A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
drblock2

Skype mic cuts out after random time

#196 Post by drblock2 »

greengeek wrote:
Do you still get the same problem if you go into Skype options (audio) and untick the "allow skype to adjust my volume settings" (or similar wording)?
Excellent suggestion. I will try this out as soon as I can and report back.

drblock2

Skype mic cuts out after random time

#197 Post by drblock2 »

@greengeek

Finally got a chance to try this out. Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.

I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.

baszek

#198 Post by baszek »

Yeah - it is not working at my pc also.

peebee

Re: Skype mic cuts out after random time

#199 Post by peebee »

drblock2 wrote:Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.
I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.
I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.

What can we do to track down the cause of this?

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

CatDude

Re: Skype mic cuts out after random time

#200 Post by CatDude »

Hi
peebee wrote:I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.
I have the same problem too, the period before audio cuts out seems to be completely random.
peebee wrote:What can we do to track down the cause of this?
I would like to know the answer to that myself.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

watchdog

#201 Post by watchdog »

I'm not using skype in these days. I wonder if the mic cut-off problem depends on the apulse skype and if the pulseaudio skype is affected too.

OscarTalks

#202 Post by OscarTalks »

This is a bit of a puzzle and I am not sure how to approach it to be honest. Although I have put together some packages I have never encountered this problem but the truth is I hardly ever use Skype myself.

A few posts earlier, drblock2 mentioned that he/she had been able to skype-call for 2 hours without problems using the exact same software and hardware combination so from that I suspected that this may be some sort of network problem or an issue with the skype servers or nodes or whatever system it is they use. If it is unpredictable and intermittent this could still be the explanation.

Otherwise, anyone experiencing this problem needs to specify which skype package they are using. Is it one that I uploaded or someone else's or one that they have put together themselves?

Could this be a bug in apulse? I still have some of the slightly earlier packages with pulseaudio instead of apulse so maybe try one of those and see if the problem still persists.
Oscar in England

peebee

#203 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Otherwise, anyone experiencing this problem needs to specify which skype package they are using. Is it one that I uploaded or someone else's or one that they have put together themselves?

Could this be a bug in apulse? I still have some of the slightly earlier packages with pulseaudio instead of apulse so maybe try one of those and see if the problem still persists.
I am using:
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4. ... ko14.0.sfs dated 09/may/2015

but on a Slacko6Beta2 derivative which = Slackware14.1...........

from pkgs.org there is:
http://pkgs.org/slackware-14.1/slackonl ... k.txz.html

which sounds quite recent - 25/may/2015 so maybe that is worth trying??

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

OscarTalks

#204 Post by OscarTalks »

Looking at the apulse page on github I see that there were no commits after Jan 03rd until a load of frantic commit activity on May 25th so it may be that something came to the author's attention and he has tried to fix it. Might not be that at all though of course.

What I might do is compile the latest snapshot and see if that fixes it. This could be why the Slackware one shows that date.

If it is a bug in the apulse source code then I would presume that the Skype with pulseaudio will not have this problem so if anyone can try that it would be an interesting test (or if anyone is running the pulseaudio version and has experienced the problem perhaps they could chime in and let us know).
Oscar in England

drblock2

Skype 4.3 apulse problem

#205 Post by drblock2 »

I am using the same package as peebee, skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.sfs with Slacko 5.7 k3.4.82 on an Acer Aspire One.

OscarTalks

#206 Post by OscarTalks »

Well I have now compiled the latest snapshot of apulse in 4 different Pups and these have been substituted in all the packages (lucid, precise, slacko14.0 and wheezy).

These now carry "apulse3" in the name because they are my third build of apulse. You can distinguish them from older packages this way. No guarantee that this has fixed the problem of course, but please try them out and report back.

All uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

mcewanw

#207 Post by mcewanw »

Just confirming that, using Skype 4.3.0.37 in DebianDog-openbox-wheezy and the apulse from DebianDog repository mic also cuts off after some limited time (I can't remember how long before cuts off). I also suspect apulse but haven't had time/opportunity to try pulseaudio alternative.

William
github mcewanw

peebee

#208 Post by peebee »

@OscarTalks

Using skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-slacko14.0.sfs
on LxPup-15.06
i.e. Slackware 14.1 base

Have run tests making a Skype video and mic call between 2 accounts, one on my desktop and one on my laptop.......mic on desktop fed by sound from speakers on desktop

No mic dropouts experienced with new apulse3 version, but my desktop did crash after about 30 mins - but that may have been because my sound source was an internet radio station.....

Fingers crossed so far!!
Cheers & thanks
peebee

OscarTalks

#209 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello William,

Not sure if I am looking at the same apulse in the DebianDog repo but it looks like that one was compiled some time ago so I would suggest that whoever maintains that (Toni?) should perhaps try compiling the latest apulse master snapshot or latest release and substituting that in the repo.

Some of those commits on May 25th do look as though they may be attempting to fix the sort of problem that people are describing, but this is something that may take a little time for results to filter through.

It seems unlikely that the bug is in the skype program itself as this would have surely been more widely reported. Most larger linux distros do contain pulseaudio. It is only the likes of Puppy in which we have had to use apulse as a workaround. Also let's not forget that apulse is fairly new and developed by just one guy. It is possible that the bug is in apulse and still remains despite his latest commits but we will have to see.

The last time I used skype for any length of time was a few months ago and I don't remember this problem happening, but when I looked at the version I was using it was in Slacko 5.7 and was with pulseaudio. If we were to get any confirmed reports of this fault happening with pulseaudio then that would of course change the focus of this "investigation".
Oscar in England

d4rkn1ght

#210 Post by d4rkn1ght »

Puppy Lucid 2.2.8

Using: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-lucid.pet

Mic doesn't work at all. :(

OscarTalks

#211 Post by OscarTalks »

@peebee
Thanks for testing and reporting. Was it just the skype program that crashed? Sometimes it doesn't like sharing a soundcard with other programs such as media players so as you say that could have been the cause. Hopefully folks will continue to test things out and let's see where it goes.
d4rkn1ght wrote:Puppy Lucid 2.2.8
Mic doesn't work at all
This is a different issue and probably needs you to set your mixer and/or soundcards settings correctly. Otherwise you need to give more information about what you are doing and eg did a previous version of skype in Lucid 5.2.8 (I presume this is what you mean) work?
Oscar in England

d4rkn1ght

#212 Post by d4rkn1ght »

OscarTalks wrote:@peebee
Thanks for testing and reporting. Was it just the skype program that crashed? Sometimes it doesn't like sharing a soundcard with other programs such as media players so as you say that could have been the cause. Hopefully folks will continue to test things out and let's see where it goes.
d4rkn1ght wrote:Puppy Lucid 2.2.8
Mic doesn't work at all
This is a different issue and probably needs you to set your mixer and/or soundcards settings correctly. Otherwise you need to give more information about what you are doing and eg did a previous version of skype in Lucid 5.2.8 (I presume this is what you mean) work?
The only way I can get Skype to fully work again is by installing the skype-4.2.0.13-lucid.pet over this version. :?

OscarTalks

#213 Post by OscarTalks »

d4rkn1ght wrote:The only way I can get Skype to fully work again is by installing the skype-4.2.0.13-lucid.pet over this version
So you mean you have previously taken steps to install a workaround in order to be able to use the earlier skype? (Otherwise those earlier skypes don't work any more). I would suggest you remove all traces of that before starting again with the current skype.

I don't normally run Lucid but I did boot into it to do a test of this skype just now and it was all working for me. As I said, you need to check mixer (especially capture) settings. Then soundcard selection (if using a USB mic for example) is done by editing the /usr/bin/skype file (it can not be done via the options GUI as it was in the older skypes).
Oscar in England

peebee

#214 Post by peebee »

OscarTalks wrote:Was it just the skype program that crashed?
Sadly not - it was the complete pc that crashed needing a power off button pushed to "recover"........but as I mentioned I was hammering the internet with both Skype video and internet radio through Chromium............

d4rkn1ght

#215 Post by d4rkn1ght »

OscarTalks wrote:I would suggest you remove all traces of that before starting again with the current skype.
I've always been cautious about uninstalling things in Linux. Uninstalling sometimes take functionality from other apps. But I did what you said, and it's working perfect now. 8)

Thanks! :)