Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Jan 2018, 01:39
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 18 [266 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 Next
drblock2

PostPosted: Sun 28 Jun 2015, 18:36    Post subject: Skype mic cuts out after random time  

greengeek wrote:
Quote:
Do you still get the same problem if you go into Skype options (audio) and untick the "allow skype to adjust my volume settings" (or similar wording)?

Excellent suggestion. I will try this out as soon as I can and report back.
drblock2

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul 2015, 06:37    Post subject: Skype mic cuts out after random time  

@greengeek

Finally got a chance to try this out. Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.

I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.
baszek

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul 2015, 13:21    Post subject:  

Yeah - it is not working at my pc also.
peebee

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 05:59    Post subject: Re: Skype mic cuts out after random time  

drblock2 wrote:
Unfortunately, no go. Sound cuts out as before.
I will try experimenting with fixed settings for mic input.

I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.

What can we do to track down the cause of this?

Thanks
peebee

CatDude

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 06:56    Post subject: Re: Skype mic cuts out after random time  

Hi

peebee wrote:
I also have this problem where Skype mic input cuts out after a period of time on a call.....video continues OK.........mic returns if call is closed down and restarted.

I have the same problem too, the period before audio cuts out seems to be completely random.

peebee wrote:
What can we do to track down the cause of this?

I would like to know the answer to that myself.

CatDude

watchdog

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 07:10    Post subject:  

I'm not using skype in these days. I wonder if the mic cut-off problem depends on the apulse skype and if the pulseaudio skype is affected too.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 07:11    Post subject:  

This is a bit of a puzzle and I am not sure how to approach it to be honest. Although I have put together some packages I have never encountered this problem but the truth is I hardly ever use Skype myself.

A few posts earlier, drblock2 mentioned that he/she had been able to skype-call for 2 hours without problems using the exact same software and hardware combination so from that I suspected that this may be some sort of network problem or an issue with the skype servers or nodes or whatever system it is they use. If it is unpredictable and intermittent this could still be the explanation.

Otherwise, anyone experiencing this problem needs to specify which skype package they are using. Is it one that I uploaded or someone else's or one that they have put together themselves?

Could this be a bug in apulse? I still have some of the slightly earlier packages with pulseaudio instead of apulse so maybe try one of those and see if the problem still persists.

peebee

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 07:32    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
Otherwise, anyone experiencing this problem needs to specify which skype package they are using. Is it one that I uploaded or someone else's or one that they have put together themselves?

Could this be a bug in apulse? I still have some of the slightly earlier packages with pulseaudio instead of apulse so maybe try one of those and see if the problem still persists.

I am using:
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.sfs dated 09/may/2015

but on a Slacko6Beta2 derivative which = Slackware14.1...........

from pkgs.org there is:
http://pkgs.org/slackware-14.1/slackonly-i486/apulse-20150525-i486-1_slack.txz.html

which sounds quite recent - 25/may/2015 so maybe that is worth trying??

Cheers
peebee

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 08:48    Post subject:  

Looking at the apulse page on github I see that there were no commits after Jan 03rd until a load of frantic commit activity on May 25th so it may be that something came to the author's attention and he has tried to fix it. Might not be that at all though of course.

What I might do is compile the latest snapshot and see if that fixes it. This could be why the Slackware one shows that date.

If it is a bug in the apulse source code then I would presume that the Skype with pulseaudio will not have this problem so if anyone can try that it would be an interesting test (or if anyone is running the pulseaudio version and has experienced the problem perhaps they could chime in and let us know).

drblock2

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 11:30    Post subject: Skype 4.3 apulse problem  

I am using the same package as peebee, skype-4.3.0.37-apulse-slacko14.0.sfs with Slacko 5.7 k3.4.82 on an Acer Aspire One.
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Fri 24 Jul 2015, 12:11    Post subject:  

Well I have now compiled the latest snapshot of apulse in 4 different Pups and these have been substituted in all the packages (lucid, precise, slacko14.0 and wheezy).

These now carry "apulse3" in the name because they are my third build of apulse. You can distinguish them from older packages this way. No guarantee that this has fixed the problem of course, but please try them out and report back.

All uploaded as .pet and .sfs to:-
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks

mcewanw

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 03:14    Post subject:  

Just confirming that, using Skype 4.3.0.37 in DebianDog-openbox-wheezy and the apulse from DebianDog repository mic also cuts off after some limited time (I can't remember how long before cuts off). I also suspect apulse but haven't had time/opportunity to try pulseaudio alternative.

William

peebee

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 07:43    Post subject:  

@OscarTalks

Using skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-slacko14.0.sfs
on LxPup-15.06
i.e. Slackware 14.1 base

Have run tests making a Skype video and mic call between 2 accounts, one on my desktop and one on my laptop.......mic on desktop fed by sound from speakers on desktop

No mic dropouts experienced with new apulse3 version, but my desktop did crash after about 30 mins - but that may have been because my sound source was an internet radio station.....

Fingers crossed so far!!
Cheers & thanks
peebee

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 08:21    Post subject:  

Hello William,

Not sure if I am looking at the same apulse in the DebianDog repo but it looks like that one was compiled some time ago so I would suggest that whoever maintains that (Toni?) should perhaps try compiling the latest apulse master snapshot or latest release and substituting that in the repo.

Some of those commits on May 25th do look as though they may be attempting to fix the sort of problem that people are describing, but this is something that may take a little time for results to filter through.

It seems unlikely that the bug is in the skype program itself as this would have surely been more widely reported. Most larger linux distros do contain pulseaudio. It is only the likes of Puppy in which we have had to use apulse as a workaround. Also let's not forget that apulse is fairly new and developed by just one guy. It is possible that the bug is in apulse and still remains despite his latest commits but we will have to see.

The last time I used skype for any length of time was a few months ago and I don't remember this problem happening, but when I looked at the version I was using it was in Slacko 5.7 and was with pulseaudio. If we were to get any confirmed reports of this fault happening with pulseaudio then that would of course change the focus of this "investigation".

d4rkn1ght

PostPosted: Sat 25 Jul 2015, 08:46    Post subject:  

Puppy Lucid 2.2.8

Using: skype-4.3.0.37-apulse3-lucid.pet

Mic doesn't work at all. Sad
Page 14 of 18 [266 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: