Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 17:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
mouldy

PostPosted: Wed 09 Jul 2014, 15:32    Post_subject:  Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter  

I am moving to pay as you go mobile broadband from dialup. Cheapest way to do this for me was Straight Talk hotspot from Wallyworld. They dont offer a usb modem just the stupid hotspot. So I needed a wifi adapter for my desktop computer to connect to the hotspot.

Lot of these generic usb wifi adapters with this MT/RT chipset. I bought one off ebay without thinking (or investigating) cause it said works in linux. $3 shipped, on slow boat from China, so you know its going to be quality.... LOL

Well it does work ok (tested it with XP), and in linux if you compile the driver from source. Source file for linux comes on the cd that has the windows driver. Yes major PITA if you arent set up to compile stuff. Luckily I had just recently compiled driver for dialup modem. Anyway this wifi adapter uses the rt2870 module. I was all concerned cause a google said this had to be patched before compiling on linux distribution with newer 3.x.x kernel. I found the patch and instructions here: http://www.kyoushuu.com/compiling-rt2870-wifi-driver-in-fedora/

Was having incredible problems trying to patch the thing, then just tried compiling it without patch. It threw up lot warnings, but finally compiled and installed!!!! Using it now. Guess some chinese guy that made the cd was on ball and included an already patched version!??? Its good little wifi adapter once its got its driver.

But if I knew then what I know now, and after lot reading, I would have looked for cheap wifi adapter using Atheros AR9271 chipset. Found one for like $6.50 shipped, again on slow boat from China. But Slacko 5.3.3 I am using already has module for this as do newer kernel puppies. Always nice to not have to compile a driver so when I upgrade to newer Puppy with newer kernel, dont have to go through hassle all over again.
ardvark

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jul 2014, 23:12    Post_subject: Re: Ralink 148F:7601 usb wifi adapter  

mouldy wrote:
But if I knew then what I know now, and after lot reading, I would have looked for cheap wifi adapter using Atheros AR9271 chipset. Found one for like $6.50 shipped, again on slow boat from China. But Slacko 5.3.3 I am using already has module for this as do newer kernel puppies. Always nice to not have to compile a driver so when I upgrade to newer Puppy with newer kernel, dont have to go through hassle all over again.

Hi...

I picked up an adapter from ThinkPenguin.com that has the same exact chipset. I've been using it with Precise 5.6.1 and it's always worked like a champ. Smile

Regards...

PLEASE READ! You don't have to end up here!
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 1 of 1 Posts_count  
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum