A workable way to install skype 4.3 in puppy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
joaomcteixeira

#161 Post by joaomcteixeira »

Hi There,

I have installed skype-4.3.0.37-w5orig.pet and pulse audio, I do have audio in skype but the internal mic don't work. I do can record my voice with the internal mic using pAVrecord.

any help?

thanks in advance.

stemsee

#162 Post by stemsee »

@luiscuadrado

sounds like a throttled connection. What is your connection speed?

jhecht

#163 Post by jhecht »

A short question now, and a longer one after I've rested. Installing Skype on Slacko Puppy 5.7.0 has me pulling what hair I have left out (sigh).

In this thread, there's a test for processor type.
Page 9 of the notes has an entry that says try the following in a terminal window to check if SSE processor is present:
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo (one space after $ and one space after cat)

I opened a terminal, typed it exactly as indicated, and got:
bash: $: command not found
Note the second ':' after the '$' - which I did not type. What am I doing wrong - or what's happening if my syntax is correct?

Thanks in advance! :)
John Hechtman / www.zenarrow.com / jhecht@ix.netcom.com
"Computer help in NYC" / 917 628 0192 - cell / 212 586 4633 - landline

watchdog

#164 Post by watchdog »

Type in console as you open it without spaces:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Alternatively open Menu-System-HardInfo hardware information. Highlight Processor.

jhecht

#165 Post by jhecht »

watchdog wrote:Type in console as you open it without spaces:

cat /proc/cpuinfo
Alternatively open Menu-System-HardInfo hardware information. Highlight Processor.
Beaucoup thanks watchdog! Worked perfectly. But I didn't hallucinate the '$' earlier in this thread - that post should be fixed or deleted by someone. It was posted by Saintless at 4:20 on Aug 27, 2014. 4:20? Hmm, I could use some 420 after that glitch (wink).

Yo Saintless - are you still following this thread? If so, please edit your posting? Thanks!

And sadly, an earlier post by BCS has the same '$' error. Yo BCS...

saintless

#166 Post by saintless »

Yo Saintless - are you still following this thread? If so, please edit your posting? Thanks!
The cpuinfo command is quoted from another forum (the link is also in my post on page 9):
http://community.skype.com/t5/Linux/Sky ... 892/page/9
I can't edit something written from other person and the $ part shows the command must be executed in terminal (console). You can find the same examples in many linux instructions (including cpuinfo like this one):
http://www.binarytides.com/linux-cpu-information/
Using linux is involved with some learning about console commands synthacsis.

neerajkolte

#167 Post by neerajkolte »

In a Linux terminal every new line contains $ or # as a start, you don't have to type it, it's given by the terminal.

$ is given if you are a normal user
and
# is given if you are root.

So in puppy you will find # and in other distros $ (unless they open terminal as root).

- Neeraj.
"One of my most productive days was throwing away 1000 lines of code."
- Ken Thompson

“We tend to overestimate the effect of a technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.â€￾
- Amara’s Law.

jhecht

#168 Post by jhecht »

neerajkolte wrote:In a Linux terminal every new line contains $ or # as a start, you don't have to type it, it's given by the terminal.

$ is given if you are a normal user
and
# is given if you are root.

So in puppy you will find # and in other distros $ (unless they open terminal as root).
D@mn, that's good to know! So the error was/is by the original poster(s) who said to type lines >including< the $ symbol. Thanks!

jhecht

#169 Post by jhecht »

...I can't edit something written from other person and the $ part shows the command must be executed in terminal (console). You can find the same examples in many linux instructions
True - but you can add a line saying "Don't type the $/# symbol - it is provided by the console/terminal at the start of each line. The best instructions are - as much as possible - self contained and assume no prior knowledge, as the expertise level of each reader will vary greatly.
Using linux is involved with some learning about console commands synthacsis.
Also true, and we are all always learning. That's part of the fun. But learning is accelerated when confusing points are clearly explained - even though it may seem a bit verbose. Thanks for your help. :)

saintless

#170 Post by saintless »

jhecht wrote:...but you can add a line saying "Don't type the $/# symbol - it is provided by the console/terminal at the start of each line.
Yes, no problem to add such line in my post. Done:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 788#796788
Still there are thousends instructions without explaining why $ symbol is there and this does not make them misleading.
$ / # / > / % and others are actually shell prompt symbols explained properly in different documentation and this is the right place this information belongs in my opinion. Here for example if you like to read more about:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guide_to_U ... ell_Prompt
Look for "Appearance of the prompt" and "Root shell prompt" in the middle of the page.

jhecht

#171 Post by jhecht »

jhecht wrote:...but you can add a line saying "Don't type the $/# symbol - it is provided by the console/terminal at the start of each line.
saintless wrote:Yes, no problem to add such line in my post. Done:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 788#796788
Perfect edit - thank you! :) Short and lucid - it improves the post.
saintless wrote:Still there are thousends instructions without explaining why $ symbol is there and this does not make them misleading.
I respectfully disagree - they are (unintentionally) misleading. Just because something is ubiquitous does not make it correct.
saintless wrote:$ / # / > / % and others are actually shell prompt symbols explained properly in different documentation and this is the right place this information belongs in my opinion.
It is (IMO) >one< place for the (full) explanation of usage - and a good one. Including a URL link as you kindly did below is also good. Again, the link can be terse - e.g. for info on use of the $ / # / > / % symbols see http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guide_to_U ... ell_Prompt
Look for "Appearance of the prompt" and "Root shell prompt" in the middle of the page. That's long, but very accurate - good work on your part to provide it. :)

What I'm trying to bring out - and perhaps not being clear enough, is that if I say to type (e.g.) balderdash, the line should be type: balderdash, not type $balderdash, or #balderdash. Why? because >you< do not type the $ or #, they are provided by the terminal/console.

saintless

#172 Post by saintless »

jhecht wrote:What I'm trying to bring out - and perhaps not being clear enough, is that if I say to type (e.g.) balderdash, the line should be type: balderdash, not type $balderdash, or #balderdash. Why? because >you< do not type the $ or #, they are provided by the terminal/console.
Yes, sometimes mistakes happen. Then we need more instructions like this one:
How to boot into ISO files WITHOUT BURNING CD!
Shame I can't find "Do not use real fire!" in burning CD/DVD instructions. It could prevent such mistakes:
I wanted to burn a CD so I lit it on fire and now it does not work, how can I fix it?

slenkar

#173 Post by slenkar »

is there a script that I can add
pulseaudio --start
to so it does it every time the computer starts up?
i tried adding it to etc/profile but it seems to execute too early as it always fails

OscarTalks

#174 Post by OscarTalks »

slenkar wrote:is there a script that I can add
pulseaudio --start
to so it does it every time the computer starts up?
You could do, but I don't think it is the best way of doing things. Someone will correct me if I am wrong but I think you really only want pulseaudio running when you need it (which is only for Skype as other Puppy programs don't use it). Since pulseaudio --start is included in the Skype launcher/wrapper script (at least it is in my Puppy packages) this means that it will be running when needed but not running when not needed. Is there some reason why you would want it running at other times?
Oscar in England

slenkar

#175 Post by slenkar »

for some strange reason my sound is at a lower pitch than normal people's voices on youtube videos sound weird.
pulse doesnt have these issues

jhecht

#176 Post by jhecht »

saintless wrote: Yes, sometimes mistakes happen. Then we need more instructions like this one:
How to boot into ISO files WITHOUT BURNING CD!
Shame I can't find "Do not use real fire!" in burning CD/DVD instructions. It could prevent such mistakes:
I wanted to burn a CD so I lit it on fire and now it does not work, how can I fix it?
I don't know whether you're trying to be humorous or sarcastic. Either way, IMO, you're not being very helpful ATM.

Clear, well written instructions are >always< useful. They may appear verbose to someone who already knows the process under discussion, but the extra detail can be very useful to new users, or people who just don't know that particular trick.

FWIW, I'm a published technical writer, so this is a somewhat educated opinion. Check out my book on audio wiring - it's gotten d@mn good reviews! https://www.scribd.com/doc/16575980/Audio-Wiring-Guide

Another URL is http://books.google.com/books?id=xKdIVa ... &q&f=false

saintless

#177 Post by saintless »

jhecht wrote:FWIW, I'm a published technical writer, so this is a somewhat educated opinion.
Edicated man should avoid spamming threads, should know how to use url tag and should not use words like "IMO, ATM, FWIW, d@mn" while whining about $ symbol. Your whining should be replaced with more reading and less bloaviating. Let this thread serves skype users or continue spamming. The choice is yours.
For me further dicussion with you is a waste of time.

jhecht

#178 Post by jhecht »

saintless wrote: Edicated man should avoid spamming threads, should know how to use url tag and should not use words like "IMO, ATM, FWIW, d@mn" while whining about $ symbol. Your whining should be replaced with more reading and less bloaviating. Let this thread serves skype users or continue spamming. The choice is yours.
For me further dicussion with you is a waste of time.
Saintless, you're a skilled Puppy user, and I respect that. But you're also rude, hostile and arrogant. I don't respect that. I've been courteous in all my traffic with you, and praised your input. But your bad attitude is something else... IMO, ATM, FWIW, etc. are useful because they >save time< for both the poster and the readers. Plus, you are the only one who seems bothered by their use. If you choose to not reply to my posts, that's fine with me.

watchdog

Manual install of skype4.3 in fatdog64-700rc

#179 Post by watchdog »

The guys who are developing fatdog had already resolved the skype4.3 install in fatdog but I was unlucky and something did not work with their official skype sfs. So I post how I managed a working solution for me (I'm new to 64 bit installs: note that skype is 32bit and needs multilib to work on 64bit installs).
Download:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/70 ... -4.7.1.sfs

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/sfs/70 ... acko-3.sfs

Load these two sfs.

Download pulseaudio-2.0.txz derived from my pulseaudio compiled and packaged in w53orig (see in this thread):

https://copy.com/jfkbRg6uhjBHOrwq

Install pulseaudio. Untar the skype-4.3.0.37.tar.bz2 in /usr/share. Rename the dir /usr/share/skype-4.3.0.37 as /usr/share/skype. Create a file /usr/bin/skype4.3 with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=/opt/qt4-32/plugins
export QT4DIR="/opt/qt4-32"
export QTDIR="/opt/qt4-32"
export PATH=${PATH}:"/opt/qt4-32/bin"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:"/opt/qt4-32/lib"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}:"/opt/qt4-32/lib/pkgconfig"
export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH="/opt/qt4-32/include"
pulseaudio --start
/usr/share/skype/skype %U
pulseaudio --kill
Give to /usr/bin/skype4.3 execute permissions. Create a link to the desktop from /usr/bin/skype4.3. Click on the link to the desktop to launch skype4.3. It worked for me.
Last edited by watchdog on Fri 20 Feb 2015, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.

rufwoof

#180 Post by rufwoof »

Ol' Wary 5.5 (.1 with the service pack to get rid of the trash burp sound) with 3.10 kernel dropped in works fine with Skype 4.3 (wrapped inside activate/deactivate pulse audio).

I can watch/listen to video's via screen/speakers whilst simultaneously making telephone calls using Skype (using headphone/mic headset).

I just have a desktop icon linked to a script containing

#!/bin/bash
pulseaudio --start