Pipelight / Silverlight on Slacko 5.6

Booting, installing, newbie
liro

Pipelight / Silverlight on Slacko 5.6

#1 Post by liro »

There's a video streaming website (not Netflix) that I can only run from Windows because it uses Silverlight.

Googling around a bit, I've read about the Pipelight plugin and was wondering if there is any way to get this working with Puppy Slacko 5.6 and Firefox?

On the Pipelight installation pages (http://pipelight.net/cms/installation.html), it gives instructions (well, links to another page) with instructions for Slackware installation: http://alien.slackbook.org/blog/pipelig ... -browsers/ ...But I don't know how to install the packages it mentions, and I'm not really sure if it's going to work with Puppy Slacko anyway...

Does anyone know if it's possible to do this? (and if so, do you have some simpler instructions? :P).

Thanks for any help.

Latitude

#2 Post by Latitude »

A year ago I managed to get Handbrake working on Puppy Slacko, which is a Frugal Install.

As far as I can remember I ran Puppy Slacko, opened the Puppy Package Manager, selected the Slackware repositories I wanted to use, then hit the "update" button and kept hitting "OK" to allow each update to happen.

Once that process was complete, I then searched for and found Handbrake in one of the Slackware repositories and when I installed it, I checked all the boxes to automatically:
- check for dependencies
- find and download dependencies
- install dependencies

Handbrake has a stack of dependencies and the Slackware repositories had all but one that I needed. So I Googled for the missing dependency, found it on an Alienware website and downloaded it to my Hard Drive.

I seem to remember I had to go back through the installation process all over again, but that probably just reflects that I'm not tech-savvy and didn't really know what I was doing. Anyway, I went back into the Puppy Package Manager and repeated the process, but this time when it got to the missing dependency I pointed the Package Manager to the Alienware file I'd downloaded and it was installed.

So I now have Handbrake 0.9.5. running in Puppy Slacko. I immediately renamed the Puppy Savefile and renamed it with Handbrake in the title, so I know that's the one that runs Handbrake, then I copied the Savefile to several Flash Drives where I keep backups of stuff.

Hope this helps.

Semme

#3 Post by Semme »

Maybe, just maybe you can mod these for Slacko >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94828
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

liro

#4 Post by liro »

Latitude wrote:
So I now have Handbrake 0.9.5. running in Puppy Slacko. I immediately renamed the Puppy Savefile and renamed it with Handbrake in the title, so I know that's the one that runs Handbrake, then I copied the Savefile to several Flash Drives where I keep backups of stuff.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Latitude. Unfortunately the required repositories don't appear in the PPM even after updating, so I can't use your solution here. Might well come in handy some other time though.
Semme wrote:Maybe, just maybe you can mod these for Slacko >> http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94828
Thanks Semme. I tried the instructions on that page (having no idea if it is even supposed to work with Slacko), got to the end where you test the plugin (here: http://fds-team.de/pipelight/) and the results were:

User agent (Javascript)
Checking for Windows user agent ...okay
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0

Silverlight (as seen by a website)
Checking for Silverlight ...failed

Pipelight
Checking for Pipelight ...okay

...So it seems it might have actually worked (?), but the website is not able to see Silverlight. If that's the case, what might be the problem that it's not seeing it? Thanks.

liro

#5 Post by liro »

BTW, there was one part of those instructions that I missed out. The bit where it says:

Make a symlink for Puppy, since wine is installed to /opt/wine-compholio/bin, instead of /usr/bin:
ln -s /opt/wine-compholio/bin/wine /usr/bin/wine

I just got the message: "ln: failed to create symbolic link 'usr/bin/wine': File exists

Semme

#6 Post by Semme »

Note this post. Does your setup mimic the one suggested by Shadower?
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

liro

#7 Post by liro »

Semme wrote:Note this post. Does your setup mimic the one suggested by Shadower?
I'm using a frugal install of Slacko 5.6 on an Ext4 partition of my laptop's hard drive. So I shouldn't need to use an external drive?

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Does your copy support xattr (cmd="which attr")? If not, I'll venture to guess PPM lists attr-2.4.x.

liro

#9 Post by liro »

I think so. According to PPM, attr-2.4.46 is already installed.

Semme

#10 Post by Semme »

If "which attr" doesn't return a confirmation, the devx isn't loaded.

liro

#11 Post by liro »

"which attr" returns "usr/bin/attr" with or without the devx loaded

Semme

#12 Post by Semme »

That Silverlight's so involved, you'll need to self troubleshoot or have someone with firsthand knowledge guide you.

liro

#13 Post by liro »

For the moment I think I'll just stick with Windows for using that particular website. Seems that Silvershi..light and Linux just don't get along. Thanks anyway for your help, Semme.

Semme

#14 Post by Semme »

You have chosen wisely. Really --there's NO point in struggling when it works with that *other* OS.