenty of freebies in the past.

You're not making a fortune...I doubt that you've made bugger all.

And you also released your older Studio paid kit here for free.

Enough goodwill....cheers ...Chris.
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2014, 21:59    Post_subject:  

Thanks Chris!

Not sure what happened with the poll, and the duplicate options. I've PM'ed Flash; maybe he can fix it.
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 21 Jul 2014, 22:12    Post_subject:  

I don't believe Linux should be sold.

I can sort of see selling tech support along side Linux... but when you blur the lines, or make Linux an actual product (charging money for the distro/release/etc itself) you're doing everyone a disservice, in my opinion.

Remember that Linux is about freedom. There wouldn't be a Linux still, I think, if it weren't about freedom. That's what sets us apart -- the idea that we are in charge of our software, not anyone else anywhere else. We are all devs and we are all users -- all at once. If you're using something and you find a bug, you're supposed to report it. That's how you "pay" for using it -- you help improve it if you can see a way, however small -- even if it's by complaining about missing or broken functionality.

When you insert money into that, the whole system self-destructs -- because -- aside from the fact that you're now paying for the software twice -- you inherently are regulating who can and cannot use that software. You CANNOT have a pay-for distro that everyone can use wherever they want however they want whoever they are. The two are irrevocably and unalterably mutually exclusive. Your customers have to pay to use your distro, and no matter how low you set the bar: someone, somewhere, will not be able to pay up, and right then and there you just lost the OS war completely.

Why do I say that last part? That you just lost the OS war? Because it's true. The one big thing about Linux, that's true of all Linuces (except the ones that have lost the OS war already) -- the Grand Unifying Theory Of Linux is that bit about freedom -- anyone can use it, anywhere, any (legit) way, period. (Obviously we don't condone illegal stuff here! But neither does MS, so it's sort of beside the point.) If you start restricting access to your Linux -- if you make a not-free Linux distro -- you are not any better than Microsoft or Apple (well, their OS side, anyhow) at that point. You're just another guy with another all-proprietary OS that's charging way too much for their product.

Having tossed my $0.02 into the pool, I'll step down off the soapbox and give someone else a turn.

8-bit

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:11    Post_subject:  

With the talk about linux Oses being free, I see that some are not.
And even though Studio may have Puppy as the underlying base, could it be designed as an add on application that one could use on any version of Linux; not just Puppy.
Designed as an app that could be used on any OS would help in marketability and also satisfy those that would like to buy and use it. But do not want to switch to another OS to be able to do so.
In the end, it is the developer's choice in if they decide to sell it or not.
And I would not worry about using some open source with it as even OSes that one has to purchase include some open source software in their releases.
RSH

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:22    Post_subject:  

Sell it!

If you don't want to have this used just as another ISO in a user's Puppy collection.

Also, it isn't just the OS that would be sold. It comes pre-installed on a usb-flash drive, so no download needed, no need to buy an extra usb-flash drive and no need to make installation at your own.

Should be worth some money...

Good luck,

RSH

Btw.: the poll is gone. Could not vote.

puppyluvr

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 00:48    Post_subject:  

Very Happy Hello,
You know where I stand.
If you are you.
Idk why, but I have some doubt.
Just a feeling...
I'm even on the dentists site.
So who am I l0wt3ch?

Puppy since 2.15CE...
ciento

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 01:20    Post_subject:  

I would stay commercial, let people use the old one
like a working demo or lite version, as many windows devs do.

After i/o in several discussions, I don't think people will respect your
work, if it is given away. People may like and praise something,
but respect seems to start at the wallet. The most popular dev
I can point to, Urs Heckman, of U-he Zebra/Diva fame,
has a mix of world-class products with afforable prices, along with several great free releases.
I get the impression that his popularity comes from
a consistant forum presence, where brevity is the essence of wit,
coupled with active product support.

I'd make sure Bitwig support gets high priority. It's installer
places the important things in /opt/bitwig-studio, and also creates
a .bitwig and /home/you/bitwig folders, to hold scripts, presets, and native linux vsts (which work well.)

Several skilled linux users have greatly expanded
use of the bitwig linux version. Even a new windows-vst bridge,
is getting a lot of work.

Sourcing some nice recycled i5 laptops, to preinstall your Studio on,
might work at some point, as long as you didn't need to buy
in 1000 part lots to get a great price.
Hope to $ee the new release make some .wavs!
Cheers
ciento

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 01:28    Post_subject:  

starhawk wrote:
I don't believe Linux should be sold.

What "we" use as linux, is crumbs brushed off the board-room tables
of Fortune 500 mega-corporations. Used underwear and socks.
Nothing more.
cthisbear

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 02:17    Post_subject:  

" I'm even on the dentists site. "

"""""""""

Rumour has it that l0wt3ch is making a Combo release
named Chopin.

You sits in the dental chair and relax to the melodies
while the dentist uses Announcers' older software to scan your teeth
for cavities.

Ah! technology...Chris.
mcewanw

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 02:44    Post_subject:  

Well I guess the components are GPL'd or similar, or most of them anyway, or someone else holds the license to any commercial software. The GPL allows you to sell your creation as long as you can also provide the sourcecode, which goes for most any of these Opensource licences. However, anyone who pays for it, according to the GPL can then host it for free, which is why trying to sell opensource software never really works out I think. Otherwise, I would say, sure, sell it, why is it that open source developers thousands of hours aren't worth a dime - just they aren't that's all...

And yes, it's true, we stand on the shoulders of giants always in the open source community, and what we add to that community is I suppose just a contribution, which we can choose to make or not make.

I've always felt that open source GPL type software keeps a lot of people out of a job, whereas Microsoft and so on provide employment for thousands of people, not that I otherwise feel positively towards Microsoft or similar. Programmers generally only make money if they work commercially and most often that would be on a commercial platform (though there are a few exceptions, I know).

William (an unemployed software/electronics engineer)

l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 07:31    Post_subject:  

Sorry about the poll, Flash deleted it. Have to do this with posts, I guess..

Thanks for the comments. Keep em coming!

EDIT: It's me, Flash can confirm! The Studio 13.37 email address is on file.
stemsee

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 13:22    Post_subject:  

Hi I0wt3ch

It's me the guy from England with the touchscreen problem. I bought your product and then you updated and I persuaded you to send me the update, which you did on another usb stick free of charge! I sold the first one one at no loss!! Your distro is a master piece! I wasted weeks, nay months trying to acheive similar results ... so I didn't mind paying! I would probably buy the latest one too if the updates satisfy my requirements. It is your distro and artistx which inspired me to develope my own, primarily because even your product uses old kernels and no frequent updates. Also I don't understand the glory of slackware! Give me ubuntu based dists any old day of the week!!! Whether i think your pricing is fair or not doesn't even matter, but I do think that you need to upgrade the usb dongles you are issuing. Now a 16gb dongle costs very little. I offered my own distro on sandisk cruzer extreme 16 Gb 256mb/s usb 3.0 which cost £20 a hit and add £2.00 for my efforts. That way I am selling-on a product, usb 3.0 stick with a great distro almost free thrown in. I notice that your site has an upped price of $75 !!

I wish you luck with selling your product and fruit of your skills; has anyone else tried to compile an aufs enabled RT kernel?? That is a brain "£$%&* right there! And your support is good too.

My advice is sell or sell specific features, but upgrade the hardware, and upgrade kernels more frequently. Make the older distros available through the forum and donate heavily to the development of software you include, like Ardour, Hydrogen, Jamin, Jack Audio, etc

Marcos

EDIT: but give me a free copy first! Wink
l0wt3ch

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 14:32    Post_subject:  

Hi Marcos, nice to talk to you again.

I've essentially been experimenting the last couple months with selling the same software on my site that I have already given away for free here. Hasn't really worked out though. Smile

My kernels are often updated, but I don't advertise it because there's no easy way to upgrade, and the kernel it came with at purchase time will work on the computers the customer owned at purchase time, too.

Thanks again for supporting 13.37, and good luck with your own distro. Smile

Edited_time_total
ciento

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jul 2014, 16:01    Post_subject:  

mcewanw wrote:

I've always felt that open source GPL type software keeps a lot of people out of a job, whereas Microsoft and so on provide employment for thousands of people, not that I otherwise feel positively towards Microsoft or similar.
William (an unemployed software/electronics engineer)

Microsoft just announced last week, proposed layoffs of 18,000.
(that should wake up the coders!)

I think the crashed economy is catching up with companies
that scated for years on profits that were greater than the
worth of the product. Companies are shedding dead weight,
and the survivors are picking up the slack, in survival mode, to keep
their employers in the black.

If it ain't happenin' in NZ, a few years in Texas may worth considering.
Low taxes, tons of jobs, great bar-b-que, and hot cowgirls!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 3 Posts_count   Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum