Can swap file manager run swap in a live multi-sessn dvd?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
rbrehton

Can swap file manager run swap in a live multi-sessn dvd?

#1 Post by rbrehton »

I want to run puppy 431 or wary with the autosave file on a live multi-session dvd. Can I use swap file manager to run the swap file on the dvd too?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

No you can't put a swap file on the DVD. Is that what you mean? Please tell us how much RAM you have.

rbrehton

#3 Post by rbrehton »

I have approx. 500 mb RAM. I have a 4 gb flash drive with about 1.7 gb free. It will be a little while before I can buy another one. The hard drive may or may not be usable, I'm having trouble formatting it. Quick format gives me an error and standard format requires about 3 days with this computer. Was able to install puppy 431 just now and currently running with browser and 2 tabs open, 239M free.

edit -- I booted not installed. This is what I want, to boot off cd or dvd.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

With 500 MB of RAM, you don't need swap memory unless you plan to do something that uses an inordinate amount of RAM, like compiling or working with very large files such as images. I've run Puppy with no problems from multisession DVD in several computers that had only 500 MB of RAM and no hard disk, so no swap. You could put a swap partiton on the flash drive and Puppy would find and use it, but there's no need. By the way, only save Puppy-related stuff on the multisession DVD. Other stuff, save on the flash drive. That way, Puppy uses the least RAM when it boots.

partsman

#5 Post by partsman »

Hello all :wink:
Just thought I would add that if you do choose to make a swap file
you can do so an a hard drive or flash drive But not on the CD itself :wink:
Also when you boot your M/S CD puppy will find and mount any swap partitions automatically :wink:
Hope this helps :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

rbrehton

#6 Post by rbrehton »

So how can I save puppy related files to the multi-session CD or DVD? Can I also add a PET package or install additional drivers on the multi-session disk? Is there a tutorial that covers this? I'm interested in updating the browser if possible too.

partsman

#7 Post by partsman »

rbrehton wrote:So how can I save puppy related files to the multi-session CD or DVD? Can I also add a PET package or install additional drivers on the multi-session disk? Is there a tutorial that covers this?
Here is a link that may help you:

http://www.puppylinux.com/multi-puppy.htm
Basically when you shut puppy down for the first time it will ask you where to save !
Make sure the dvd is in the tray and choose shutdown or reboot puppy should guide you from there.
NOTICE : Puppy will ask you where to save only when there is no save file being used when it is booted.
If you have a save file already just boot your puppy dvd and at the splash with 5sec wait
just press F2 and type : puppy pfix=ram and press enter.
I recommend that after you get through personal settings you restart X then reboot and
make your first save.
Also if you would need a good dvd burning program puppy has that too.
Burniso2cd works perfect for making a M/S DVD Yes use a DVD !
In win-doze image burn works well too.
Notice : When you make your M/S DVD make sure that you do not close the session
if you use anything besides burniso2cd on a puppy.
Imageburn can be found here
http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
Post back if you need too !
Lots of people willing to help you along.
Welcome to puppy friend.
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

By Puppy related stuff, I meant things like .pets you installed and want to keep in Puppy. In that case, you simply choose to save when shutting down (or use the Save icon on multisession Puppy's desktop.)

If you haven't yet run Puppy from a multisession CD or DVD, the best way to learn is to just go ahead. Burn a CD or DVD (Puppy's Burniso2cd is the most reliable way in my experience to burn a multisession CD or DVD, but Pburn also works and you might be able to do it from Windows,) boot it and take the plunge. All will become clear after you use it for a while.

rbrehton

#9 Post by rbrehton »

I burned the boot disk on another computer using K3b which supposedly creates a multi-session disk by default if there is plenty of unused disk space left. It's saving sessions during shutdown, so I assume it's saving to the dvd. The autosave is going to a USB file. At the bottom of the screen it says I have 498M free. This computer only has about 500M of RAM. How can so much memory still be available or is this correct?

Is it possible to update the browser and still run this version of Puppy from DVD?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

It sounds like you may have chosen the wrong option to create a multisession CD or DVD. The DVD was probably burned correctly, but I think you chose to create a Save file somewhere, either in a hard disk drive or in your USB flash drive, the first time you shut Puppy down. No harm done, as this is the original way to run Puppy. However, you need to find out where that Save file is. What happens if you unplug the flash drive and then boot the Puppy DVD? If it boots to a pristine Puppy without any of the changes you made and saved, then you put a Save file on the flash drive.

rbrehton

#11 Post by rbrehton »

You're right, I noticed that last night when shutting down. It's saving the session to the USB. So I should burn the dvd again using the puppy software you recommend to make a mult-session disk.

partsman

#12 Post by partsman »

No need to burn another cd just make sure that puppy cant find save file :D
In your case unplug your USB then boot puppy ! when you shutdown chose save to cd/dvd
that will create your M/S cd/dvd :wink:

rbrehton

#13 Post by rbrehton »

I shut down without the usb flash. I thought it saved my session automatically without asking me where to save because it remembered settings and my email password. But when I went to shut down again, it asked me where to save and I chose save to cd/dvd. It wouldn't allow me to save, saying I need to burn another multi-session disk. So I shut down without saving the session. The first shutdown was odd because it seemed to save and it rebooted even though I selected shutdown, not reboot. The hard drive isn't usable at the moment unless I do a standard format.

I bought a new blank dvd-rw. There is another computer here with Ubuntu. I don't trust K3b, can't seem to get it to burn a multi-session disk. The interface doesn't seem well designed in some respects, unclear. I want to use burniso2cd. When browsing for the file, I can't find the usb drive even though it's mounted. Will it recognize the usb drive?

rbrehton

#14 Post by rbrehton »

Hey, I was reading the link that partsman posted and it says that when puppy tells me to make a new cd/dvd, it can do that for me and I just need to insert a blank disk-rw. I'll see if I can do this.

Update -- I tried it with a blank dvd-rw and it ejected after about 5 seconds, saying it saved the session to live dvd. It couldn't have created a new bootable puppy in 5 seconds like I read about in the link.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#15 Post by Flash »

Ah, I'm afraid there's bad news. Laptop CD/DVD drives have a problem with multisession. There seems to be a difference between laptop drives and desktop drives. Some laptops can run multisession, many can't.

If a different brand of DVD won't make it work, I guess you'll have to settle for putting a save file on your flash drive.

Are you aware of the option of installing Puppy on the flash drive? It's called a frugal install. That way, you don't foot from a CD or DVD, but from the flash drive. Of course, your laptop's BIOS must have the option to boot from USB.

partsman

#16 Post by partsman »

Hmmmm :?
Could be Flash :shock:
Just curious rbrehton what kind of box you running ?
Be specific :D
Maybe someone else with the same hardware could confirm :wink:
Maybe even more important is what puppy are using ?

rbrehton

#17 Post by rbrehton »

It's an HP ze5185 Pavilion laptop and I'm using pup-431-k2.6.25.16-intel_modems.iso

It seems to work well in this machine, except for saving sessions on disk but I can save them in the usb drive. I've been using a dvd-rw and I read now that a dvd-r is recommended, but that wouldn't be causing the problem would it?

I was able to successfully burn a multi-session dvd using K3b. I think it worked before by default to burn in multi-session mode, but this time I was sure because I found the right menu. I used a new dvd-rw but it still didn't allow save to disk at shutdown. I'll save to usb.

Any way to install updates like a PET package and an updated browser, maybe with a different computer to write to the disk? Or can it work somehow with files on the usb drive to load during boot?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

No need to make coasters. In my experience, if a rewritable DVD won't work, neither will a write-once DVD.

With a Save file on your flash drive, any changes you make to Puppy will be there when you reboot.

partsman

#19 Post by partsman »

OK rbrehton :wink:
Try using pup-431-k2.6.25.16.iso here :
http://ftp.nluug.nl/os/Linux/distr/pupp ... up-431.iso
If you have video issues after making a M/S dvd we see prob easy fix :wink:
Also make sure that when you put your dvd in the tray give it time to spin down before trying to save :wink:

partsman

#20 Post by partsman »

Flash wrote:No need to make coasters. In my experience, if a rewritable DVD won't work, neither will a write-once DVD.
No offense ! Flash you have been around longer than me but I have nothing but problems with RW-DVD's :?